TOTW closed July 4th for paid event

So the parks blog post does say

"And here’s a little trip tip from our friends at Bay Lake Tower. While the Top of the World Lounge will be available exclusively to those attending the aforementioned event, the lounge will remain open to all eligible Members on July 3, which also happens to be a new date for the nearby Disney Vacation Club Fireworks Cruise. Click here to learn more about the cruise."

So it looks like on July 3rd (all members not just BLT guests maybe...) can access the lounge. But then on the 4th it is exclusive to the party.

http://disboards.com/forums/dvc-member-services.89/

3 weeks notice, super busy day at parks. Not right for them to do to guests, or suckers which is how I’m starting to feel.

So the parks blog post does say, which I'm fairly certain was edited at some point during the day

"And here’s a little trip tip from our friends at Bay Lake Tower. While the Top of the World Lounge will be available exclusively to those attending the aforementioned event, the lounge will remain open to all eligible Members on July 3, which also happens to be a new date for the nearby Disney Vacation Club Fireworks Cruise. Click here to learn more about the cruise."

So it looks like on July 3rd (all members not just BLT guests maybe...) can access the lounge. But then on the 4th it is exclusive to the party.

Wow- ballsy to do with 3 weeks notice!

I can't believe they instituted this upcharge event with only 3 weeks to go. Not to mention they are denying access for people staying at BLT on the 4th. It's unbelievable. >:( I'm really getting tired of all these upcharge events that are now being portrayed as "Membership Extras".

So the parks blog post does say, which I'm fairly certain was edited at some point during the day

Wow. Just wow. :sad2:

We have BLT reservations for the third to see the fireworks. It seems that is still possible.

That's true, maybe it's only a portion of the roof/ lounge. Based on a quick search of these forums people in the past have said that the venue didn't reach full capacity on July 4th/ NYE. I suppose as long as it's only a small corner like The Wave dinner package then it's not so bad.
I’ve gone up both dates, and they even bring a temporary bar out to the deck to sell drinks. It’s been very well attended IMO.
I bought BLT for the particular advantage to go up to the lounge during the restricted dates. It has been fun, but now I truly am disappointed with the way DVC seems to be headed.

Looks like the new boss is looking for a bigger bonus check, just too bad for the owners.
At least we know that we don't really count, it's all about the Benjamin's.
I agree and until people start voicing their displeasure with their wallet (ie stop buying) I assume we'll see the nickel and diming continue. It's funny because even a couple of years ago all over different boards and FB people justified the higher cost of Disney products (DCL, WDW, etc) by comparing with other companies who nickle and dimed their clientele to death....

According to ***** there will be a paid event at TOTW on July 4th from 7:30-9:30pm for the fireworks. Cost is $139pp including tax/gratuity. Yikes!

I thought if you were staying at BLT you had access on July 4/NYE? Maybe not anymore....

Everything says, $99 per person, plus tip and tax. Wouldn't that be no more than $125 ($99 + $6.00 tax + 20% before taxes - $19.80 = $124.80)? Of course in reality, the tip should only be based on the food cost not the event cost. Disney is tricky about that. It is still a very expensive ticket for only desserts.

Everything says, $99 per person, plus tip and tax. Wouldn't that be no more than $125 ($99 + $6.00 tax + 20% before taxes - $19.80 = $124.80)? Of course in reality, the tip should only be based on the food cost not the event cost. Disney is tricky about that. It is still a very expensive ticket for only desserts.

The article I referenced (apparently that site is blocked now?) says the base price was $110 so that's where the difference came from.

Last edited:
I agree and until people start voicing their displeasure with their wallet (ie stop buying) I assume we'll see the nickel and diming continue. It's funny because even a couple of years ago all over different boards and FB people justified the higher cost of Disney products (DCL, WDW, etc) by comparing with other companies who nickle and dimed their clientele to death....
I just sent an email and will continue to voice my displeasure. We are ones who did email and call about the 2020 point charts.

My guess is people aren't buying enough and it's running at a loss right now. So they are trying to turn a profit on it. I assume if a member rents it out for an exclusive event it is good and closed to all members then. Though not sure about this 4th event but could be close too (I wouldn't be surprised since the food is served up there for it).

I wonder how they will alert it is closed to members or not... I'd hate to just show up to find out it was closed.

I actually wouldn't make that assumption and would be doubting of that. They are using the space for other paid events, the lounge is not open for that many hours and does not have a large staff at all and drinks/apps are at the normal Disnyfied prices. Back when things were restricted only to BLT I supported them opening it up further. This action though makes me very unhappy and I find to be another indicator of the new and not so kindly DVC management looking for incremental income without regards to existing owners satisfaction. The crazy thing is that it would be such a tiny, tiny drop in their revenue bucket that I don't even understand it outweighing the potential negative. But then a couple of people have already posted their support of it hear so obviously it doesn't seem negative to everyone. I see it akin to frog in water and slowly making that pot boil.

I actually wouldn't make that assumption and would be doubting of that. They are using the space for other paid events, the lounge is not open for that many hours and does not have a large staff at all and drinks/apps are at the normal Disnyfied prices. Back when things were restricted only to BLT I supported them opening it up further. This action though makes me very unhappy and I find to be another indicator of the new and not so kindly DVC management looking for incremental income without regards to existing owners satisfaction. The crazy thing is that it would be such a tiny, tiny drop in their revenue bucket that I don't even understand it outweighing the potential negative. But then a couple of people have already posted their support of it hear so obviously it doesn't seem negative to everyone. I see it akin to frog in water and slowly making that pot boil.
I think those who voiced it being okay were under the assumption it would work similar to the Wave Dining package in that only part of the lounge would be roped off. Ideally the lounge needs to turn a profit (I'm assuming it is leased out to a different entity by DVC as the owner of the unit). The tenant needs to turn a profit and is likely not controlled by DVC thus can't be built in as a marketing budget. My guess is the lease states it needs to be exclusive use by members.

That post was when DVC was saying it would be like the Wave. My subsequent post down the line were no longer in support of the decision. But then again most members just go up to watch Fireworks and 90% of the year I bet the lounge is fairly empty. I really do believe it is hard for the lounge to turn a profit as it was ran prior to the up-charge events. My main problem here is the lack of clarity, the short term decisions to close, and closing the entire lounge.

I think those who voiced it being okay were under the assumption it would work similar to the Wave Dining package in that only part of the lounge would be roped off. Ideally the lounge needs to turn a profit (I'm assuming it is leased out to a different entity by DVC as the owner of the unit). The tenant needs to turn a profit and is likely not controlled by DVC thus can't be built in as a marketing budget. My guess is the lease states it needs to be exclusive use by members.

That post was when DVC was saying it would be like the Wave. My subsequent post down the line were no longer in support of the decision. But then again most members just go up to watch Fireworks and 90% of the year I bet the lounge is fairly empty. I really do believe it is hard for the lounge to turn a profit as it was ran prior to the up-charge events. My main problem here is the lack of clarity, the short term decisions to close, and closing the entire lounge.
The only problem is that Disney doesn't make the distinction.

Example 1: Dogs were allowed to be brought into hotels during a hurricane (I forget which one). People were appreciative. Disney received good press. Their interpretation: Everyone is A-OK with non-service dogs on property. Can we make money off this? Yes? Dogs now allowed on property.

Example 2: Let's make a Wave package to maximize profits. People bought. They think it's great. Let's privatize the lounge on the most popular night and maximize profits.

Example 3: People love the lower crowds during EMH. Let's monetize it. Now let's push the crowds up because people will still pay to get even marginally lower crowds.

They don't see shades of grey. It's all black and white (or rather green and whatever colour is the opposite of green :rotfl2:).

Example 1: Dogs were allowed to be brought into hotels during a hurricane (I forget which one). People were appreciative. Disney received good press. Their interpretation: Everyone is A-OK with non-service dogs on property. Can we make money off this? Yes? Dogs now allowed on property.
Personally I have no problem with this as it is secluded to specific hotels and specific wings thus you can avoid it if necessary. As for the extra fee it makes sense as the extra cleaning needed. It is an avoidable situation if you don't like dogs or being near dogs.
Example 2: Let's make a Wave package to maximize profits. People bought. They think it's great. Let's privatize the lounge on the most popular night and maximize profits.
I really have no problem with this either. They do need to make a profit and it didn't really hurt anyone in any way. But the 4th of July event went too far. If they are privatizing the lounge they should explicitly list those dates 6 or so months out. In reality they know the days each year (NYE, 4th and probably Christmas) so should just say the lounge isn't available those days which I wouldn't have any issue with. As for members renting it out for private events, I know it has happened already though perhaps outside the normal lounge hours (I believe their show about Disney Weddings featured an episode there, pretty sure I saw it in an ad or it was that an episode would). So not new but now advertising so prominently could become more popular.
Example 3: People love the lower crowds during EMH. Let's monetize it. Now let's push the crowds up because people will still pay to get even marginally lower crowds.
Economics does allow this which I have no problem with it. They are diminishing the value of staying on-site though so eventually a tipping point will happen in that off-site is better. But for me staying on-site is mostly about transportation and resorts as EMH have been packed since mid-00's and as long as FP stays free it has been easy to do all I want to do at the Parks. But my experience is much different than others I'm sure.

But overall I agree it is money driving their decisions and it should always be expected for any corporation as their is a mandate they have to make decisions based on that per their shareholders. But my problem is decisions are being made with no regard to the impact of people who had plans. Like this case shutting down the lounge on the busiest day with 3 weeks notice (but then again it makes sense because it is the day most likely for people to buy into). My guess is they went this route because no one was really buying the Wave Package in any meaningful manner thus the higher upcharge event.

But the 4th of July event went too far.
But that's YOUR line. Everyone else's line is somewhere else. And that's the problem; sooner or later they will cross one's personal line and all the while one is assuming it won't impact HIS/HER vacation. And then will come the outrage. I have little patience left for the "it didn't impact me and now it does, so I expect everyone to care" point of view.

Reactions: cm8
But that's YOUR line. Everyone else's line is somewhere else. And that's the problem; sooner or later they will cross one's personal line and all the while one is assuming it won't impact HIS/HER vacation. And then will come the outrage. I have little patience left for the "it didn't impact me and now it does, so I expect everyone to care" point of view.
Well my line is there because they didn't offer any opportunity for members to adjust. Really every member should expect they want to turn a profit. If the lounge doesn't turn a profit then it goes away forever; members utilizing the lounge but not buying anything there is why they need to do this that is likely the reality of the situation (I really can't see it turning a profit with its utilization as is). I never said their decision impacts me in any manner that was your interpretation of my post; in fact quite the opposite--I won't even be there on the 4th. I've already written a letter to express my concern over this issue, the $6 grocery charge (which also has no effect on me since I don't buy groceries), the 2020 point reallocation, or the resale restrictions on Riviera (which don't bother me but I didn't think were right). But I'm simply saying I can't fault a corporation for trying to turn a profit but I can get upset at them for doing so with changing the status quo with very little notice. And I can fault them for not being upfront when they know what days it would or could happen thus should just publish that list and if it changes the lounge is open to all in the end no one is going to be upset just surprised. Really its just not respecting their customers is where I draw the line.

I hope the "it didn't impact me and now it does, so I expect everyone to care" line isn't directed towards me as I've been quite vocal on issues that don't effect me as being wrong. Just like this issue, the $6 grocery charge (which also has no effect on me since I don't buy groceries), the 2020 point reallocation, or the resale restrictions on Riviera (which don't bother me but I didn't think were right). And I wasn't just vocal on the boards but have written letters on all these issues, have pending calls on some, and worked actively to meet with management on others. Overall everyone can have their own line and are entitled to that being their line. People's expectations on what they bought are very different so I have no problem with someone getting upset when something crosses their line.

Last edited:
Didn't we notice a change back around January about TOWL disappearing from DVC perks on their website somewhere? It bothers me that Disney was planning this, had plenty of time to notify members, and did not until three weeks out. It's a cruddy thing to do, but at least notify people at 11 months out about changes.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!