Touring Plans has MK a 10 on Oct. 15, Oct 17, Oct 20:Update post 48

We apparently had several 10s on our trip in November. It really wasn't a problem. I didn't actually realize they were 10s until we got back. When I told my husband his reaction was: "wait a sec, so you mean it doesn't get busier than that?!"

If it’s not going to be as bad as the holidays, perhaps TP should recalibrate its scale.

I will continue to avoid party season...

There is seriously less than 5 days in the year that they would need something higher than 10, except for new lands opening. So, it doesn't really make sense from a statistician point of view to do that. Those days are really like 11s. So, it does get busier than normal 10s, but not often. Those would be days like Christmas, NYE, etc.

The parties at the Magic Kingdom have really made non party days soo crowded with some horrible lines. If there are a few of those non party days that are getting a classification of a 10, I'm not all that surprised. I went to one last year that was projected as a seven that ended up being a nine (We still had fun, but boy are lighter crowds nicer.).

I'm biting the bullet and doing the busy spring break season instead of party season this year. They are probably not all that different.

If you want to go and have time and tickets to burn, it's your choice. I've been on 10 days and really and truly the first two hours after rope drop are OK and then it's downhill from there. I personally don't think you are missing anything not having ever experienced a 10 -- Those days are significantly worse than 9s and no prize IMHO. But maybe I'm just getting old lol.

Now my dad when to the MK for the millennium and rather than complaining about the crowds said it was one of the coolest experiences of his life lol. He didn't get back to his offsite condo until 5 a.m. So if you really enjoy immense crowds and some people really don't mind them, what the heck.

Last edited:
We did a non-party park evening in MK. It was actually our last Park day of our last trip. We knew it would be crazy and planned accordingly. We kept our FPs for the evening and only hopped in for the evening--AK with a 9 CL that morning seemed positively empty compared to MK (we had no FPs for AK, like I said it was a 9 and I literally do not even recall it being busy). Our plan was to do our three FPs--SDMT, BTMR, SM--do dinner (with a table service reservation) go on one of the last rounds of the riverboat for the evening, ride the railroad around the park and do HEA with the dessert party. It went off absolutely without a hitch. After the fireworks we did our last FP and sort of wandered around--I think we did a ride on IaSW and the teacups a couple times but mainly just sort of soaked it in. It was bonkers but we had a really lovely evening--of course we did that by planning our whole day around not interacting with the crowds in virtually any way at MK...

A true 10 bites. I don’t have a clue why someone would want to do that to themselves. Lol. If you go and it’s a true 10 and you are going to leave and want to come back in, be prepared. You may not get back in. They do have a limit on the number of people allowed in at once.

Gartner Symposium is going on then. My husband was invited, we went last year and it was crowded then too. It's a cheaper way to visit Disney since your work tends to pick up the tab for the resort and you get a discount on the park tickets. We are skipping this year.

We did a non-party park evening in MK. It was actually our last Park day of our last trip. We knew it would be crazy and planned accordingly. We kept our FPs for the evening and only hopped in for the evening--AK with a 9 CL that morning seemed positively empty compared to MK (we had no FPs for AK, like I said it was a 9 and I literally do not even recall it being busy). Our plan was to do our three FPs--SDMT, BTMR, SM--do dinner (with a table service reservation) go on one of the last rounds of the riverboat for the evening, ride the railroad around the park and do HEA with the dessert party. It went off absolutely without a hitch. After the fireworks we did our last FP and sort of wandered around--I think we did a ride on IaSW and the teacups a couple times but mainly just sort of soaked it in. It was bonkers but we had a really lovely evening--of course we did that by planning our whole day around not interacting with the crowds in virtually any way at MK...

Glad to hear that this plan worked out for you because ours is very similar for our 10-crowd day! We plan to make FPs for 3 rides, all in the same area (probably Tomorrowland), then get dinner with a reservation, and then leave. What did you do to pass time in between FPs? We are thinking People Mover and maybe a snack. But I bet snack lines will be insane too.

I was looking forward to our October trip, now not so much. I am so surprised that so many people pull their kids out of school for the parties...I thought maybe we’d be among the only few crazy ones doing that lol! I gathered the weekends would be mobbed, did not think during the week would be so bad.

Glad to hear that this plan worked out for you because ours is very similar for our 10-crowd day! We plan to make FPs for 3 rides, all in the same area (probably Tomorrowland), then get dinner with a reservation, and then leave. What did you do to pass time in between FPs? We are thinking People Mover and maybe a snack. But I bet snack lines will be insane too.

We didn't arrive at MK until 5 or so. And then it was basically FP, railroad, dinner, FP, riverboat, dessert party, fireworks, FP, wander. Basically, while we did add a couple of the rides that really never have lines if you time them right (railroad and riverboat) dinner and the fireworks filled the time between FPs.

I was looking forward to our October trip, now not so much. I am so surprised that so many people pull their kids out of school for the parties...I thought maybe we’d be among the only few crazy ones doing that lol! I gathered the weekends would be mobbed, did not think during the week would be so bad.
You should still definitely be excited. We were there last year the week before Thanksgiving--party season and a holiday--and had an amazing time! Our crowds, it turned out, ranged from 6 to 10 with several of our days either 9s or 10s but between a good touring plan, midday breaks and judicious use of FP it seriously was never a problem. The only time where the crowds really felt crazy was the non-party evening at MK, but we knew that would be the case, loaded for bear, and had actually one of the most magical evenings of the trip. If you're willing to make a plan and stick with it (basically) the crowds really don't have to be an issue. It was my first time so I wanted to do everything and we did--we did an EMH every day, opened a park and closed a park every day (thus the midday breaks), saw five different nighttime spectacles and the only show or ride we missed was Splash Mountain (it was closed for refurb half of our trip and then when it came back up it was actually closed the time we had planned to ride it--there were two other times we could have ridden it but they were both late enough and just cool enough that, being big old wussies we really didn't feel like getting wet). The entire week we only waited more than fifteen minutes four times (and two of those were FOP FPs--also Anna and Elsa in Epcot which I suppose two grown men could have skipped, but Anna said the most wonderfully scandalous vaguely off-color thing that we still giggle about today, I can't actually recall what the other "long" wait was). At any rate we never waited longer than a half hour for anything.

As far as what to "worry" about, the only real thing I would say was non-party evenings at MK, and the flipside of that, if you have hoppers, is party days at MK. We went on a Friday morning EMH at 7, with no FPs (we had FOP, ROL and the Safari at sunset for that night) and it was just astonishing. When we left for our afternoon nap it was like the park was still empty! Since it closed at 6 I'm pretty sure it must have stayed that way until 4 when the party guests arrived. AK was a little like that at well. We had two EMHs one of which was CL10 and seriously FOP absorbs so many people that for the first two or three hours it was like the rest of the park was empty.

It was my first time so I really did want to do everything and wasn't really comfortable leaving the plans to what happened to be available with day-of FP but if you've been before and are willing to go a little more with the flow you might be able to do even more than we did. We really didn't capitalize on same day FPs. A couple days we only did the three and usually we only did four or five--but a lot of people do a lot more than that!

Seriously, don't go into it wondering how bad it's going to be. We had some crowds while we were there but it was still such an amazing first time that we've already scheduled two more trips to WDW and one to Disneyland. There's so much information on this board about how to navigate the crowds and still have an amazing time. You got this!

It's going to be as crowded as summer, if not more. It seems as if the last couple of years crowds have shifted and fall is the new busy time. But having said that, if you go into it with realistic expectations and a plan, you should be golden.That's much better than expecting low crowds, which October used to have, and being blindsided!

I was looking forward to our October trip, now not so much.
Please don't let this thread take the excitement out of visiting Disney World. We are talking about MK. Visit on party days. Oct 14 is a 5, Oct 16 a 4.Watch MK fireworks from Poly resort where you can get a Dole Whip!
Rest of the parks are showing 5,6,7.These may change. Other suggestion is not going to Epcot on Friday night nor Saturday.

Last edited:
I’ve done NYE week twice and October felt way worse to me.

We haven’t been there over NYE, but we were there last December from the 16th-26th. We used to go every fall, but it started to feel much busier.
I think it’s because Disney plans for the holiday crowds by running everything at full capacity and adding extra entertainment. The crowds and lines in the fall feel more manipulated because attractions are running with less capacity (IE only loading one side at POTC.)

So am I correct by guessing from the tone in this topic that if you all were planning vacations during party season you would choose to do the MK on a party day? I’m currently planning a trip for the end of November/beginning of December and was planning on doing the MK on one of the two non-party days as I have yet to see the new nighttime shows. Now I’m wondering if I should change my plans. We weren’t planning on having park hoppers on this trip (we usually do on longer trips, but I wasn’t sure I get much use from them on a 5 night vacation), but I’m open to changing my mind on that if it’s likely to make my trip significantly easier to split up my MK day and evening plans across two different days.

So am I correct by guessing from the tone in this topic that if you all were planning vacations during party season you would choose to do the MK on a party day? I’m currently planning a trip for the end of November/beginning of December and was planning on doing the MK on one of the two non-party days as I have yet to see the new nighttime shows. Now I’m wondering if I should change my plans. We weren’t planning on having park hoppers on this trip (we usually do on longer trips, but I wasn’t sure I get much use from them on a 5 night vacation), but I’m open to changing my mind on that if it’s likely to make my trip significantly easier to split up my MK day and evening plans across two different days.
Yes - on both counts. Many people want to see the nighttime shows and have longer hours inside the park, and so the attendance during a non-party day can be pretty intense. It would probably be a good strategy to go to MK on party days and then hop over one non-party night to see a show.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter