TOTW closed July 4th for paid event

I agree with this in regards to NYE. In regards to 7/4, it’s very typical for fireworks to occur on any number of days throughout the week in most municipalities. There are so many places to view fireworks from at WDW. While I don’t necessarily agree with what appears to be a greedy decision, I personally don’t even think that’s the best place to view those fireworks.

The reason we like it is it’s so crowded and hot that day and TOTW takes care of both those things. I don’t dare go near the parks that night.

No it was always listed. It was just that they didn't publish it continuing through 2019 until February I think. Perhaps that is what you are referring too.
Yep, that's what I'm talking about. They failed to include it going forward, implying they have had other plans at least since whatever date that product was published.

Before we owned at BLT, we would go into MK on the 3rd, and 30th to see the “practice “ fireworks. MK gets so crowded on those nights, I can’t imagine what it’s like on the “real” nights! I find it easier to be in Epcot then. We would pay for experiences that get us out of the crowd on the special nights, for instance the Epcot fireworks boats cost us $100 per person on NYE, and that was years ago, we did it twice and thought it was worth it. I do understand why they are now charging for the TOTW Experience on the 4th and 31st, I do not like it, and think for this year, on the 4th, they should be ashamed of what they have done to the members who expected to be up there as part of their BLT reservation.

California Grill and Top of the World are separate. Are you referring to going back to California Grill later, which normally California Grill allows? If so I’d call to check as California Grill is also having a party for the 4th.

As for Top of the World it used be BLT guests on the 4th but now it’s exclusive to those that paid for the party.
Yes, we have a 5:15 reservation and was planning to go back later for fireworks. Do I call main Disney number or is there a direct number for California Grill?

The reason we like it is it’s so crowded and hot that day and TOTW takes care of both those things. I don’t dare go near the parks that night.

JMHO epcot’s On 7/4 beats WDW hands down

This year on the 3rd we are doing Hoop de doo 4 pm show then boating over that night Just to do something different. I keep think ‘curiosity killed the cat’ lol. If it gets too gridlocked will retreat & view from TTC.

I am still so angry at DVC for literally screwing up our 4th of July plans. We own at BLT and specifically booked to allow us to view the fireworks from TOTW on the 4th. We did not even find out about the restriction except via various Facebook groups and that occurred inside of the 30 days restriction for changing a DVC reservation. (and the event sold out in 2 days as I am sure many who were originally "restricted" found out that they could book and thumb their nose at the BLT owners.) Disney has truly gone the way of other corporations that used to be noted for "Customer Service" such as airlines. They just don't care about their best customers! In 2016, we went to MK for July 4th and it was fun as we planned and had realistic expectations of "hot & crowded". In light of that, in 2017, we booked our room for BLT at 11 mos to use TOTW. At that time, the "rule" was that one could bring guests. In 2018, we booked our room at 11 mos again, and apparently the "rule" changed, and we were restricted to only those guests staying on our reservation. Despite calling and being told that more guests would be allowed, our guests not staying on our reservation were embarrassingly turned away at the elevator. For 2019, of course, we booked our room at 11 mos when the "rules" clearly stated July 3 & 4 were restricted for TOTW to those Members staying on DVC points at BLT. We invited the guests who had been turned away in 2018 to join us. So to find out on FB, not from DVC/Disney, that we would be restricted unless we wanted to pay the $120 pp fee, was a shock! I contacted Member Services and was told that the lounge was restricted but the fireworks viewing would be allowed. Since I never trust that info is correct, esp after the incident in 2018, I tried to reconfirm that on the Disney Parks Blog and was also told that yes we would be able to view the fireworks. Then later in the day, I had a note from DPB saying oops, we made a mistake and BLT guests could only view on 7/3. Now if I had known that at the 11-month booking, it would have been annoying, but acceptable. Why do we book under a certain "rule" that can be arbitrarily changed without notification? We've been DVC Members since the very first year of DVC, owning 7 contracts at 4 home resorts, and have only over the past couple of years seen this sort of treatment. It is very disappointing that Disney just does not care about anything but the dollars. We often visit TOTW and we usually go for the whole evening, w/ guests, spending a good amount on food & drink there. The lounge does fill up as it is fairly small and I have often seen SRO w/ a very long line for the bar. I just have a very bad taste left after this experience and will encourage potential DVC buyers to be even more cautious. We were considering New Years eve but after this experience, we canceled those thoughts. At least DVC changed the website after all of this to say the lounge is closed on 12/31 but even that is outside of the 11-month booking and there will be a lot of Members coming for NY eve only to learn that their plans were screwed as well. Sorry for the rant...I am drafting a letter to be sent to the powers that be (although only the underlings actually will see it). TY for listening and for the support I saw about the "inside 30 day" changes.

I am still so angry at DVC for literally screwing up our 4th of July plans. We own at BLT and specifically booked to allow us to view the fireworks from TOTW on the 4th. We did not even find out about the restriction except via various Facebook groups and that occurred inside of the 30 days restriction for changing a DVC reservation. (and the event sold out in 2 days as I am sure many who were originally "restricted" found out that they could book and thumb their nose at the BLT owners.) Disney has truly gone the way of other corporations that used to be noted for "Customer Service" such as airlines. They just don't care about their best customers! In 2016, we went to MK for July 4th and it was fun as we planned and had realistic expectations of "hot & crowded". In light of that, in 2017, we booked our room for BLT at 11 mos to use TOTW. At that time, the "rule" was that one could bring guests. In 2018, we booked our room at 11 mos again, and apparently the "rule" changed, and we were restricted to only those guests staying on our reservation. Despite calling and being told that more guests would be allowed, our guests not staying on our reservation were embarrassingly turned away at the elevator. For 2019, of course, we booked our room at 11 mos when the "rules" clearly stated July 3 & 4 were restricted for TOTW to those Members staying on DVC points at BLT. We invited the guests who had been turned away in 2018 to join us. So to find out on FB, not from DVC/Disney, that we would be restricted unless we wanted to pay the $120 pp fee, was a shock! I contacted Member Services and was told that the lounge was restricted but the fireworks viewing would be allowed. Since I never trust that info is correct, esp after the incident in 2018, I tried to reconfirm that on the Disney Parks Blog and was also told that yes we would be able to view the fireworks. Then later in the day, I had a note from DPB saying oops, we made a mistake and BLT guests could only view on 7/3. Now if I had known that at the 11-month booking, it would have been annoying, but acceptable. Why do we book under a certain "rule" that can be arbitrarily changed without notification? We've been DVC Members since the very first year of DVC, owning 7 contracts at 4 home resorts, and have only over the past couple of years seen this sort of treatment. It is very disappointing that Disney just does not care about anything but the dollars. We often visit TOTW and we usually go for the whole evening, w/ guests, spending a good amount on food & drink there. The lounge does fill up as it is fairly small and I have often seen SRO w/ a very long line for the bar. I just have a very bad taste left after this experience and will encourage potential DVC buyers to be even more cautious. We were considering New Years eve but after this experience, we canceled those thoughts. At least DVC changed the website after all of this to say the lounge is closed on 12/31 but even that is outside of the 11-month booking and there will be a lot of Members coming for NY eve only to learn that their plans were screwed as well. Sorry for the rant...I am drafting a letter to be sent to the powers that be (although only the underlings actually will see it). TY for listening and for the support I saw about the "inside 30 day" changes.

Thank you for writing the letter. So many post here and don’t take the next step to voice their concerns to DVC. I’m sorry your plans were messed up! The inside the 30 days is rediculous!

A report from Bay Lake on the 3rd at 8:00pm. My family just tried to go to TOTW for the fireworks tonight and it was already full. We are members, we own at Bay Lake, we are staying at Bay Lake, but can not access the lounge. The person at the elevator said it was busier than normal, my guess is because members are not allowed up on the 4th. It was only 8:00PM.

Fireworks on the 3rd for my family.... NOPE, fireworks on the 4th?, as member services told me when I called "Oh well". We have been locked out even though the website said we had access when we booked at 11 months out.

Is this how to treat members?
Is this what the management thinks of it membership?
How does my family feel we are being treated as members...

-A disappointed member

Yes. Whether you hold the points or resell them, they have their margin from you.

Although it is worth noting that last August, TOTW access was only published through 12/31/18 and nothing was mentioned for 2019 until well into 2019. We actually had weeks of speculation in January if access was about to be full cut off due to the lack of update.

Yes. Whether you hold the points or resell them, they have their margin from you.

Although it is worth noting that last August, TOTW access was only published through 12/31/18 and nothing was mentioned for 2019 until well into 2019. We actually had weeks of speculation in January if access was about to be full cut off due to the lack of update.

And just as worthy of note - It had always been extended. And it was extended. Then unextended just a short time before this week.

A report from Bay Lake on the 3rd at 8:00pm. My family just tried to go to TOTW for the fireworks tonight and it was already full. We are members, we own at Bay Lake, we are staying at Bay Lake, but can not access the lounge. The person at the elevator said it was busier than normal, my guess is because members are not allowed up on the 4th. It was only 8:00PM.

Fireworks on the 3rd for my family.... NOPE, fireworks on the 4th?, as member services told me when I called "Oh well". We have been locked out even though the website said we had access when we booked at 11 months out.

-A disappointed member

My reply isn’t to you directly I just quoted your post as it raises an interesting point of someone who was shut out two nights in a row for different reasons.

On the first night it’s free and open to staying members yet fills up to capacity so people were shut out by others getting there very early.

On the 2nd night it’s closed for paying guests and people were shut out for not wanting to pay.

So that always begs the question as to what is worse. Using your time or your money? If I had the choice of paying vs waiting for 3+hrs I’d probably pay. Not everyone feels the same and that’s ok.

Many people complaining that their plans were ruined....I get to the poor communication on disney’s part and I’m not for a second defending their decision to charge; but, the fact is not everyone that had a BLT reservation was going to get in there for the show anyway.

Let’s assume some numbers and say BLT has (I believe) 428 rooms booked with an average of 2 ppl per room so 856 guests. If the capacity is around 500 that means that only roughly 60% of guests will get in. Now granted not everyone staying would want to go but the fact is that if that was your plan you’d have to get there very early if you want a seat and there was a roughly 40% chance you were going to be shut out regardless.

In addition, If people are getting there 3+ hrs early then that is a lot of wasted revenue for the lounge. Some will by food/drink but I think it’s safe to say many would not or would not spend enough to cover the costs to run it.

I guess what I’m saying is no matter what; you can’t please everyone.

Last edited:
My reply isn’t to you directly I just quoted your post as it raises an interesting point of someone who was shut out two nights in a row for different reasons.

On the first night it’s free and open to staying members yet fills up to capacity so people were shut out by others getting there very early.

On the 2nd night it’s closed for paying guests and people were shut out for not wanting to pay.

So that always begs the question as to what is worse. Using your time or your money? If I had the choice of paying vs waiting for 3+hrs I’d probably pay. Not everyone feels the same and that’s ok.

TOTWL has a capacity of what 80 people? It’s been a while since I’ve been up there but if I remember the general complaints from before were that paying guests of the lounge were shut out for those that went there for the 20min fireworks show; then the place was deserted.

Many people complaining that their plans were ruined....I get to the poor communication on disney’s part and I’m not for a second defending their decision to charge; but, the fact is not everyone that had a BLT reservation was going to get in there for the show anyway.
Let’s assume some numbers and say BLT has (I believe) 428 rooms booked with an average of 2 ppl per room so 856 guests. If the capacity is around 80 that means that only roughly 10% of guests were going to be able to get in. Now granted not everyone staying would want to go but the fact is that if that was your plan you’d have to get there very early if you want a seat and there was a roughly 90% chance you were going to be shut out regardless.

In addition, If people are getting there 3+ hrs early then that is a lot of wasted revenue for the lounge. Some will by food/drink but I think it’s safe to say many would not or would not spend enough to cover the costs to run it.

We can then make the argument that “we’ll disney should have it a free event to reward its members” while the sentiment is true; is it fair to reward only 80ish members?

I guess what I’m saying is no matter what; you can’t please everyone.

Capacity for TOTWL is 499. Seating availabile inside has been 77. The entire area includes an indoor lounge and large outdoor viewing deck.

There's more than 80 people that are up there on a daily basis for fireworks viewing and lounge access I'd guess. It's much less exclusive than your statements.

-A disappointed member

I'm very sorry to hear that is how things went for you and guess that's what we can expect on Dec 30th. That's assuming they can't resist booking another paid event and kick the members out for both those nights even though they stated it would be open to BLT stays. :sad2:

Capacity for TOTWL is 499. Seating availabile inside has been 77. The entire area includes an indoor lounge and large outdoor viewing deck.

There's more than 80 people that are up there on a daily basis for fireworks viewing and lounge access I'd guess. It's much less exclusive than your statements.

My bad. I’ve edited my post.

My bad. I’ve edited my post.

I think part of it is that previously people would choose one night or the other. Or if they went on the 3rd and were blocked they then had the opportunity to try on the 4th. Or to have booked MK view rooms had there been proper notice. DVC removed 1/2 of the capacity for the special 4th of July fireworks if you consider both nights in total. It seemed to work and now it seems like it doesn't.

I think part of it is that previously people would choose one night or the other. Or if they went on the 3rd and were blocked they then had the opportunity to try on the 4th. Or to have booked MK view rooms had there been proper notice. DVC removed 1/2 of the capacity for the special 4th of July fireworks if you consider both nights in total. It seemed to work and now it seems like it doesn't.

You bet. I completely get the poor roll out and why people are mad with that. But with Disney being busy all the time and July 4th being such a special event the expectation of this spot being at capacity would be high for both nights. For us, we would be more upset of leaving the magic kingdom (or wherever) early only to find out totwl is already full or you are sardined way at the back. At least with a paid event you know your spot is secured and you get some food and drinks out of it.
Again, I’m not defending Disney in charging for everything. I do think there are some positives for the guests willing to pay. Attendance is so much different than it was 10-15 years ago; so with that, crowd management had to change with it. IMO, if it were kept free not everyone that wanted or planned to go would have gotten in.

You bet. I completely get the poor roll out and why people are mad with that. But with Disney being busy all the time and July 4th being such a special event the expectation of this spot being at capacity would be high for both nights. For us, we would be more upset of leaving the magic kingdom (or wherever) early only to find out totwl is already full or you are sardined way at the back. At least with a paid event you know your spot is secured and you get some food and drinks out of it.
Again, I’m not defending Disney in charging for everything. I do think there are some positives for the guests willing to pay. Attendance is so much different than it was 10-15 years ago; so with that, crowd management had to change with it. IMO, if it were kept free not everyone that wanted or planned to go would have gotten in.

The thing is there haven't been many, if any, complaints of those staying at BLT being turned away on any of those nights. It may have happened but I can't recall reading any reports of it. Mostly I recall that it's very busy of course and more crowded than usual but that's the extent of it. Maybe more staying at BLT had decided to view from TOTWL this year but it seems to have worked pretty well for viewing previously.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter