Toy Story 4 Discussion **SPOILERS**

FrankieWinthrop

Mouseketeer
We just left the theater. I am disappointed. The movie was ok but I felt the ending was not true to character for Woody or the other original (TS 1 and 2) toys. Jessie has separation issues, there’s no way she, and Bullseye, and the originals would just be like “peace out, Sheriff!” And Woody gives up his voice box and there’s no question or further discussion?

My husband said “this must be what the hard-core Star Wars fans felt like after episode 8!”

I’m just gonna sit here and pretend it all ended with the sad/happy tears of Andy handing the gang over to Bonnie. It makes it even sadder that Woody’s not meeting with Jessie anymore at DHS!

The movie was alright to me. It had some flaws like when Woody said "never leave a toy behind" but about 10-15 minutes later, he leaves the group forever! It also seems weird that Bonnie was very oblivious of Woody's existence the whole movie. She was so intrigued with Woody in the 3rd movie that it seemed she would have the same feelings for him in the 4th. Gabby Gabby was cute and I liked her a lot. The voice box situation was very confusing as nobody noticed that it was gone besides Gabby Gabby, as she is the one who has it.

Overall, this movie didn't bother me as much, but it could have been better.

Woody also said something (via pull string) that he’s never said before - when he gets the shop keepers attention lying on the floor. I don’t remember what it was, but it definitely wasn’t one of the normal Woody lines.

Woody also said something (via pull string) that he’s never said before - when he gets the shop keepers attention lying on the floor. I don’t remember what it was, but it definitely wasn’t one of the normal Woody lines.
  • "Reach for the sky!"
  • "There's a snake in my boot!"
  • "You're my favorite deputy!"
  • "Someone's poisoned the water hole!"
  • "I'd like to join your posse, boys, but first I'm gonna sing a little song."
  • "Yee-haw! Giddy-up partner! We've got to get this wagon train a-movin'!"
  • "This town ain't big enough for the two of us."
Was it one of these? haha

I actually did think, "This is going to be Pixar's 'Last Jedi.'"

I can pick with some things (wish they hadn't made Buzz quite so doofy, and had done something with Woody ending up with the broken (?)/no (?) voice box), but overall I really enjoyed it. I loved the new characters, loved Gabby's story arc, and despite originally thinking I'd be furious if they did this, ended up ok with the ending.

I don't think I'll be seeing this movie. I'm not sure why they made a 4th when TS3 ended so well

Very disappointed as well....especially the ending.

We were with a group of 6 kids of different ages. I know 4 of them were not pleased, I didn't hear the other 2 kids discussing it. The kids dubbed Bonnie the real villain in the movie--- I said "Bonnie is just a 5 year old", but they were not having it. They thought how different she acted from the way she acted in Toy Story 3, showed she was the true villain. They said that Andy would be devastated that he gave Woody to a kid like her, and that he should have kept him for his own kids. Bonnie is now the hated Toy Story character, which kind of ruins TS3 as well. They were also upset about the voice box and Woody's back. Maybe Disney did it because of all the kids out there who have Woodys that no longer work, but it was not appreciated by the kids we were with, or the adults. They did all like Forky, Bunny and Ducky. But my DD wanted to now why on earth are they selling a Toy Story 4 Barbie in the stores-- she was in the movie for about one second.

Last edited:
Well, that's life. A little girl isn't expected to cherish the same toy a boy cherished who was 14+ years her age. That story was realistic to me. Should Andy be disappointed? Sure. But you give something with that much responsibility to a 4 year old girl, don't be surprised if it doesn't go the way you envisioned. She's a 4 year old girl.

Kids who saw Toy Story 3 when they were small should be old enough now to understand that concept of life.

Overall the movie to me was great, but sad. Whereas I left TS3 sad, but happy, I just left TS4 sad. Even though it had a happy ending for all the toys. But that's me being selfish. I understand the "change" and "letting go" life lesson the movie was trying to instill.

I only wish the ending was a bit longer. The toys accepting Woody leaving seemed rushed. The fact they didn't even realize Bo Peep was around till the final 3 minutes and just happily let Woody leave them to be with her without fully knowing the events that had just transpired is my only nitpick.

Well, that's life. A little girl isn't expected to cherish the same toy a boy cherished who was 14+ years her age. That story was realistic to me. Should Andy be disappointed? Sure. But you give something with that much responsibility to a 4 year old girl, don't be surprised if it doesn't go the way you envisioned. She's a 4 year old girl.
Exactly- that's what I told them--- the response: "This isn't real life, it's a Disney movie. We don't want it to be realistic. Toys don't come alive in real life either. They shouldn't have spent years making us love him if the end was that he was just going to be repeatedly ignored and then we had to watch her step over him or leave him on the ground while she picked up the fork over and over the entire movie." So I guess if you look at it from their angle, maybe the real life lesson is- no matter how much you love someone, you can't make them love you back if they don't give a #%#% about you so just go on your way and find something else that makes you happy.

I actually was okay with that part and really with the movie itself --- but not so much with the voice box part. That is the part that got me. We heard younger kids crying in the theatre during that part.

Exactly- that's what I told them--- the response: "This isn't real life, it's a Disney movie. We don't want it to be realistic. Toys don't come alive in real life either. They shouldn't have spent years making us love him if the end was that he was just going to be repeatedly ignored and then we had to watch her step over him or leave him on the ground while she picked up the fork over and over the entire movie." So I guess if you look at it from their angle, maybe the real life lesson is- no matter how much you love someone, you can't make them love you back if they don't give a #%#% about you so just go on your way and find something else that makes you happy.

I actually was okay with that part and really with the movie itself --- but not so much with the voice box part. That is the part that got me. We heard younger kids crying in the theatre during that part.
No doubt. I fully understand and wouldn't tell a kid how they should feel about heartbreak. I bet when your kids get older though, they will accept what Bonnie 'did' more. But for now they are upset at her, and have every right to be.

Heck, I'm 30 years old and I'm disappointed in her. But I also get the storyline and concept behind her actions haha.

I’m with the kids on this one. This is supposed to be a kids' movie. Disney needs to come up with some new content instead of trying to pay on the childhood sentimentalities of us, the parents. When they come out with good, original content, we parents grab onto it because our kids love it (i.e. Frozen and Moana) and we learn to love it, too. Yes, we grew up with these characters and we're ready for Bonnie dissing Woody and leaving his FAMILY for a chick, but my 3 year old is not. He wants Buzz and Woody and "Booseye" together forever.

Just saw it with the family this past weekend. Hate to say it, but T$4 was a bust. Disney made it for the money, and they'll make plenty of it. I'd be surprised if this was the last one, especially with the new TSL.

I agree with all the criticism but I enjoyed it better than TS3. Maybe because I hated Andy going to college. I have to rewatch them all back to back. I just wish the gang wasn’t so irrelevant in this film. This movie should’ve been an extra 30 minutes. It felt so rushed. I didn’t like how they kept forcing their message. The original toy story they let the actions speak for what they wanted the audience to get.

I did like the new toys better in 4 then 3. Gabby Gabby was awesome even though her henchmen has given me nightmares.

I doubt this is the last one. I expect adult Andy to return trying to get the gang back in 5.

Just got back from finally seeing it. TS3 is one of my favorite movies ever and endeared the franchise to my heart. I enjoyed the first two as well, but it was TS3 that really made it all come together for me. So, I went into this unsure if I'd love it or not.

I...liked it. It wasn't as good as 3 IMO. Not by a long shot. It was pretty depressing, actually, and I missed the antics of the whole gang of toys we've grown to love over the years. I needed more Ham, Slink, Rex, and Potato Heads. Buzz was even pretty, "meh" in this one.

The fact that Bonnie basically ignores Woody through the entire thing, I mean doesn't even acknowledge his existence at all, was a little tough to take. Made me think less of Bonnie, but did highlight how loyal and good Woody is, even if he's not the "favorite toy" anymore he still feels it's his duty to be there for her, even if that means making sure her new favorite toy is by her side. Woody is such a noble character.

I also wasn't all that knocked out by Bo-Peep, and thought she was a little obnoxious. Meh.

But I did love Forky! He made the movie, IMO. I'm glad he learned how important he is and that he's more than just trash. He was so quirky and cute.

And the story line with Gabby Gabby was pretty good, actually. That Woody gave up his own voice box so that Gabby could find her own kid and know the kind of love that Woody had been fortunate enough to know for so long...that was great. I thought she was a creeper villain at first, but I'm glad that turned around. There really was no villain in this one, which is why maybe it felt a little strange.

I guess I'm glad that Woody is finally able to live his own life. He loves Bo and now they'll be able to travel around helping kids and toys find each other.

But my heart still breaks that the gang is split up. Especially Woody and Buzz.

If they do a fifth one...grown up Andy better find Woody. *That* will be the perfect conclusion to the Toy Story saga, IMO.

And...I can't believe I just typed that much on a cartoon about toys. LOL.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!