TOTW closed July 4th for paid event

Well my line is there because they didn't offer any opportunity for members to adjust. Really every member should expect they want to turn a profit. If the lounge doesn't turn a profit then it goes away forever; members utilizing the lounge but not buying anything there is why they need to do this that is likely the reality of the situation (I really can't see it turning a profit with its utilization as is). I never said their decision impacts me in any manner that was your interpretation of my post; in fact quite the opposite--I won't even be there on the 4th. I've already written a letter to express my concern over this issue, the $6 grocery charge (which also has no effect on me since I don't buy groceries), the 2020 point reallocation, or the resale restrictions on Riviera (which don't bother me but I didn't think were right). But I'm simply saying I can't fault a corporation for trying to turn a profit but I can get upset at them for doing so with changing the status quo with very little notice. And I can fault them for not being upfront when they know what days it would or could happen thus should just publish that list and if it changes the lounge is open to all in the end no one is going to be upset just surprised. Really its just not respecting their customers is where I draw the line.

HUGE assumption that you have your basis on - that they do not turn a profit. Remove that and then what would the thought be?

I still a doubtful as in I do not believe that they do not turn a profit there. The question always is how much of a profit? What should we expect for something that most definitely was marketed as a member benefit during sales although we know that this management does not stand behind previous DVC sales decisions and promises. ie - anyone buying now needs to recognize that virtually anything and everything they are told or even provided in writing will be "interpreted" always to the DVC advantage and they will sit back and wait for complaints or hits to the bottom line.

Didn't we notice a change back around January about TOWL disappearing from DVC perks on their website somewhere? It bothers me that Disney was planning this, had plenty of time to notify members, and did not until three weeks out. It's a cruddy thing to do, but at least notify people at 11 months out about changes.
No it was always listed. It was just that they didn't publish it continuing through 2019 until February I think. Perhaps that is what you are referring too.

Well my line is there because they didn't offer any opportunity for members to adjust. Really every member should expect they want to turn a profit. If the lounge doesn't turn a profit then it goes away forever; members utilizing the lounge but not buying anything there is why they need to do this that is likely the reality of the situation (I really can't see it turning a profit with its utilization as is). I never said their decision impacts me in any manner that was your interpretation of my post; in fact quite the opposite--I won't even be there on the 4th. I've already written a letter to express my concern over this issue, the $6 grocery charge (which also has no effect on me since I don't buy groceries), the 2020 point reallocation, or the resale restrictions on Riviera (which don't bother me but I didn't think were right). But I'm simply saying I can't fault a corporation for trying to turn a profit but I can get upset at them for doing so with changing the status quo with very little notice. And I can fault them for not being upfront when they know what days it would or could happen thus should just publish that list and if it changes the lounge is open to all in the end no one is going to be upset just surprised. Really its just not respecting their customers is where I draw the line.
I see your point, but "I personally have no problem with this" fails to understand that others have a problem with it. IE The dogs defecating all over the BC back lawn. Not YC (where they are allowed), BC. Whether right or wrong (and I wasn't necessarily responding to you specifically) when we collectively (myself included) continue to spend money with a corporation that has abandoned all pretense of customer service (especially when that was their MO previously), we are accepting each new encroachment on our personal lines. They continue to do things like this, because they can. It's sad, but honestly, I've come to accept it won't change until the economy tanks.

HUGE assumption that you have your basis on - that they do not turn a profit. Remove that and then what would the thought be?
Still the same. I'm upset with the short notice and the lack of respect but I can't expect them to subsidize my vacation at their cost. Overall I still maintain that I doubt that space turns any meaningful profit.
I still a doubtful as in I do not believe that they do not turn a profit there. The question always is how much of a profit? What should we expect for something that most definitely was marketed as a member benefit during sales although we know that this management does not stand behind previous DVC sales decisions and promises. ie - anyone buying now needs to recognize that virtually anything and everything they are told or even provided in writing will be "interpreted" always to the DVC advantage and they will sit back and wait for complaints or hits to the bottom line.
This part is why I'm upset. They promised the perk through 2019 and then implemented this change which functionally removes the benefit some nights. I'm just not inherently against up-charge events (for reasons listed above) just against those that go against what was previously promised.

Last edited:

I see your point, but "I personally have no problem with this" fails to understand that others have a problem with it. IE The dogs defecating all over the BC back lawn. Not YC, BC. Whether right or wrong (and I wasn't necessarily responding to you specifically) when we collectively (myself included) continue to spend money with a corporation that has abandonned all pretense of customer service (especially when that was their MO previously), we are accepting each new encroachment on our personal lines. They continue to do things like this, because they can. It's sad, but honestly, I've come to accept it won't change until the economy tanks.
Sure I'd recommend writing a letter if the dogs are defecating all over the BC back lawn; I personally haven't viewed this happening but if I did I would address it in the situation (most likely if it wasn't cleaned up) with the offender and management. I understand this concern it was just that you presented dogs being at a resort being the issue, but if your issue is dogs defecating and not being picked up then I can understand the impact to you. My understanding is there are rigid rules to where the dogs can be walked per your example thus I would expect those to be followed by the dog owners to remove any impacts to other guests (because those guests know where to go to avoid the dogs). If not followed or enforced that is an issue. But issues like these shouldn't be seen so black and white as you suggested previous things need to be looked as being grayscale there are changing demographics of consumers thus an individual might have been the previously targeted consumer base might no longer be the demographics that are the majority of those visiting WDW.

Sure I'd recommend writing a letter if the dogs are defecating all over the BC back lawn; I personally haven't viewed this happening but if I did I would address it in the situation (most likely if it wasn't cleaned up) with the offender and management. I understand this concern it was just that you presented dogs being at a resort being the issue, but if your issue is dogs defecating and not being picked up then I can understand the impact to you. My understanding is there are rigid rules to where the dogs can be walked per your example thus I would expect those to be followed by the dog owners to remove any impacts to other guests (because those guests know where to go to avoid the dogs). If not followed or enforced that is an issue. But issues like these shouldn't be seen so black and white as you suggested previous things need to be looked as being grayscale there are changing demographics of consumers thus an individual might have been the previously targeted consumer base might no longer be the demographics that are the majority of those visiting WDW.
WDW is notorious for not enforcing on the frontlines, decision made by the beancounters. They can do as they wish and we can write letters which will be ignored, but whether they made this decision now or 11 months ago (and let's face it, customers would have been inconvienced either way), as you said, is their perogative if one accepts the premise that there is no limit to what a private company can do to increase profit. So, I guess we agree.

Is it safe to assume similar exclusive paid events will be scheduled for Christmas and New Years? And BLT owners staying on their points will be out of luck at TOTW unless they want to pay.

Is it safe to assume similar exclusive paid events will be scheduled for Christmas and New Years? And BLT owners staying on their points will be out of luck at TOTW unless they want to pay.
Personally I would assume that. Unless this event doesn't turn a profit my guess is they continue the behavior.

As an aside for a similar price the one at California Grill is probably better food, considering at the very least they have a full kitchen. https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/dining/contemporary-resort/celebration-at-the-top/ Originally I had planned on being down for the 4th and actually budgeted this party. So I think it is a bit overpriced.

"but whether they made this decision now or 11 months ago (and let's face it, customers would have been inconvienced either way)"

As we are one of the ones inconvenienced, 11 months notice would have made a huge difference as we could have made other plans. Trying to make new plans for the 4th of July 3 weeks out, all viewing parties (except this one which I will not book for the principle of it) are sold out, unlikelihood of finding new dinning reservations closer to a new fireworks viewing location, can't cancel our reservations due to points going into holding, and so on.

Last edited:
This does impact my vacation somewhat, but I can’t imagine if someone is checking in on the 4th, how the heck does the viewing on the 3rd help them? And yeah we can go on the 3rd but it will twice as crowded now. 3 weeks notice is still the biggest issue to me and it’s reprehensible IMO.

"but whether they made this decision now or 11 months ago (and let's face it, customers would have been inconvienced either way)"

As we are one of the ones inconvenienced, 11 months notice would have made a huge difference as we could have made other plans. Trying to make new plans for the 4th of July 3 weeks out, all viewing parties (except this one which I will not book for the principle of it) are sold out, unlikelihood of finding new dinning reservations closer to a new fireworks viewing location, can't cancel our reservations due to points going into holding, and so on.
Yep, but my point was it wouldn’t have made it better at 11 months for some. & it wouldn’t have been easy to switch out to a different resort if say you wanted PVB for beach fireworks viewing.

Once you’ve accepted that profit trumps all, then anything is fair game (no matter the inconvenience to members) was my point. YMMV.

I was not interested in buying BLT, but these sorts of changes make me reconsider buying into DVC. I'm basically at the point that unless I get a screaming deal - I'll just rent points or use my florida resident/AP discounts.

I was not interested in buying BLT, but these sorts of changes make me reconsider buying into DVC. I'm basically at the point that unless I get a screaming deal - I'll just rent points or use my florida resident/AP discounts.

You have to think of DVC as pre-paid accommodation. No more than that. Anything else drives you down a path of insanity, angst and despair.

You have to think of DVC as pre-paid accommodation. No more than that. Anything else drives you down a path of insanity, angst and despair.

AMEN!

(But I will add that I think this announcement coming three weeks before the date, when people have had plans made months earlier, is inexcusable.)

AMEN!

(But I will add that I think this announcement coming three weeks before the date, when people have had plans made months earlier, is inexcusable.)
Oh, absolutely. I think it absolutely sucks on management's part.

But buying in for stuff like TOTW, at this stage, is really setting yourself up for emotional problems.

Everything says, $99 per person, plus tip and tax. Wouldn't that be no more than $125 ($99 + $6.00 tax + 20% before taxes - $19.80 = $124.80)? Of course in reality, the tip should only be based on the food cost not the event cost. Disney is tricky about that. It is still a very expensive ticket for only desserts.
I purchased this event yesterday, and it worked out to $123 per person.

Oh, absolutely. I think it absolutely sucks on management's part.

But buying in for stuff like TOTW, at this stage, is really setting yourself up for emotional problems.

Again, 3 weeks notice is the main issue for me. How can anyone make alternative plans with that timing?

The details on the member site about TOTWL is no longer there. It's all different text.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!