Tough to Be a Bug

stace1214

DIS Veteran
I haven't been on Tough to Be a Bug since way before kids. What is about that attraction that makes it scary for kids? I don't remember anything about it, but my kids will be 5 and 8 and I don't want to miss anything they'll love or do anything that will frighten them away from other rides. Thoughts?

I think it's because it's dark, loud and the whole bug thing. The fact that the special effects make you think there are bugs there. If you go on youtube you can watch a video of it. I know it ruins the magic but it's there if you want to preview it. I have an anxious, very shy 8 year old so if she doesn't know what to expect she won't go on things. So we watched it and other rides so she could become comfortable.

I haven't been on Tough to Be a Bug since way before kids. What is about that attraction that makes it scary for kids? I don't remember anything about it, but my kids will be 5 and 8 and I don't want to miss anything they'll love or do anything that will frighten them away from other rides. Thoughts?

Stink bug sprays stink at you
"Spiders" come down from the ceiling
"Stung" (poked) in the back by bees
Bugs exit the theater and you feel them on the bench you are sitting on.
Hopper can be intimidating.

My kids don't like it and they are 13 and 15. Their not scared they just have zero desire to do it any more. It might ruin them for other 3D shows. I took my 9 year old niece who had never been, but I knew when to tell her to sit forward for the "sting", plug nose for the stink bug, etc.

What??

giphy.gif

Yep, all of this. I have zero desire to experience a simulation of stink bugs, bee stings, spiders, and bugs crawling all over me. I don't find it entertaining in the slightest and I'm sure my kids would hate it. If you decide to try it out you better make sure it's not towards the beginning of the trip, or good luck getting them to do Muppets or Philharmagic if it does freak them out.

My kids hated it at ages 4 & 6. We had to exit left immediately...they'll be 6&8 next time we go and I don't know if we'll try it.

I think it depends on the child. We took our 9, 7, and 3 year old this past January. They all loved it. We went years ago when my now 13 year old was 5 and he was terrified. Lol!

DS just turned 7 and HATES that ride/show more than anything else in WDW. It was the bugs crawling under his bottom at the end that got to him. Left in absolute tears (this was earlier this year BTW).

I think IRL on normal sleep/sugar schedule he would have enjoyed it. But after a few days in the Disney zone at that age, he totally lost it!

Call me a bad parent, but I laughed so hard, and still do!

We did when my son was 5- he didn't really like it, but wasn't too scared.

We went again when he was 8. He was okay....until the pre-show announcement that the 'show might be too intense for younger viewers.' He asked what that meant. I let him know 'little kids' might find it too much, but he had done it before and was fine. We sat down, but I could tell he was ready to bolt and about the time the show had started we were out the door!
I guess it depends on the kid-my daughter did it twice and was fine. My son is what we call a 'scary' child! He probably won't ever go again!

My kids are now teenagers and they still hate that show. My dd13 will go in but my ds16 refuses to even go into the line.

It all depends on the kid. Our 13 and 10 year old DD's are already telling us they don't want to do it come August because it's scary, LOL. But, I will probably bring 2.5 yr old DS...you know, so he can be equally "traumatized". :rotfl2:

DS just turned 7 and HATES that ride/show more than anything else in WDW. It was the bugs crawling under his bottom at the end that got to him. Left in absolute tears (this was earlier this year BTW).

I think IRL on normal sleep/sugar schedule he would have enjoyed it. But after a few days in the Disney zone at that age, he totally lost it!

Call me a bad parent, but I laughed so hard, and still do!

Well add me in, because I laughed at my kids too. :rotfl:

That being said, I don't like the stinger in the neck thing...I always move my head away for that part. :duck:

FWIW, none of my boys were scared of this show (started going at 2 years old), but I usually always give them a little heads up if it's going to get dark or the fact they are going to make it feel like bugs are crawling underneath them. Any ride I'm unsure how they'll take it I emphasize that it's all pretend and for fun and entertainment. This seems to alleviate most of their worries.

I am 39 and I didn't like it. I also don't like the idea of creepy crawly stuff. Made my skin crawl. My poor DD11 wanted OUT! But i told her we couldn't because my mom has low vision and there was NO WAY she would be able to exit in the dark.

The line gives GREAT views of the tree of life, but no way will we do the show again. Too creepy. On the flipside, we loved Muppets and especially loved the Laugh Floor so all hope for shows is not lost.

Last edited:
Our four year old loved it but out seven year old hated it. I'm not sure it has anything to do with age as I've seen adults screaming like crazy. Dark and bugs are a no go for many.

Hi ... went 1st time with our 4 year old about 7 - 8 years ago. That was the "only" time we've ever been to that show. I can't recall my 4 year old's reaction at the time BUT I recall being startled by the above mentioned since I wasn't expecting any of it.

We (Ok ... confession ... scaredy cat mom :-) ) were startled enough that we've never felt any desire to go again in subsequent park visits.
Never crossed our minds to take our 2nd child even though he is an adrenaline junkie (eg. loves coaster type rides) but he startles easy (eg. doesn't like dark).

Hope this helps! :-)

Disclaimer: Uh ... I'm also a big enough chicken that when watching "scary" movies I won't look at the screen and will drive my husband nuts asking "what happened" so maybe I'm not the best judge of "how scary" it is for "It's Tough to be a Bug". Now that I think about ... I probably left that show more traumatized than my 4 year old!! I bet she doesn't remember it BUT I certainly do!! LOL!! :-)

My kids like it and were not at all scared, but are scared of other things like roller coasters. So like most things, all kids are different. Mine were 4, 6 and 8 last time we went.

Our four year old loved it but out seven year old hated it. I'm not sure it has anything to do with age as I've seen adults screaming like crazy. Dark and bugs are a no go for many.

:-) One of the screaming adults! Lol

We've made a vow to never do it again. Lol

I remember being scared to death as a kid----20 years later I still avoid it. No need to expose my kids to it---maybe we will try it when they are much older.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter