TR - Solo in November - update 11/5 - LAST day

casagray

Kinda New to this!
Hi -

I'll be in Disneyland at the beginning of November, two partial days and three full days, and have been preparing for it for a while now, so I though I'd put together a pre-trip report.

Cast of Characters:
Me. I am not a Disney nut, but I really enjoy going to Disneyland/Disney California Adventure, especially alone. Early 50's, kinda round (working on being less round), and have problems with Plantar Fascitis, which I probably spelled wrong. I have two kids, and am thinking next two trips won't be solo, but trips with first one then the other child - and then possibly me and my husband (he's just not as into it). I'm the main wage earner in an at times highly stressful job, and as wonderful as my husband is, I'm still the one who does all the doctor's appointments, deals with the schools, the teachers, etc. With two kids who have IBS and anxiety - and one with POTS - I need some time as a break from it all (and no, going to a conference is not the same).

This will be kinda my third solo trip. The reason I say kinda is that in the spring of 2014 I was at a conference in Anaheim, which included on-site stays at Disney Parks ... so I took advantage and went in a day early and went to the parks. I bought a two day park-hopper that I then extended to a three day, and then a four day, then a five day ... even though days 3-5 were from ~5-until closing (e.g., after the conference). It coincided with my 50th birthday (okay, birth year), and so I treated myself.

I loved doing it so much that when the next summer my husband really wanted to go on a road trip to see a few baseball games and the baseball hall of fame, I suggested maybe we could do separate 3-4 day vacations. He went off on a great trip, and I went back to DL/DCA, in November. I did what I could to keep costs down, and keep to a comparable price. Of course, being a baseball fan, he did spend a bit at the baseball hall of fame ... While I did love my time alone, I was fortunate enough to gain some new friends who I spent some of my time with, and were okay when I was ready to wander off away on my own.

This year, we didn't do separate vacations. I still wanted to go, and was lucky enough to have a few things happen that made it somewhat affordable.
  • First, I booked my room early - in March for a November stay - using a AAA discount. This is still the most expensive part of my trip, but getting in early with the AAA discount helps. I also knew if things fell apart I could cancel it. I actually made three different reservations, cancelled one about a week later after reading more reviews of the hotel (Del Sol), and then after a lot of debate, cancelled the second one about two weeks ago, as it was just a bit further and I was concerned the rate I had was going to mean I was not in the updated part of the hotel (Grand Legacy). I kept BWPPI, as I really liked the location, and the people are very nice.
  • Second, we had enough miles that I could use them for a round trip ticket. So my out of pocket for that was $25 (yes, I know, it really was more in the long run, but at the moment I paid for the ticket, I shelled out $25).
  • Third, I plan to use Lyft. I have downloaded the app, but don't plan to sign up until a few weeks before; and then use a code from http://rideshareapps.com/lyft-promo-code-credit/ - hopefully that will get me from and then back to SNA. Most of these codes require you to be a new user, and the credit expires in a month.
In addition, I inherited some money. While we had some tentative plans if it was substantial, when we got the check in July it was just enough for a five-day park-hopper, with $50 for a Disney gift card leftover [note - if I hadn't bought my park hopper through LMT club, I wouldn't have had enough for gift card!]. It certainly seemed a sign, and my DH was all for my using it for my solo trip.

With the plane, hotel and park hopper all set, in August (a bit late), I started looking around for other ways to help fund my trip - I have been stashing some extra away to help offset some of the hotel, but I wanted money for food and fun. I've found some survey sites that pay per survey, and a few that offered gift cards. If I had started earlier I may have earned enough to pay for all of the hotel (still the most expensive part of my trip), but as it is I think I have enough for all my meals (I hope) and some souvenirs/fun. It was during this research I found the info about Lyft that I shared.

For my hotel, I did look at the Dapper Days rate - as I thinking of going to the Expo - but I couldn't justify the extra money. I thought about doing it for one night, but it didn't seem to make sense, the AAA rate I have at BWPPI is so much less.

I am currently planning on a few "splurges" with the "food and fun" money - a character breakfast and a table service dinner. Even so, I may cancel the character breakfast, as I'm hoping it will be quiet enough that I can see more characters without a ton of lines. I have breakfast reservations for Thursday morning, after I use the MM entry, so I thought by the end of Tuesday I'd know if I want to keep it or not and be able to cancel within the right time frame. My table service is for Friday night, as I was thinking with the it being one of the last Fridays the annual pass holders can go, and the Friday of Dapper Day weekend, it would be good to plan out my dinner that night. I also did get a $25 Ghiradelli gift card, so that will be more spur of the moment splurges.

I do have some touring plans put together for Tuesday and Wednesday, which I'll see if I use....

So, with a few weeks left, that's where I am.

A few things I thought I'd share with other planners ...

For the airfare, I wasn't sure we'd have enough points accumulated for a round trip, so I set up an alert on Kayak to come in my email each day with both LAX and SNA fares, and said to myself if it goes below $XY dollars, I'd buy it. Well, at one point it went below my set dollar amount (by like $40!), and I didn't jump on it fast enough; the next day it was up over $100 more. I'd say if you're planning enough in advance, keep an eye on what's out there, and set a target price you'd be comfortable with. I was fortunate to have the price of my last two trips as sort of guidelines to help. I also took a look at this tool https://www.cheapair.com/when-to-buy-flights to get an idea of when traditionally lower air prices were available.

For the room I did end up at the BWPPI, which I've been to before and liked, but I got a good deal at the Grand Legacy that I almost went for. I did a few things when looking for hotels - first, I signed up for rewards at a few chains/hotels, so I could get their deal emails. I also checked, a little obsessively at times, the rates I could find a places like kayak.com, expedia.com, tripadvisor.com. I would, when possible, look at the map view so I could know how far something was - with chains with multiple hotels in the same area, it's important to be sure you're getting the right one. Then I'd go directly to the site and see what the AAA rate was (if they had one), or if there were special deals, like fourth night free.

I also read the Disneyland board, which is where I found out about Last Minute Travel club, where I got my park hopper. The people on all these boards have tremendously helped me! Very worth hanging out here to keep up with what's happening - it was good to know that many places weren't going to sell Disneyland tickets after Sept. 15, for example. How else would I have known that?

I did use TouringPlans.com in the past, but I read here (see, it is helpful to keep up with these boards) that they are not as accurate now as they have been in the past. In any case, I still set up a plan for Tuesday after I arrive, and I'll see how it goes. I'm hoping that touring plans might be an okay rule of thumb for "regular days", but not so good for special days, like Dapper Days, or the last Friday that annual passes can attend in November.

In any case, my plane arrives just before noon at SNA, so I'm hoping on getting to DL around 2:30 (especially if I use Lyft). Earlier would be nice. I'll be using the app when I'm there to see if this plan is worth sticking to (another thing I learned from the board).

DL arrival until 4:30ish Tuesday, November 1
Haunted Mansion FP
Watch Soundsational Parade (this might be a bit later in the steps, depending on when I get there and where I am...)
Buzz FP
Star Tours
Buzz
Haunted Mansion
Pirates
check out the Day of the Dead display as it's the only day I can
Peter Pan ... which may be wishful thinking!

DCA 4:30ish-closing
Hope I can still pull a WOC pass (note I may run and do this before heading to DL).
(I had hoped to see the Pixar Play Parade ... but it disappeared from the schedule....)
Radiator Racers, Single Rider Line
(I'd love to time this around when the lights go on, which is 5:59...)
Break/dinner in Radiator Springs
Toy Story Mania
Turtle Talk
Animation Studio
if time see the preview
WOC (hopefully!).

Next up: first full day at Disneyland/DCA .

Last edited:
So, I'm not going to post about my plans for my first full day ... instead I'm changing tracks and making a list of things I really want to do that aren't rides, and when I hope to do them!

I should put out there that I'm trying to keep my food budget to $60/day, but I also want to have some "splurges" - which means I have to balance a splurge meal with a total budget meal. Breakfast is included with my room, and I have a gift card to Ghiradelli that will help cover some of the snacks. I don't drink alcohol, and try to stick to water when dining out ... it may be impossible, but I'm hoping I can manage to keep to my budget. I also plan to pack/bring granola bars and other snacks, along with a water bottle, to help keep my money to meals. Of course, the Beignets at the mint julep bar are going to be calling my name every morning ...

I would like to try the lobster nachos at the Cove bar. I'm hoping to do that Wednesday night/late afternoon ... I know there is a DVC event that night, and am concerned it may not be the best night to try, but with all the other things going on it seems the best night for me. That's my meal splurge for Wednesday.

I've made lunch reservations for Carthay Circle/WOC lunch ... it seemed a good "value" in that the cost of the food was about the price a three course lunch would be at Carthay Circle, which I've been wanting to try, so it was easy to convince myself it was worth it!! I did that for Thursday, figuring that after one full day I'll be ready on my second full day to rest my feet and enjoy a nice lunch, and appreciate having a nice spot for WOC. So, that's my meal splurge for Thursday.

With Dapper Days on Sunday (and the Expo on Saturday), it seems that they are predicting some heavy foot traffic on Friday? In any case I did make a table service reservation for Cafe Orleans Friday at 4:30 - before I knew DL was going to be open until midnight! That's my splurge for Friday.

I did make a character breakfast reservation (okay, I made two but replaced one with the WOC lunch), at 7:10 am on Saturday. If I do open to close on Friday I'm not sure I'm going to make it that early, so I'm thinking of cancelling it .. and to be honest, I'm just not sure it's my thing. It would be my splurge of the day, but with a long flight home and having to deal with dinner on a layover in Denver, I may need to "splurge" on mediocre airport food.

I also have a few shows I want to see: Mickey and Magical Map, and both of the shows at the Royal Theatre, as I missed those in all of my other visits. MMM is only on my very last day, so I have to plan for that on Friday. I have more flexibility with the Royal theater, I just need to time it so I can see both shows.

I'm debating about Frozen ... I'm probably one of the few people in the world who have never seen the movie (I know, shocking!), and I loved Aladdin so much .... still figuring if I want to deal with the hoopla for something I just can't get excited about.

Two weeks from today I'll be there!

So what am I over thinking today? Is it where to eat? Is it parades?

None of the above! For the last few days I've been stressing about ... purse vs sling vs waist pack.

FWIW, my husband would not be seen with me in a waist pack ... but remember, on this trip I'm traveling solo! Mwa ha ha.

Seriously, I know I'm over thinking this, but I can't decide on what to bring!

Here are the options and pros and cons (in random order).

Crossbody purse (it's the only kind I use): for the ones I have, not big enough if I want to bring water bottle and/or umbrella and/or lightweight jacket (and if it was big enough it would be more like a messenger bag and not easy to deal with on rides and who would want to carry all day). Easy to keep light. Awkward for pics (but what isn't?) Not really hands free, have to constantly move it around on rides. I find the strap bothersome by the end of the day as it's not padded.

Sling: I have a few, and am leaning towards this option. May not be able to put in a lightweight jacket and/or umbrella, but would be over kill for just a phone and wallet. Slimmer profile less likely to bump people in line. cross strap makes accentuates my chest, making them look even bigger (which, for those reading, is a CON). Can fit on rides. I have some with padded straps and some without, can use a padded strap to make the day long wearing more bearable.

Waist pack: would need to get one. Definitely won't be able to put in jacket or a water bottle or umbrella (unless I want to look like extra ridiculous). Awkward looking (especially if you aren't 8 shaped and are more round all over ... like me). However, hands free and easy to deal with on rides. Potential issues with getting phone in and out constantly, depending on what kind I get (if I get one).

Okay, so how many days am I going to need the light jacket or umbrella - or water bottle? I can get water at any CS ... but the other two are unknowable (and yes, my other obsession has been to start check out the weather, which I know is totally unreliable at this point for two weeks out, but I'm kinda freaking out about the project 99 tomorrow!). If I plan at being there from rope drop to the end of the day, then I may want to at least pack the light weight jacket for the evening .... I did need it every evening when I was there last year. If I plan on heading to the hotel mid-day, then I could go with a waist pack for the morning, and then the sling for the evening.

Did I warn you I was completely over thinking this?

Right now I'm thinking of getting a slim waist pack like this one https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MHNHMQI/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=AB6CFCJUB2226 for when I don't need to pack a lightweight jacket; hopefully it can go under my tshirts. But I'm just not sure...

I am bringing this sling http://www.eddiebauer.com/product/s...bSku_0232376100__82302376_catalog10002_en__US for when I do. The good thing about the stowable sling is if I want to just transfer everything to my jacket pockets, I can, and then fold this up and put in a pocket too.

What would you do?

Now onto something more people can relate to - how to get to Disneyland.

So in my first post I mentioned signing up for Lyft, and tracking down a credit so my ride is free!! Then ... well, I got worried. Not that it wouldn't work, but about these people who are driving me ... that came out wrong. I'm not worried about security, I'm concerned that by using a credit like this they might get stiffed on getting paid. I have no idea if this would happen, but in my concern I looked about some info about driving for Lyft (and Uber).

Let me tell you, the internet is a scary place. Okay, I'm not the first one to say that, but..

While I am still not sure how using a credit impacts what a driver receives, I now know that being a driver barely covers the cost of driving once you factor in care, maintenance, and gas prices (at least according to the three or four sites I read up on). And I imagine like in most large cities, the cost of gas is crazy. Yes, I get that it's the driver's choice to do this, but I am still uncomfortable - I feel like I am taking advantage of them.

So now I'm thinking if I do use the "free" credit, that I at least give a healthy tip - that way I know the person will get at least that money.Which may seem to counter intuitive to using the credit, but I know I wouldn't be comfortable if I felt like I was basically not paying someone fair price for their service. I like to be frugal, I like feeling like what I pay for is a good value ... but not at the expense of stiffing someone out of a wage.

With that bit of soul-seeking out of the way ... which, in hindsight might not have been something more people can relate to (who knows?), I'm back to planning my days.

Except, I planned out all my hours, and didn't really leave in time for things like wandering around looking for a cat, sitting and enjoying a caramel apple, or just perusing merchandise in the stores. It was all rush here to do this, rush there to do that ... which I know is part and parcel of being at Disney, but I have three full days. Two of them are projected low attendance; one middish attendance (and longer hours). And I have two half days - one not so crowded and one really crowded. So I had to ask myself: Do I need to ride POC seven times? (yep, that was in my built out itinerary....) So I'm rethinking things, and looking at adding more breaks and making more time to just enjoy being in Disney and chill. This is my only break time for a while, and while I certainly don't want to feel like I missed anything, I also don't want to feel stressed out when I'm there, and exhausted when I get home.

So, more on my tentative plan for my full days in my next post.

And for the couple of hundred readers who have stopped by, thanks for reading.

Wednesday plans:
First off, Park hours are 10-9 DL, 10-8 DCA.
Reservations: None
Expected crowds: Depending on site 1-3 for each park ... so low

Head to DL for Rope Drop.
Peter Pan
Alice
Haunted Mansion
Get Beignets
BTMRR **
Pirates
Indiana Jones
Roger Rabbit
Matterhorn (maybe)
Mr. Toad
(snack sometime around here - not sure where yet or if I'll just bring something)
Pinocchio
Snow white
Pick up star tours fast pass
Buzz ... possibly back to back
Winnie the Pooh (if open)
Star Tours
Enchanted Tiki room
Sleeping Beauty castle walk through
.... basically hope to get this done by 3-4ish

Head to DCA
Cove bar for early dinner (got to try those lobster nachos!)
TSMM
Ariel
Radiator Spring Racers
Mater
possibly Ghiradelli snack
Monster's inc
Sorcerer's workshop/crush/animation
should last me until 8

I am not thinking of going to DL afterward, I think I'll want to crash and rest my feet.

Sad day ... we had to put our dog to sleep, it was a very sudden deterioration and a total surprise. More about Disney another day.

It sounds like you really need this trip! I hope it is the wonderful refresher you need!

It sounds like you really need this trip! I hope it is the wonderful refresher you need!

It has been a rough week, hard to focus on updating things, etc. - thanks for the note.

But ... I packed last night. Yup, super early, but where I am has been cool, with highs in 60's ... Anaheim is expected to be mid-70s's and one day in the mid-80s. Generally speaking, different seasons, different clothes - so not too hard to pack early. Still need to do the TSA ziplock, and all those last minute things like my laptop.

I also made a reservation for 6:35 on Tuesday at ESPN zone ... just in case I need to catch the end of the World Series Game. I'll wait until Sunday to keep/cancel it, and figure out if I need to make one for Tuesday as well ... just in case.

I would be much more chipper and upbeat about this trip, but you know, I'm not there right now.

My last two trips I decided I wanted to go on a few rides that were somewhat outside my comfort zone. I know RSR seems tame, but to me it was not something I was sure I could handle, with the twists and turns and drops. Same with the Matterhorn, Splash Mountain and Indiana Jones.

So this trip my challenge rides are BTMRR, Space mountain (with whatever the overlay is ... ) and maybe Go Gadget ... the maybe is because I may feel weird doing it solo as it's so obviously a kids ride. That might complete my list - at least until we find out what's going to be in Star Wars land - as you won't ever get me on TOT or California Screamin or Jumpin Jellyfish or Golden Zephyr or Silly Symphonie swings...

I am so sorry to hear about your dog.. We just found out one of ours has a tumor and is getting surgery to remove it on Tuesday. It is always a shock when they take turn for the worst and everything seems to happen so fast. Hopefully the Disneyland planning helps keep your mind off it a little bit.

I just want to say I loved your contemplations about what bag to bring. I'm still debating what bag to bring when I go early December and I appreciate the humour around body shapes... I totally get that!

Also, good for you for going alone. I'm not sure I could do that yet - I'm not that brave. Thanks for sharing all of your pre trip planning with us :)

I am so sorry to hear about your dog.. We just found out one of ours has a tumor and is getting surgery to remove it on Tuesday. It is always a shock when they take turn for the worst and everything seems to happen so fast. Hopefully the Disneyland planning helps keep your mind off it a little bit.

So sorry to hear about your dog! I hope the surgery goes well, and thanks for your note about my dog too. I'm in a better place, but it is still hard at times.

The purse thing is a whole different bag if you are alone - both in that I'm not hauling about stuff for everyone in the family, and that I can't ask someone to carry things for me (oh, like shopping bags ...)!

Of all the places I've traveled alone (okay, most of the others were for conferences!), I like Disneyland the best. It is a place I feel comfortable and safe alone, and the cms are nice about you being a solo rider. It's even not too bad sitting by yourself.

My latest over thinking - time change, and how to handle it.

I regularly get up at 6:30 ish Central time ... which is 4:30 ish Pacific - and while I know there are people who have much larger time change issues (like our Aussie friends), that two hours throws me off. Several days while I'm there the park will be open 10 am - 8 pm, which will feel like noon -10; and while I'm not happy about the shorter days, I have to admit a little relief that I'm not going to get super off my schedule.

I can't get too off my schedule for a few reasons - 1. Changes in my sleep schedule sleep can trigger a migraine 2. I am the one who gets my son up and ready for school in the morning, so I have to be able to get up at a reasonable time when I return (and not end up with a migraine).

To somewhat complicate this in the wee hours the night after I return is the time change - which I think is going to work in my favor.

So I'm thinking I'll be getting up Wednesday at 7 am (9 am central, 8 am after the time change) for 10 am opening; Thursday and Friday 6 am (8 am central, 7 am after the time change) for 9 am MM Thursday and Friday opening 8 am Saturday opening. I can have breakfast, maybe read some and get to the gates an hour early ... with my kindle in hand. Is an hour too early? Or not early enough? I could get there even earlier (and may on Saturday, my last morning!)

And after a lot of thought, I am not going to try to stay until park closing on Friday - it is almost a certain recipe for a migraine on my last day! I'll see how I'm feeling after three full days in the parks, but currently thinking I need to at least head back to my room around 9 (11/10). That will also make it more feasible to get up and to the parks at opening on Saturday (my last morning).

Two days until I fly out ....

Less than 48 hours until I'm in the park ... and I have a stomach bug! BLECH.

While on the one hand I am super happy I'm not on my vacation when this hit, I really hope it's only a 24 hour thing.

Have so much fun!!!! I can't wait to hear about your trip! Wishing you good vibes for a full stomach bug recovery before you leave!

24 hours from now I'll be on the plane, reading some torrid romance to pass the time!

Have so much fun!!!! I can't wait to hear about your trip! Wishing you good vibes for a full stomach bug recovery before you leave!

Thanks emilyhuff - my stomach bug seems to have cleared, but I'm still eating bland foods just to make sure.

Things since my last update:
  • Packed snacks (pretzels, chex mix, protein bars, cookies) & ziplock bags to portion them out. May get some reusable containers instead, not only because it's ecologically more sustainable, but it'll keep my snacks from being crushed.
  • Last week I ordered one last Disney gift card using money from the surveys ... and it hasn't arrived yet. Today is the last day it can get here, so I'm crossing my fingers that it does! It's only $25, but going solo that's a meal (or part of one or two, depending!).
  • Checked weather (again) - looks to be in the low 70's when I arrive tomorrow, low-80s rest of week (sweet!)
  • Have to decide in the next few hours if I should keep my ESPN zone reservation, as the Cubs managed to extend the series to at least another game. My husband thinks I should just go to my hotel to watch it as it's being nationally broadcast, so the other option is to pick up a pizza and then head to the hotel. I'm not a fan of the whole bar scene, but I know it will be more fun watching this game with a crowd; but it will certainly be cheaper to do the pizza/hotel thing (and my feet may thank me for it!).
  • After much debate, cancelled Plaza Inn breakfast early on Saturday ... hopefully will see enough characters that I won't regret it.
  • Already have my clothes all laid out to wear tomorrow.
  • Still debating how to get from SNA to BWPPI - while I'm not young nor attractive, the news stories about Uber drivers when you are a single female traveling alone are frankly scary! If I do user Uber or Lyft I plan to text/talk almost the whole time.
  • Checked in to my flight.
And it's Halloween! Taking off a bit early to do grocery shopping (which I skipped yesterday as I was so sick), probably repack at least once, do a last load of laundry, and of course hand out candy!

Not sure what my next post will be hopefully either on my way to or at Disneyland!

Here!

Got in midday. Flight was longer then I remembered and I had some unexpected Disney magic a bit early - I bought a breakfast sandwhich (so I could go right to the parks) on the plane ... and it turned out the credit card thingy didn't work. I reminded them a few times that I needed to pay, and finally they told me I didn't need to. Sweet!

Did Uber ... got a really nice older gentleman, Kelly, in a Prius V. He's a former annual passholder, DVC member, with points in Aulani and Grand Californian. Between jobs, and keeping busy. He said Uber takes about 25% of what you see (that might be because of whatever level he's at), so I tipped him to make up the difference. I thought I was going to have to pay for it (that's how it appeared on my uber app), but then it said it was free in the receipt.

Then ... hotel room was ready when I got in! Only minor drawback is it's ground level and a LOT of people walk by. On the other hand, no stairs after my long days.

Unpacked a bit - realized I forgot my hat, so, gosh darn it, I have to buy a new one.

Headed out DLR and bag check/going through security was a breeze. Everyone had to go through the scanners.

Decided to go to DCA first, as I was about two hours before the soundsational parade.

Was headed to get a WOC fastpass when I remembered that a) I was going to watch the Cubs tonight and b) I had a WOC lunch planned for Thursday. So I checked out Ghiradelli, and planned out the rest of my day. Stopped in a few places and didn't find a hat.

Went to DL. People were already lined up at 1:50. Asked a very CM if I really had to sit down now, and he said he didn't think so, I could probably still get a decent view around 2:40. So I then asked about the Dia de los Muertos area, as I knew it was the last day.
dia_1.jpeg
You should be able to click for a larger size
dia_2.jpeg
Some more of the Dia de los Muertos.

Then I kept thinking I'd do a ride, but every ride I wanted to do was 30+ minutes, and now it was getting closer to time for the parade. So I wandered over the IASW and got a great pic of it sparkling in the sun.
iasw.jpeg
BTW, there were two high school marching bands before the actual parade, so getting in place a bit (not an hour early) was nice. No pics of the parade, there have been some great ones here already and I'm not a super fantastic photographer.

After the parade I did do Roger Rabbit Spin, which probably was the only time I'll do that. Oh, and I found a hat - it's a plain white one with a small pink Mickey silhouette.

Then I meandered back to DCA, spent some time wandering just enjoying being there, did Monster's Inc, then headed over to Cars Land. Had a chili cheese cone (I find them pretty filling).

It was getting close to sunset, and I ended up talking some with Ernest (I hope I remembered his name right). He was doing water paintings on the main street of Carsland. He did Donald for me, then Minnie by request. He was willing to pose with Minnie - if you see him, he's very nice and will take requests. (You can kinda see Donald in the background).
Ernest.jpeg
Saw the "Sha-boom" lighting - not worth hanging out for like I did, but it was cool to see.

Then headed to the room to catch the second half of the World Series game. Which my feet really appreciate!

Edited to add: Info about the highschool bands.

And I should add that I used the free cup of ice water three times - it was great to be able to do!

Last edited:
Looks like you are having a great trip so far and so glad you've had a bit of magic!
I've never been able to catch one of those CMs doing the water drawings. Very fun!
I also was thinking of trying to catch that sh-boom thing as we have never seen it but it doesnt sound like you found it to be worth waiting around for?

Hearing about your trip gets me so excited for mine...leave in 11 days!

Look forward to hearing more!

And now for Day 2 (first full day).

You know all those plans about when to wake up and what to do? Well, like all good plans, they had to get thrown out ...

Instead of the hoped for 7 am ... I was up at 5:30. No problem, BWPPI opens for breakfast at 6:30, so I read some, got up and had breakfast. I did grab a banana and made a pbj sandwhich for snacks for later - and then packed up some of my pretzels, a granola bar, and some hummus and pita chips.

With the super early wake up, I did make it to the parks first in line!
bythegate.jpeg

Okay, I'm going to say something here, because there seems to be some confusion. The first time I ever lined up for rope drop (last year), I was third in line, and we were lined up by one of the turnstile numbers. The next day (last year), I was later, and went to the same place ... which nobody had lined up at. I was yelled at by someone in line that there is only one line per gate (not per turnstile). This year I went, and one person was there, so I stood in the middle, between the two turnstiles. The person who was there said no, you line up by the turnstile, NOT by the gate (for those who don't know, each gate has two turnstiles). Tomorrow, I plan to be there early again... and who knows if they are going to be by gate or by turnstile.

In any case, I was talking with the people around me, you know, cause I am friendly like that. One of the CMs came up and asked me if I was with the family behind me, and I said no. He explained that he needed a family to help open the park - and I said, no problem, let them be the family. They were thrilled! And, they made me an honorary member of the family - aunt or cousin we couldn't figure out which, and asked if I could please come too, which the CM let them do.

So I got to do the opening countdown! Here's a pic (and the only other one I took today), right before the countdown.
beforecountdown.jpeg

Even being basically the first people into the park, I was not the first at the rope. Even when the rope dropped, I ended up by someone in a wheelchair who kept getting cut off, so I decided to walk by her, making it harder for people to cut right in front of her. Went right to the line for Peter Pan. Wait was about 25 minutes, and I really liked it with the updates.

Then, looking at the app, decided to go to Pirates. There was a group of 23 (?) in front of me, so I ended up in a boat with 4 people in the front row, and me in second to last row. And the projection didn't work on the mist ... and there was way more fog than I remembered after the mist. I looked, and could not find the donut. Pig was working fine.

Went and got Beignets (they were still offering caramel, but I got the regular ones), then ate them in line for Haunted Mansion. Note to self: black yoga pants and beignets don't go together well. Loved HM as usual.

Then got up my courage, and wandered my way over and rode BTMRR. I agree it's a lot tamer than I thought it would be but (did you know this was coming?) I still had motion sickness and afterwards as very dizzy. Luckily, it didn't trigger a migraine. Pshew.

Decided a break was needed, so got water from Rancho Zocalo, then went to see storytelling at the Royal Theater. Highly enjoyable, glad I saw it. I saw the Beauty and the Beast version, hope to see Tangled over the next two days.

Saw Astroblasters had a short line, and headed that way. Decided to get a fast past for Star Tours, and then decided to get one for Buzz. Buzz was 40 minutes later, and Star Tours was 60 minutes later. Not being a youngster, I went searching for the washroom.

I don't know if I mentioned it was hot today ... not 100 degree hot (thankfully), but mid-80s. So standing around for rope drop, and rides, and walking ... well, any shady, cool place is welcome.

This ties into my restroom search because I found a cool oasis - the walkway between Star Traders and the exit from Space/Hyperspace mountain is cool, has benches, plants and was quiet ... in part because Space/Hyperspace mountain was closed. I don't know how quiet it is other times, but I thought I'd point it out to anyone else like me who finds mid-80s hot and wants to check it out.

Finding a quiet cool place, and knowing I had some time, I sat and had a snack. I think having some water, cooling off, and eating a little bit of food helped most with averting headache problems.

Perused Star Traders for a bit, then went over and used my fast pass (although the line was 5 minutes long, so I felt pretty silly); and no, I didn't even break 100000.

Then went to use the Star Tours fast pass.

So, I don't know why, but I didn't realize it was 3D. Okay, it probably says it like a zillion places, but it wasn't until we turned the corner and had to get the glasses that I realized it. In case you haven't connected the dots ... motion sickness and 3D are not friends. Still, I went on, and while it was truly fantastic, I had to take off the glasses about 1/2 way through. Again, though can't watch most of it, I would seriously consider doing it again, it was that good.

By now it was about 2:30, and I decided it was time to head to DCA. I went over, rode Ariel, then decided to see what the wait was for the cove bar - it ended up being 25 minutes. It would have been shorter, but the first time they seated me was in the sun, and I asked for shade. A small gripe here - how hard is it to move the umbrellas? They aren't attached, and could have been used much more effectively. Had a virgin pina colada, and the lobster nachos. Couldn't quite finish the nachos, but they lived up to the hype. I would recommend getting the jalapenos on the side, so you can decide when to have a spicy bite, instead of unexpected surprises; thankfully Pina Colada helps fight the heat.

Decided to shop right across the way, and started not feeling too hot - too many nachos? Went over to Buena vista street, and ended up sitting for about 10 minutes. then spent 40 minutes or so shopping at Off the Page, and other stores along the way to the gates as I wanted to be back in the hotel to watch the world series game tonight anyway - one reason for the super early nachos. I had considered doing Animation Academy, but wasn't interested in the characters, so shopping seemed more fun.

Tomorrow is Magic Morning, and my Carthay Circle World of Color lunch. I'd like to hit more of the Fantasyland rides if I can.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter