Touring in your 20's vs your 40's

Melanie the tink fan

Earning My Ears
When I first went to Disney I was in my mid 20's with my husband and our girls who were 2 and 7. I was not in great shape but I don't remember being overly exhausted and we hit the parks hard rope drop to fireworks. I can't believe it has been this long but I'm about to go in my early 40's as a widow with our youngest child(17) and my sister. Of course I'm sure experiences vary greatly but what different things have you noticed touring at different ages.

Well the first time I ever went I was in my 40's and I was fine. My kids were 5,7 &9...jump 10 years later to 50's now there is a real difference!

I was exhausted and my feet were throbbing after a day at the parks; and I got that Disney Rash around my ankles, how yucky! No way I could go back to back days. I felt like I had been hit by a truck. I couldn't get over it. And I walk at least 5 times a week so it's not like I'm "that" out of shape, but it dang near wore me out.

I think it’s important to take breaks as you get older. Longer ones like 1.5-2 or more hours to put your feet up. And compression hose if it’s cool enough to wear pants to cover those ugly things up. I wore them for the first time this past Black Friday since I had gotten the Disney rash the last two years, and they really helped.

20's ate 3 meals a day, parks open to close, nonstop rides. Out till probably 1 or 2am slept about 5 hours or so and back at for a week.
40's Breakfast in the room, parks around 11 or 12. Maybe a snack or 2. Watch the shows, ride a couple rides, eat a late table service dinner. In bed by 11.

I did the parks as a single mom in my early thirties and now we go and I am 43. Back then I could rope drop until fireworks. I also don’t remember my feet hurting. Today at 43 my feet hurt so bad. I do all the tricks like change shoes midday etc but they still hurt. I also found last year that going rope drop until 8 pm wore me out. I still love the parks and we are fast walkers. But I have noticed a difference. I also find that I get motion sick more easily than I did in my 20’s and 30’s. Oh and I do not like driving at night from a park to a hotel. I also eat healthier than I ever did before so I’ll treat myself but also try to find healthy options and thankfully Disney has provided many of these. A rest day in the middle of a week long vacation is a nice break if you can do that. I take epsom salt gel to rub on my feet at night because it just feels great. This summer we are doing two days at universal and three evenings at Disney. We won’t have a rest day but plan on relaxing the first half of the day before going to a Disney park. Mostly because my teens don’t want to miss the park at night and in the summer that means late. I’m a healthy weight for my height and do moderate exercise about 4/5 times a week if that helps for a frame of reference. I’ll want to go to Disney when I’m 70 if I can afford it but I know with each decade the way I tour the parks will change to some degree. I hope you have a magical trip back!

20's ate 3 meals a day, parks open to close, nonstop rides. Out till probably 1 or 2am slept about 5 hours or so and back at for a week.
40's Breakfast in the room, parks around 11 or 12. Maybe a snack or 2. Watch the shows, ride a couple rides, eat a late table service dinner. In bed by 11.
Oh yes the shows. A great tip in our 40’s is to use the shows during the heat and when feet need a break.

There are definitely attractions that were no problem in my 20s that are a big N O P E now that I've hit my 40s. Not really motion sickness as much as feeling like I've been in a car accident. I have gone on the Matterhorn at Disneyland probably over a hundred times in my life, but the last time I went on it I felt like I was hit by a Mack truck. Big Thunder is a little rough for me now too. My husband has dropped Space Mountain from his repertoire; I'm still okay with that for now. I am sure I will need to drop more attractions off the list as I age, but I still like to just be there.

There are definitely attractions that were no problem in my 20s that are a big N O P E now that I've hit my 40s. Not really motion sickness as much as feeling like I've been in a car accident. I have gone on the Matterhorn at Disneyland probably over a hundred times in my life, but the last time I went on it I felt like I was hit by a Mack truck. Big Thunder is a little rough for me now too. My husband has dropped Space Mountain from his repertoire; I'm still okay with that for now. I am sure I will need to drop more attractions off the list as I age, but I still like to just be there.
Here’s my crazy SM tip. I hold one hand on top of my head and press down. I know I look silly but it works for some reason. Guess it stabilizes my neck or something.

I was fine in my 50's, but use a scooter now in my 70's. I have given up ToT, RnRC, Space Mountain and EE.

You might post this on the theme park planning board, as you're not really doing solo. You would get more input there.

I've only toured in my mid 20's-30's (well, did as a kid to) and haven't noticed a difference. Other than maybe sleeping a little better from being a little more tired which is a good thing.

My parents from early 50's to early 60's have noticed a big difference. We were on the go all the time in January with my nephew, and sometimes I forget that they are almost 30 years older than I am. I think I pushed a little too much for them, and I really have to start thinking more about that. But at the same time they are adults and can choose what to/not to do. My dad stayed back in the room a bit, but my mom went pretty strong, other than a couple early nights back.

We're struggling, but find soaking in a hot tub after touring really makes a world of difference. That, and Tylenol.

I am here now & just spent 5 days with my Dh & 3 year old DGS. We did 2 Early Morning Magic s back to back. We are 68 & 69 & my DH was exhausted. He used to be the one that started at 6 am & went until midnight. No more! I, surprisingly, did much better. In real life, I’m a couch potato ten times over, but it must be the Disney magic that energizes me. Yes, my feet hurt. And my lower back. But I also pushed a stroller & held a tiny prince on my hip.
We did rest in the afternoon & went to bed earlyish. And a glass of evening wine worked wonders!

I think the "prep" is just slightly different for me. I would be able to go from not walking so much for exercise right into tackling WDW all day and be fine... now, I like to build up my walking before I go. Maybe also eating light in the parks, as well as not riding some of the rides that were my fav's in my 20's. I actually get up earlier now and enjoy that, so I do rope drop easier.

The tips above about putting your feet up are a really good idea for anyone that gets the Disney rash and/or has swelling around your ankles. Lay on your back and put your ankles at an angle higher than your heart (also the compression socks mentioned due seem to help those affected as well).

So much depends on individual differences, too. On our last trip, I was 43 and DH was 45. He's a healthy weight but has a desk job and is more of a couch potato than he's willing to admit. I'm overweight but am a teacher and used to being on my feet all day. He's always needed more sleep than I have. Touring hit him a lot harder than it did me.

Neither of us had the option of going rope drop to close because of our kids, but we rope dropped, rested with a long table service lunch, went back to the hotel for a couple of hours most afternoons, and took turns returning for the evening with the kids who could handle it. We planned in one short day (park from 1 pm to 7 pm) and on a longer trip we'd do 1 full rest day. I also ate similarly to how I do at home (lots of salads, no fried foods, etc.) with a few really good splurges. DH eats healthy at home but ate whatever he wanted at Disney, which is part of what he thinks did him in.

My one other piece of advice is to make sure your shoes and bag are extremely comfortable. As I've gotten older, I'm finding my body is much less forgiving of those 2 sins even though I can still stay out late and skimp on sleep.

I was 40 for my first WDW visit ever, and Pooh size, to boot. However, I was energetic and used to walking and could easily outlast my athletic DH and DDs. Luckily, we were there for two weeks and alternated park days and break days. Our break days usually included TL for a few hours. I think those breaks made all the difference as I was never sore.

I was also the only one who would ride anything and want more!

Skip ahead 12 trips to 60, and with more “fluff” around the middle, my Fitbit recorded that I was averaging 10 miles per park day. I was feeling it! I appreciated every show and every opportunity to sit. There were no more days that ran from rope drop through fireworks, unless there was a midday break.

Good footwear, hydration, and food have always been a must. Everyone in our family minds the heat and humidity, so managing our exposure is important for all ages. Thank heavens for the free ice water, too. We go through gallons. The other key is to a breaks BEFORE any of us are too hot, thirsty or tired.

Personally, I still want to ride the biggest thrill rides in any park I visit, but I appreciate those lovely little comfy track rides in air-conditioning even more theses days.

I think it is a really individual thing, but having been in my 20s 30s and 40s, with tots in strollers, adults only, grandparents and teenagers the biggest factor to how I cope is the weather! During my last trip in January I could have stayed all day, but in the heat of July and August I'm done by 1pm. I always tour by the mantra that when anyone starts to seem tired we call it a day, and I can honestly say we have had 17 very happy trips

I’m in my mid forties and active - not gym working out active, but I work on my feet and tend to walk about 16000+ steps daily.

I have no issues tackling the parks which for us is about 20000 to 28000 steps daily. But we do not tour commando style or go RD to close. We vacation. This means midday breaks and even a nap or two.

I agree with pp, it really is an individual thing.

One thing ive noticed, when i was younger i didnt see or notice alot of things wdw has to offer. I only seen the big major stuff, main rides and some big shows. Now, i take notice of so many small things and fine detail that wdw has to offer. I still like the main rides and the best shows but i have really came to appreciate and really enjoy all the small aspects and fine detail that goes into making wdw so great. There is so much more to the fireworks and music than just pretty cool fireworks, there is actual meaning behind them. Same with the shows, there more to it than just a piece of entertainment, it has meaning. When i was younger, i saw past alot of it. Its a different kind of excitement now. I think ur going to be pleasantly surprised at the things u notice and enjoy now to what they use to be when u were younger. Please update on ur experience, im currious to see how ur views changed. Find yourself wanting to see or do something specific cause u remember it being so great but once u do it, its not as good as u remember and u end up with a new favorite ride or show.

Last edited:
My wife and I went in our 20's with both our sons. That was way back when EPCOT was still under construction in the World. We then went back with grnadkids in our 50's and now we go every year, just the two of us and we are in our 60's. (me-66, my wife-65) We have found it easier and more enjoyable now than any trips prior. We do it as a couple, not a family. Do we miss the kids excitement when they first saw Michey or a Princess?, Sure, but we not have your childrens excited cries of joy to experiance. As a couple in our 60's we have slowed down. That doesn't mean we crawl throught he parks and sit at every chance. Just got back from our annual trip two weeks a go and we did three parks in one day. The best part of slowing down is the ability to see more and enjoy more of what you see. Also, we can travel when we want which means when the kids are inschool and the parks are a bit more quiet.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!