Toy Story Land soft opening

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reading some of the reviews of Toy Story land -- I guess I didn't realize that NO indoor locations meant NO "as you exit the ride" gift shops? Wow. Still scratching my head. As popular as Toy Story merchandise has been for decades -- just odd that they wouldn't have an actual A/Ced store location as you exit Slinky Dog Dash -

Isn't that a staple of the bigger theme park rides? You go on the ride and then get funneled out the gift shop - ala Pirates of the Caribbean, Space Mountain, Star Tours, Test Track, etc.

Did they really need to cut costs that much that they couldn't afford an indoor gift shop in a BRAND new land that is about TOYS?

Or is this just a general change in philosophy? Get guests to go to the giant stores that have everything, but allows them to have flexibility to just have sections devoted to new rides that they can change out over time as popularity waxes and wanes.

New Fantasyland didn't have any new gift shops attached to rides now that I think about it. There is the small gift shop next to the tavern, and the giant gift shop in Storybook Circus is standalone and not attached to a ride. I don't recall Little Mermaid or Seven Dwarves Mine Train or Enchanted Tales having their own shop.

I too am surprised that neither new ride has an attached gift store - also they had to rework the exit from Toy Story Mania, so could have put one there

I think part of it is that the entrance way to the land in the original design was to have a Woody's Roundup feel and perhaps there would have been shops included there?

They do have a lot of merchandise booths, but definitely not the same - especially, like you said, with the theme of "toys" you'd think they would want a lot of place to sell, you know, toys!

Reading some of the reviews of Toy Story land -- I guess I didn't realize that NO indoor locations meant NO "as you exit the ride" gift shops? Wow. Still scratching my head. As popular as Toy Story merchandise has been for decades -- just odd that they wouldn't have an actual A/Ced store location as you exit Slinky Dog Dash -

Isn't that a staple of the bigger theme park rides? You go on the ride and then get funneled out the gift shop - ala Pirates of the Caribbean, Space Mountain, Star Tours, Test Track, etc.

Did they really need to cut costs that much that they couldn't afford an indoor gift shop in a BRAND new land that is about TOYS?

Or is this just a general change in philosophy? Get guests to go to the giant stores that have everything, but allows them to have flexibility to just have sections devoted to new rides that they can change out over time as popularity waxes and wanes.

New Fantasyland didn't have any new gift shops attached to rides now that I think about it. There is the small gift shop next to the tavern, and the giant gift shop in Storybook Circus is standalone and not attached to a ride. I don't recall Little Mermaid or Seven Dwarves Mine Train or Enchanted Tales having their own shop.
FoP does exit into a gift shop, though.

FoP does exit into a gift shop, though.
I think there’s a narrow gap in between windtraders and the rest of the land you can go through. I think I saw it unblocked before. It’s not like et adventure in universal which has the rollable bushes in front of the pathway, forcing you into the gift shop

I’ve seen a lot of hate on twitter and YouTube comments but I gotta say, I’m really impressed with the theming of TSL and can’t wait to visit

I'm not impressed at all. Especially when it comes to fencing/guard rails, some of them are themed, and then it's like Disney gave up and just painted fences lime green. Knowing Disney Imagineering, they'll try to spin it as "Andy ran out of pieces for his fanciful fence, and had to use regular fence pieces".

Next to no shade anywhere, no inside shopping, it's Dinoland with a little more theming and effort.

I’ve seen a lot of hate on twitter and YouTube comments but I gotta say, I’m really impressed with the theming of TSL and can’t wait to visit
You mean the people who complain about everything? On twitter every single Pixar pier announcement got scrutinized to the point that it made me realize: I doubt they’re fans and instead they’re people who are upset that the parks are constantly changing. I’ll be blunt: I thought Pixar pier was not a good idea. That was all I said until last week when the incredicoaster opened and I admitted that I just wasn’t a fan of it. From what I saw, every food stand that got announced got reamed a new one solely because it was Pixar. If you’re going to be that bitter against a food stand, yeah you’re not someone I should have a conversation with as clearly you’re not rationally thinking and just assuming it’s the worst thing you ever saw because it’s called “angry dogs” and is themed to inside out

I’ve been seeing those people in full force on twitter, and YouTube in my eyes has the usual “cool but not my type” and a lot of people who were genuinely surprised by the amount of theming. So I’ll take their criticism with a huge grain of salt. Not that my opinion is the what you should judge things by. I’m very satisfied with this land and I can’t wait to see it in person.

You mean the people who complain about everything? On twitter every single Pixar pier announcement got scrutinized to the point that it made me realize: I doubt they’re fans and instead they’re people who are upset that the parks are constantly changing. I’ll be blunt: I thought Pixar pier was not a good idea. That was all I said until last week when the incredicoaster opened and I admitted that I just wasn’t a fan of it. From what I saw, every food stand that got announced got reamed a new one solely because it was Pixar. If you’re going to be that bitter against a food stand, yeah you’re not someone I should have a conversation with as clearly you’re not rationally thinking and just assuming it’s the worst thing you ever saw because it’s called “angry dogs” and is themed to inside out

I’ve been seeing those people in full force on twitter, and YouTube in my eyes has the usual “cool but not my type” and a lot of people who were genuinely surprised by the amount of theming. So I’ll take their criticism with a huge grain of salt. Not that my opinion is the what you should judge things by. I’m very satisfied with this land and I can’t wait to see it in person.

It's one thing to not like something, it's another thing entirely to not let others like something. A lot of people these days have the mindset that people should only like what they like, and get unpleasant when they come across someone that disagrees. It's best to ignore that if you can manage it.

It's one thing to not like something, it's another thing entirely to not let others like something. A lot of people these days have the mindset that people should only like what they like, and get unpleasant when they come across someone that disagrees. It's best to ignore that if you can manage it.
Amen. Where’s the love button on this site when you need it

I think the land looks adorable based on pictures I’ve seen. Perfectly themed for what it’s intended to be - an area for families.

Also, I assume it does because capacity would be really low if it didn’t, but does the alien ride have 2 separate sections like Mater’s Junkyard Jamboree does at California Adventure?

I mean I get where your coming from, but like you said your opinion is no better than theirs. If people don’t like it or think Disney’s being cheap they are allowed to be vocal; with the prices increasing fans demand quality. You can do what you want but I’ll always want to talk with people who have different opinions.

Toy Story Land is not bad but I’m not the audience for it, my kid will be and I’m ok with that. I think any addition to Hollywood studios is amazing.

People started queueing up at 4am this morning. Any bets as the what time DHS reaches capacity restrictions?

Have DHS FP+ today, including SDD, and we are considering skipping it.

MDE has wait times for Slinky Dog Dash at 4.5 hours.

Hollywood Studios isn't technically open for another five minutes...

MDE has wait times for Slinky Dog Dash at 4.5 hours.

Hollywood Studios isn't technically open for another five minutes...

yeah, they opened at 6am today

the line is currently 5 hours (per the sign the CMs are holding at the end of the line ... which is at the Chinese theater):
slinky-dog-wait-gif.333771

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter