Tours To Paris From Disneyland Hotels & Other Questions

tarheelmjfan

Proud Redhead
This is actually a 3 part question, so please be patient with me. :blush:

1) DH & I are seriously considering staying at DLP for our entire visit to Paris. We'll only have 4 nights. :( I'm trying to figure out a way to fit in another night, but we're working with our friends from England's work schedule. Anyway, would it be a mistake to spend all our time at DLP, not spending any nights in the city. FYI, we've never been to Europe. We're considering this for 2 reasons. We're thinking it may be easier to communicate with employees at DLP resorts than in hotels in Paris. Also at DLP, we'll know what type of hotel we're getting.

2) Is the indoor pool at Sequoia Lodge heated? I was thinking we may stay 2 nights at SL, giving our DS (14 by then) time to enjoy the pool in the evening. We would then move to the DLH for 2 nights, for easier park access & VIP fast pass. Do they move your luggage for you at DLP, like they do at WDW?

3) We are interested in seeing the highlights in Paris. Also, DS wants to visit Jim Morrison's grave site. Will we be able to book a tour like this from our DLP resort? If not, do you have recommendations on how we could see these things from DLP?

I am planning this trip far in advance, but I can't seem to help myself. :blush: We have 3 trips scheduled between now & then, but I keep coming back to this one, when I start planning the others. :guilty: I just can't get excited about those, now that I know DLP is in our future. I think I need psychiatric help, or maybe just a Disney fix. :rotfl:

Just my opinion, but if this were my first trip to Paris, I'd want to spend at least a couple of days in the city. Since you were planning on resort hopping anyway, maybe you could move to the city instead? I've been to Paris a couple of times and never had problems with language (of course, I've always stayed at the larger chains).

Regarding tours, there are two that you can book from your DLP hotel. One is a full day tour of Paris and the other is an evening tour. I haven't done either but from the reports I've read, it appears you'd be saving time and money by catching the train into the city and doing the hop-on-hop-off bus tour on your own.

While i love DLP I would have to agree you'll only get a flavour of Paris by staying in the city. A walk along the Seine, or around Montmatre in the evening is fantastic.
I think the idea of splitting the tour is a good one between DLP and Paris.

Never done the organised tour to Pere-Lachaise Cemetery, but have done as the Parisians and went there with a picnic.

Reid

A lot of Americans have been on here before who are going to Paris and have asked if they should go to DLP for a day, and I would say "YES" - you've come so far so you've got to come to DLP since it's so close!

To you, asking the opposite question, I'd again have to say "yes" - in my opinion if you're coming all the way to Paris, then I'd definitely suggest spending time in Paris itself. I'm definitely with you on spending more time at DLP but Paris in my opinion is an AMAZING city and I think it would be a shame not to get at least a taste of it. As you've realised, 4 nights isn't enough to do both Paris and DLP completely but I'd suggest spending a couple of days at DLP, a day in Paris and then decide how you wish to spend your remaining time. Just my opinion of course!

You could easiy do a day trip from Paris so that you could still stay in DLP hotels while you're there. If you just want to say you've "done" the famous landmarks, a bus tour would allow you to see most things from the bus and get off at the more famous areas to look around. However I agree with Reid, Paris is best enjoyed walking and just taking in the atmosphere. I'd suggest getting a train to Paris and either using a hop on, hop off bus or the metro to get from place to place, and then you can do as you please!

Let us know what you decide!

1) DH & I are seriously considering staying at DLP for our entire visit to Paris. We'll only have 4 nights. :( I'm trying to figure out a way to fit in another night, but we're working with our friends from England's work schedule. Anyway, would it be a mistake to spend all our time at DLP, not spending any nights in the city. FYI, we've never been to Europe. We're considering this for 2 reasons. We're thinking it may be easier to communicate with employees at DLP resorts than in hotels in Paris. Also at DLP, we'll know what type of hotel we're getting.
Honestly, I love DLP, but if it's your first trip to Europe, I'd spend the majority of the time in Paris, and spend a day in DLP. You will have no trouble getting by in Paris hotels, unless you stay at a really cheap youth hostel. Hotel employees in Paris generally all speak English, even more than at DLP actually (I had difficulties on multiple occassions at the Disneyland Hotel). Plus, the quality of Paris hotels is great, and for the price you pay for a room at DLP, you can actually get a nicer hotel in Paris. Disney hotels worldwide are nice, but they're not a great value for the most part. For the price of a room at the Newport Bay or Sequoia Lodge, you can stay in a gorgeous 4-star hotel in a really nice neighborhood in Paris. For the price of a Castle Club room at the DLH, you can stay in a suite in a hotel that's been rated to be the best in Paris (MUCH more luxurious than the DLH).

3) We are interested in seeing the highlights in Paris. Also, DS wants to visit Jim Morrison's grave site. Will we be able to book a tour like this from our DLP resort? If not, do you have recommendations on how we could see these things from DLP?
Jim Morrison's grave is at the Cemetiere Pere Lachaisse (I know I spelled that wrong, but it's close). I'd go on my own with a map of the cemetary (it's a pretty big place, don't try to find the grave by wandering around) rather than a tour. If you choose to stay in DLP for all of your trip, I'd take the RER into Paris and then the Metro to get to the cemetary. The RER (suburban railroad, basically) connects to the Metro (subway within the city). The cemetary will not fill the whole day, so you can see other attractions that day. :flower:

Thanks for your honest input. :) Looks like we may have to rethink that plan & spend 2 nights in Paris & 2 at DLP. We're not much for going out & wondering around on our own. If we don't take organized tours, we don't see much. :(

If you are looking for a good reasonably priced hotel in the Latin quarter, you can't go far wrong with the Best Western Belloy St Germain...really good value (especially if you can get a good deal from www.ratestogo.com). We had a lovely complimentary Parisian breakfast, and the room was really quaint, and Parisian loft-like. Walking distance to the Metro, the Jardin de Luxembourg, the Notre Dame, the Louvre and the Seine. The Batobus ( on the river Seine) is great for sight seeing, stops at all the main attractions and you can get a day pass for something like 11 euros. The jardin de Luxembourg is great for a picnic...buy a baguette, & french cheese and watch the world go by. The latin quarter and montmatre are great for an evening stroll, really atmospheric, and you can buy delicious crepes from street stalls. You really need to stay in Paris to experience what Paris is all about!!! (especially after coming so far!)

Thanks for the info. & hotel suggestions. I must admit, I'm having a hard time understand the arrondissments, quarters, etc. I don't really know, if a hotel is in a good location or not. :confused3 I need a book titled "Paris Hotel Districts for Dummies", or something like that. :rotfl2: So far, I've read that arrondissements 1 thru 7 are good central locations. Is the Latin Quarter anywhere near that? Sorry, if this is a really dumb question? :blush: Thanks again for your help. :)

tarheelmjfan said:
So far, I've read that arrondissements 1 thru 7 are good central locations. Is the Latin Quarter anywhere near that?

The Latin Quarter is the 5th arrondissement. I think it's a great area. If you don't stay there, you should definitely visit. :flower:

I'm like you. I need "for dummies" help finding hotels for all non-Disney destinations. I've found tripadvisor very reliable in terms of hotel descriptions and reviews.

tarheelmjfan said:
I'm trying to figure out a way to fit in another night, but we're working with our friends from England's work schedule.

Is there any way you can sneak in a couple days in Paris without your friends? Paris is a lovely city and contrary to some reports the people were very nice. Except one cab driver who tried to stiff us and my DH called him on it in fractured HS French. That was 3-4 visits ago and everyone else has been the same as any big city, or nicer.

Yes, you can take the train into the city. I think the last one returns at about midnight, so you would be able to do a day trip. BUT ... Paris is so nice that you will wish that you were closer to the action. Even with a 14 year old child ;). Many people speak English. It's nice if you try some French (try your local Jr. College for adult courses) and the people appreciate that you are making the effort.

We did DLP a couple of years ago and stayed the Sequioa Lodge. The pool was heated and indoors. The rooms were about the size of an All Stars room, but nice by European standards. We spent 3 days there and that was enough for us ... we spent 11 days at WDW on our last trip :).

beachbunny said:
I'm like you. I need "for dummies" help finding hotels for all non-Disney destinations. I've found tripadvisor very reliable in terms of hotel descriptions and reviews.

I use tripadvisor religiously, when planning a trip. My problem with Paris is, now that I've finally figured out where the best location is supposed to be, none of the hotels specify which arrondissement they're in. :confused3 I need a site that seperate hotels by arrondissements.

robinb said:
Is there any way you can sneak in a couple days in Paris without your friends? Paris is a lovely city and contrary to some reports the people were very nice. Except one cab driver who tried to stiff us and my DH called him on it in fractured HS French. That was 3-4 visits ago and everyone else has been the same as any big city, or nicer.

Yes, you can take the train into the city. I think the last one returns at about midnight, so you would be able to do a day trip. BUT ... Paris is so nice that you will wish that you were closer to the action. Even with a 14 year old child ;). Many people speak English. It's nice if you try some French (try your local Jr. College for adult courses) and the people appreciate that you are making the effort.

We did DLP a couple of years ago and stayed the Sequioa Lodge. The pool was heated and indoors. The rooms were about the size of an All Stars room, but nice by European standards. We spent 3 days there and that was enough for us ... we spent 11 days at WDW on our last trip :).

The Paris portion of our trip is about the only time we'll be alone. They will be working those days. We're spending 11 nights in England. 2 of those nights we're going to Liverpool alone. The others will be spent with them. We're also spending 3 nights in Rome with them. We want to visit with them as much as possible, since we obviously don't see them often. We'll probably take the advice here, & split the stay with 2 nights in Paris & 2 at DLP.

I had 2 yrs. of HS French, but it's been so many years ago & don't remember much of it. I can order cheese, though. :p Combined with my southern accent, what I do know, doesn't come out quite right. :blush: I definitely plan to do a refresher, before we go. I was thinking getting a tape, but a local Jr. College sounds like a good idea. I want my son to learn some also. He's been taught some Spanish in school. They don't teach French anymore.

I agree with you that I could easily spend 2 weeks or more at WDW. It takes longer than that to fit all the great restaurants in. :teeth: We still end up going home with more on the to do list. <sigh>

I just got back from 8 nights in Paris, plus 1 at DLP (Hotel Cheyenne). I stayed at the Best Western Jardin de Cluny, in the Latin Quarter (5th Arr.), and it was great. We had a "family room" on the sixth floor with three beds, plenty of space. :)

Taking the RER between Paris and DLP is a quick trip, and the trains run very frequently (every few minutes when we were there, at least). Quite frankly I regret having stayed onsite for the DLP part of the trip -- the time and energy to pack up, check into a new hotel, etc, wasn't worth the convenience of being on-site. The Good Morning Fantasyland breakfast was great for getting us onsite before the park opened, but the crowds were very low that day anyway so it didn't really matter. Maybe it would have been worth it had we been able to afford the Disneyland Hotel -- it would have been incredible to be that close to the park! But my Paris hotel was near Notre Dame, and the Seine, and the metro that takes me anywhere I wanna go. I love Paris so much! :love:

(BTW, I'm gonna post a trip report later -- I had a great time at DLP! pirate: )

Kitty-chan said:
(BTW, I'm gonna post a trip report later -- I had a great time at DLP! pirate: )

Glad you enjoyed Paris so much that you are going to share it :) You'll have noticed that "tripies" are almost a condition of membership ;) Got to feed the hungry sharks :goodvibes

Reid

Welcome home Kitty-chan :)

Sounds like you had a great trip! Can't wait to hear all about it!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter