Tower of Terror 10 Miler 2014

:hug: I am so sorry. You just described my first TOT - nearly identical situation. And I so get that feeling of not feeling like you put much effort in and being sort of a letdown. After a while, I felt better about it, though - 10 miles is 10 miles, no matter the speed, right?! And rehabbing the ITBS was a major coup. I wish you a speedy recovery and hope your next race is 1000 times better!

Thank you! It was good to at least know I have the PHM coming up, so I just started looking at TOT as a practice run instead of the main race - as I had thought it was before signing up for PHM. I can thank my teenage cousin for pushing that one! Hopefully I will see you there :thumbsup2

Thanks! I think the weather helped out significantly. I'm quite proud of my time considering I've only been a runner since about 4 years ago. Now to bring on the Avengers 1/2 in a month!

It was very nice to (briefly) see other board member AThrillingChase at the airport. I'm sure you'll have a great race in February with the Princess 1/2.

It was nice seeing you too, Mike. Good luck with the Avengers 1/2! I've only been running since...May. haha. But maybe in another 3.5 years I can be there too!

my DD saved my life when she was born so I figured how can I reject a loving request from her.

I def love the idea of crossing the finish line at Boston, there are a lot of highly prestigious marathons. Going to get some 1/2s under my belt but my Marathon list is Boston, Nashville and WDW. I guess your home town marathon always holds a special place in your heart!

My oldest daughter saved mine too, maybe for different reasons than you but I know how you feel.

Oh, there are a lot of good marathons out there. I only know what Boston is like having grown up here. But, the lady I sat next to on the bus to the ToT race is from Chicago. She has run the Chicago marathon (also one of the 6 world major marathons) and Boston 3 times. She said Boston is easily the best out of all the races she has run. She has obviously run WDW as well, on top of many others. I asker her why Boston. She said the energy, the organization of the race, and the people who line all 26.2 miles of the streets.

I hope to run some of the major races over the years to see for myself.

I can't wait to run the WDW marathon too though. I had so much fun at ToT. I can't wait to see what that would be like.

I am going to be joining a gym in the next week or so, so I can begin running on the treadmill to start working on my speed. I don't ever want to run another 5:00 marathon.

Finally got my race recap done in the Trip Report.

I finished but not as well as I would have hoped.

My oldest daughter saved mine too, maybe for different reasons than you but I know how you feel. Oh, there are a lot of good marathons out there. I only know what Boston is like having grown up here. But, the lady I sat next to on the bus to the ToT race is from Chicago. She has run the Chicago marathon (also one of the 6 world major marathons) and Boston 3 times. She said Boston is easily the best out of all the races she has run. She has obviously run WDW as well, on top of many others. I asker her why Boston. She said the energy, the organization of the race, and the people who line all 26.2 miles of the streets. I hope to run some of the major races over the years to see for myself. I can't wait to run the WDW marathon too though. I had so much fun at ToT. I can't wait to see what that would be like. I am going to be joining a gym in the next week or so, so I can begin running on the treadmill to start working on my speed. I don't ever want to run another 5:00 marathon.

The Boston Strong Issue of Runners World was so powerful, reading about the emotions and the people was amazing, I started looking into what you have to do to run it. I set my ideal yearly goals, Nashville in 2016, Boston 2017 and WDW 2018. Hopefully I can make that happen but I'm going to continue and train and try my best.

Finally got my race recap done in the Trip Report. I finished but not as well as I would have hoped.
. I just read your recap, great job on finishing. I had a similar experience being unhappy with my time but happy to finish. I think we might have been on the same bus to MNSSHP as you. We were at the Swan and waited forever and got to the MK a little before 5. We missed our first FP as well but it was a ride with short lines later so it was ok.

The Boston Strong Issue of Runners World was so powerful, reading about the emotions and the people was amazing, I started looking into what you have to do to run it. I set my ideal yearly goals, Nashville in 2016, Boston 2017 and WDW 2018. Hopefully I can make that happen but I'm going to continue and train and try my best.

We have similar plans. I wanted to possibly run the 2016 Boston Marathon for charity (as I won't be able to qualify by then) and run it again in 2017 but to actually qualify for that one, if possible. Then 2018 I hope to be Disney bound to at least run Goofy and hopefully Dopey if finances and vacation time allow for it.

I didn't see the Runner's World magazine. I should see if I can find it.

I REALLY want to qualify for Boston at least once. While I was walking my marathon :) I decided I would work as had as I could to give it my best shot. That means I need to take off over 90 seconds from my normal pace to do that. It will take a lot of work to do.

We have similar plans. I wanted to possibly run the 2016 Boston Marathon for charity (as I won't be able to qualify by then) and run it again in 2017 but to actually qualify for that one, if possible. Then 2018 I hope to be Disney bound to at least run Goofy and hopefully Dopey if finances and vacation time allow for it. I didn't see the Runner's World magazine. I should see if I can find it. I REALLY want to qualify for Boston at least once. While I was walking my marathon :) I decided I would work as had as I could to give it my best shot. That means I need to take off over 90 seconds from my normal pace to do that. It will take a lot of work to do.

I've got to give you props! I looked at qualify times and wow!! With hard work and training def possible, by 2017 I'll be in a new age bracket so an extra 5 min is def helpful. Nashville has a lot of hills so another key would be finding a nice flat marathon for qualifying race. Good luck! And we will all be rooting for ya!

I've got to give you props! I looked at qualify times and wow!! With hard work and training def possible, by 2017 I'll be in a new age bracket so an extra 5 min is def helpful. Nashville has a lot of hills so another key would be finding a nice flat marathon for qualifying race. Good luck! And we will all be rooting for ya!

Try the Myrtle Beach marathon. Totally flat, and held in late February, so cool enough for a great PR. I know a few people who have run MB to qualify for Boston.

Try the Myrtle Beach marathon. Totally flat, and held in late February, so cool enough for a great PR. I know a few people who have run MB to qualify for Boston.

Thank you for the suggestion, I was looking up top BM qualifiers, I might attempt next years Indianapolis Marathon, since it's closer then MB but I gotta admit MB sounds like a better trip lol

There is no question, it will be TOUGH. I basically need to take 2 hours off the marathon time I just ran to do it. So, it may not be possible for 2017 because I would have to qualify in next year's race to use it for 2017. Part of the reason I ran that marathon, and ran it when I did, was because it is supposedly the 4th fastest marathon in the country because it is so flat. I figured even if I wasn't completely ready to run it this year that it would be good to run it and get an idea for the course before I tried to go qualify on it. I am glad I did it the way I did even though it didn't go as well as I hoped.

As far as the goal itself. I know it will be hard. I may never be able to qualify for Boston. Let's face it, its not easy to qualify for Boston. For many it is easier to run for charity and raise the money. But I figured I owe it to myself to try it. I neglected myself for decades. Now it is time to put in some work and see what I am truly capable of. As I continue to lose weight and learn more about running and nutrition I know I can get faster, just how much faster is the question. I have to get my in race nutrition figured out as well. If I didn't end up walking so much on Sunday I would have run out of food.

I also need a goal to keep my moving forward and pushing hard. If I can qualify for Boston not only do I accomplish that goal but that time will get me into one of the first 3 (probably) corrals for the Disney marathon the following year.

The funniest part is, if you go back and read some of my initial posts on this thread, before I began running, I doubted myself. I didn't think I could even run the ToT. Now I have set a goal to qualify and run Boston. I said in my marathon recap that running has changed my life and the proof is right there. I now feel I am capable of just about anything as long as I am willing to put in the work. Just 8 months ago I did not think that. What an awesome feeling and all because I went out and put one foot in front of the other. And I may not be capable of anything even with the hard work. But I am willing to try now compared to before when I would just give up before I even tried.

I know Boston doesn't accept results from all marathons though. Whatever race someone runs I would just be sure that race is one they accept the results from.

There is no question, it will be TOUGH. I basically need to take 2 hours off the marathon time I just ran to do it. So, it may not be possible for 2017 because I would have to qualify in next year's race to use it for 2017. Part of the reason I ran that marathon, and ran it when I did, was because it is supposedly the 4th fastest marathon in the country because it is so flat. I figured even if I wasn't completely ready to run it this year that it would be good to run it and get an idea for the course before I tried to go qualify on it. I am glad I did it the way I did even though it didn't go as well as I hoped. As far as the goal itself. I know it will be hard. I may never be able to qualify for Boston. Let's face it, its not easy to qualify for Boston. For many it is easier to run for charity and raise the money. But I figured I owe it to myself to try it. I neglected myself for decades. Now it is time to put in some work and see what I am truly capable of. As I continue to lose weight and learn more about running and nutrition I know I can get faster, just how much faster is the question. I have to get my in race nutrition figured out as well. If I didn't end up walking so much on Sunday I would have run out of food. I also need a goal to keep my moving forward and pushing hard. If I can qualify for Boston not only do I accomplish that goal but that time will get me into one of the first 3 (probably) corrals for the Disney marathon the following year. The funniest part is, if you go back and read some of my initial posts on this thread, before I began running, I doubted myself. I didn't think I could even run the ToT. Now I have set a goal to qualify and run Boston. I said in my marathon recap that running has changed my life and the proof is right there. I now feel I am capable of just about anything as long as I am willing to put in the work. Just 8 months ago I did not think that. What an awesome feeling and all because I went out and put one foot in front of the other. And I may not be capable of anything even with the hard work. But I am willing to try now compared to before when I would just give up before I even tried. I know Boston doesn't accept results from all marathons though. Whatever race someone runs I would just be sure that race is one they accept the results from.

That is an amazing point of view! And I hope you didn't take my post as discouragement because it wasn't ment that way.

I have always been one who did the opposite of what everyone said. Recently when telling my parents about planning to raise money for charity for CMM, I was told I should just pay my race fees because I won't be able to raise the funds. So I signed up anyways and I will raise the funds!

Looking at the times, it's looks hard but I like a good challenge, may not happen but i agree with you, atleast you will train, work hard, and try and that's what seriously matters. I'm proud of you and look forward to hearing about your continued success!

Moose, I didn't think that at all. You have been very supportive with your responses. I know it will be a tough challenge so if anyone tells me that they are just being honest.

If I can't do it, I am OK with it as long as I try my best. I know I have a lot to learn which just means more opportunity for improvement. I know I am writing a lot so I apologize for boring people. But, last year I was a couch potato. I now know it is a much better option, and way to live, to work my butt off on a goal and fail than it is to sit on the couch and never try. Especially if running Disney races is going to be a part of that process. :cool1:

On top of it. I am setting a good example for my kids. My 2 oldest are proud of me. Even my 3 yr old, when she sees me in my running clothes, says, "Daddy, you going running again?" Sounds much better in a squeaky 3 yr old little girl voice though. :)

Oh, and you WILL raise the money. It's too bad your parents would say that but oh well. I got paid today but now that I have some time before the deadline I will be putting some aside here and there and will make a donation. I will also offer you some help in addition. I will send it in a PM.

Moose, I didn't think that at all. You have been very supportive with your responses. I know it will be a tough challenge so if anyone tells me that they are just being honest. If I can't do it, I am OK with it as long as I try my best. I know I have a lot to learn which just means more opportunity for improvement. I know I am writing a lot so I apologize for boring people. But, last year I was a couch potato. I now know it is a much better option, and way to live, to work my butt off on a goal and fail than it is to sit on the couch and never try. Especially if running Disney races is going to be a part of that process. :cool1: On top of it. I am setting a good example for my kids. My 2 oldest are proud of me. Even my 3 yr old, when she sees me in my running clothes, says, "Daddy, you going running again?" Sounds much better in a squeaky 3 yr old little girl voice though. :) Oh, and you WILL raise the money. It's too bad your parents would say that but oh well. I got paid today but now that I have some time before the deadline I will be putting some aside here and there and will make a donation. I will also offer you some help in addition. I will send it in a PM.

Thank you for the PM and Support it's very appreciated!

How was everyone's race??

I had a great time!! Couldn't have asked for better weather...we started in corral D and had no problems with congestion, it got crowded but not unmanageable in the narrow parts of the course. We finished in around 2 hours and 5 minutes...stopped for every character/photo stop except for the witch, the queen of hearts, and Lotso towards the end. My pictures didn't come out great but I loved the spooky effects on the horse, and Hades talking to people from the DHS sign. The party felt kind of crowded and we were tired at that point, so we rode a few rides, met a few characters, and headed out.

Overall, what an awesome weekend!

I can't believe we must have been right around each other the ENTIRE time. I started in corral d with my dh.. and we finished 2:05:xx. I stopped for almost every photo op.

Woohoo! My sister and I are in the video and the photo album on the rundisney facebook page! We are dressed in the stepsister costumes a little after 2:30 in the video...I feel famous! :cool1::rotfl2:

I saw that and thought "omg! I recognize them!!" I loved your costumes :)

Just got back and unpacked from a very fun runDisney T0T weekend. I did the 5k trail run in the a.m., and the 10 miler at night. I finished in 1:53 , eight minutes more than my goal, but still well under the 2 hour mark I allowed myself. Just looking over results I was 165 out of 380 in my age group and 1300 out of 3200 men. It was a pleasure taking this journey with all of you and wish you many more magical miles. My journey continues as I prep for the Avengers, hope to see some of you over on that board . I am from the area so if you need tips or recommendations pm me. AVENGERS ASSEMBLE!!!

I too am prepping for that. Not long now!!

I'm really disappointed to read that there will not be a ToT race next year. I have done this race every year it was offered as the 10 miler. I was really hoping to do it for five years straight as it is the only race at Disney in which I would qualify for legacy status. At least I have the satisfaction of going out with my best time ever in the race.

This was me too. I have done it 3 years in a row and was hoping to make it to 5. I guess this could be good because like others I saw on her mentioning the Wine and Dine... it looks like I will get a chance to run that instead next year. Then we can just cross our fingers that it is reinstated in 2016 for the 4th year of the 10 miler. :goodvibes

Finally got my race recap done in the Trip Report.

I finished but not as well as I would have hoped.

I will get over there...eventually. I promise!!! :goodvibes

I can't believe we must have been right around each other the ENTIRE time. I started in corral d with my dh.. and we finished 2:05:xx. I stopped for almost every photo op. I saw that and thought "omg! I recognize them!!" I loved your costumes :)

Thanks! Did you see us on course? I wish I had known we were gonna be in the same corral, we could have met up to say hello! That's what we get for being too lazy to write our PTR, haha. Maybe we will see you marathon weekend instead

Thanks! Did you see us on course? I wish I had known we were gonna be in the same corral, we could have met up to say hello! That's what we get for being too lazy to write our PTR, haha. Maybe we will see you marathon weekend instead

I did not see you on course. If I had I would have given a shout out! We had to be close though if we started in the same corral and finished around the same time. I guess in theory we could have started a minute or so apart and then even though we have the same finish time we could have finished at different times.

I didn't know ahead of time we would be in D. I had B but Dh had E. Then when we got to the expo he received his bib with a D sticker on it.

Would love to see you in January!

Anybody run by a group of girls? One dressed as loki, the rest dressed as cruella de ville, syndrome, the bowler hat guy and darth vader? We were in E corral and finished around 2:20?

Anybody run by a group of girls? One dressed as loki, the rest dressed as cruella de ville, syndrome, the bowler hat guy and darth vader? We were in E corral and finished around 2:20?

I'm sure I did, I was in corral E and finished at 2:19 I wore a Jack Sparrow baseball style tech shirt. I was hurting that last 2 miles so honestly I could of ran past/ or got past by Bigfoot and I prob wouldn't of noticed lol

I'm sure I did, I was in corral E and finished at 2:19 I wore a Jack Sparrow baseball style tech shirt. I was hurting that last 2 miles so honestly I could of ran past/ or got past by Bigfoot and I prob wouldn't of noticed lol

Haha that was my friend as well. We had to start pointing things out to her as she was just done around the same time as you. We must've been running together for a bit and didn't know it!

Haha that was my friend as well. We had to start pointing things out to her as she was just done around the same time as you. We must've been running together for a bit and didn't know it!

I'm pretty sure I caught all the on course entertainment except seeing the video I didn't notice the spider on the bridge (no clue how I missed that, I guess eye on the prize lol) it's funny how out of almost 10k finishers you can start talking to someone who was in the same corral and finished around when you did.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter