TR: USA Summer 2017 New York DC Boston Niagara D23 Expo!

Day 7

Today saw us venture into the Flatiron District, but not before we stopped in to see the Chrysler Building. We didn’t get the best vantage point for it, but we had seen it from afar a fair bit before so wanted to get up close which gave us a different perspective.

TdNy7W0.jpg

gigyTdZ.jpg

Ow6xn1Q.jpg

k0QMeXL.jpg

DS is an aspiring journalist so thought this may be somewhere he ends up one day!
apaRqAm.jpg

vsIvEb8.jpg

Then we went to see the Flatiron Building at 175 & 5th Ave, . You might not know it by name but you have probably seen it. The building is very thin, long and not very tall in comparison to most other NYC buildings, as it's only 21 floors.

We also went to Bryant Park, another great green space in this city of skyscrapers. Really relaxed feel about it. There were some markets going on and just people enjoying the outdoors in general.

wcxkwCK.jpg

A7CS1im.jpg

a1eOS6s.jpg

NvjyIjq.jpg

1ZIH40b.jpg

iLkUlei.jpg

u8xDjBf.jpg

Ul8afUg.jpg

XtK9Edu.jpg

Building used for the exterior shots of Atlantis World Media headquarters in Aaron Sorkin's The Newsroom.
42FYMCO.jpg

Yd4iC8L.jpg

This truck was promoting a new app. It puts you in touch with people who will wait in a queue for you. yes you read that right, queue holders!

LEc2gBo.jpg

7QHP8Lh.jpg

Flatiron Building

a9ETnvQ.jpg

r5OY2mo.jpg

o6XafkU.jpg

Day 7 Part 2

[wiki]

Union Square is an important and historic intersection and surrounding neighborhood in Manhattan, New York City, located where Broadway and the former Bowery Road – now Fourth Avenue came together in the early 19th century; its name denotes that "here was the union of the two principal thoroughfares of the island" rather than celebrating either the Federal union of the United States or labor unions . The current Union Square Park is bounded by 14th Street on the south, Union Square West on the west side, 17th Street on the north, and on the east Union Square East, which links together Broadway and Park Avenue South to Fourth Avenue and the continuation of Broadway. The park is under the aegis of the New York City Department of Parks and Recreation.

Dt5x6H2.jpg

wnO545M.jpg

DO23LEy.jpg

pwyKqIs.jpg

8vfjjAX.jpg

9q0AS9n.jpg

Believe it or not the next photo is a Clock…

So how exactly does the clock work? “The Passage” is a 15-digit clock that counts the time from midnight. When read left to right, the seven numbers to the left count the hours and minutes that have passed since midnight. When read right to left, the seven numbers to the right counts the hours and minutes remaining until midnight. The number in the middle is a hundredth of a second and is just a blur to the naked eye.

For example, if the clock reads 070437000235616, it means that 7 hours, 4 minutes, 37 seconds, and 0 tenths of a second have passed since midnight. Therefore, it is 7:04 AM (and you’re still drunk in Union Square). There are also 16 hours, 56 minutes, 23 seconds, and 0 tenths of a second until the next midnight.

if you want to know more then …

https://nyulocal.com/solving-the-union-square-numbers-once-and-for-all-a3a1d5f6b8df

JsTf67K.jpg

8vMeoS1.jpg

TVEgaxx.jpg

2PqMpqn.jpg

UMdk8aV.jpg

Day 7 Part 3

We went down to Central Park again in the afternoon as we wanted to take another photo of us all like we did in winter at the Bethesda Fountain. I brought my tripod with me on the trip so it was easy to set up and take.

Winter & Summer Comparisons (18 months apart)
4nBz3qA.jpg

GhMX2z6.jpg

EyW7jLw.jpg

LVdoktO.jpg

GtM47AL.jpg

qWkZmHZ.jpg

470WHkK.jpg

r75jOJf.jpg

After that, another walk through this magnificent park

bSWHHCv.jpg

3I2kAYf.jpg

wpNkVd3.jpg

6wdEvY3.jpg

V8iW3jL.jpg

Last edited:
Day 8

Our final full day in NYC (for this time) took us down to Chinatown and Little Italy. Lots of walking followed by a bit of eating!

TAahz1o.jpg

fbiYDSA.jpg

cVjMAPA.jpg

mP714hA.jpg

6uBsjOZ.jpg

fT0GVRB.jpg

acT5wNv.jpg

iFMhMXN.jpg

UIaDMOg.jpg

DThYLS4.jpg

Last edited:

Some photos of our apartment in New York. We stayed at the Beacon Hotel which is in the Upper Westside. A really great area and I’d totally recommend it. We did have a slight issue with one of the check in staff at the main desk, but I wouldn’t let this spoil our feeling for the hotel or the area.

pJwK8p8.jpg

Taken just before we left so a little messy.
M26Eolk.jpg

The kitchen was great for breakfast for croissant and bagels that we bought each day from the market across the road.
JfoFfgK.jpg

Great to have so much space With a seperate living and meals area in New York
r1O9sRq.jpg

Mx8woDw.jpg

X6KPHhS.jpg

rLqkG3P.jpg

teAPRD0.jpg

Last edited:
Day 9

Interesting morning, Uber didn't show up. Taxi wouldn't take us ended up walking from hotel to 72nd st subway (not too far) and catching subway to Penn Station with all our luggage in tow to get our Amtrak train to DC. Little stressful for us but we've calmed down and went to relax in the Acela lounge before our train trip. I did just buy DS 3 copies of the same magazine so he could get the three different Star Wars covers !

kZS2R8T.jpg

We, along with a few others, used a Red Cap which the lounge arranged for us. I couldn’t believe the amount of luggage he carried on his cart. We got taken to the train first and got settled in quickly. Before long we were being offered a drink

It was 2hr:55mins, very relaxing , had a nice meal along the way and saw some nice countryside

Video of our setup on the Acela NYC to DC service

Some photos of the trip.

BgYNwNu.jpg

gfEqzV3.jpg

RzLqmco.jpg

nCXk6Mo.jpg

SjPmcPz.jpg

TmY9qxx.jpg

L59FEvt.jpg

8AEKN9o.jpg

Last edited:
Loving reading the trip report. NY looks amazing. Thanks for the points tips. I have got a credit card that had a mediocre points award at the start - about 40000, but now I'm reading that I could have got much bigger! bummer.

Day 9 Part 2

Our adventures today continue. We arrived at Union Station, our car was there to pick us up and we were before to long arriving at the historic Willard InterContinental and when walked inside the lobby we were greeted by a dozen Secret Service Police, metal detectors, and baggage X-ray machines! Least we feel we're in a pretty safe hotel! We found out it's because the Indian Prime Minister and his entourage are staying here. The Secret Service police were great. They did laughingly comment about the size of DW’s suitcase as it only just fit through the X-ray machine!

BQDE84t.jpg

8fZ9HDc.jpg

Here are some photos of our room/suite

BtEV3Sy.jpg

GLuzWxu.jpg

9PIP3xn.jpg

hQ53xLo.jpg

s8PsNpb.jpg

YUKaWL0.jpg

no2EBi2.jpg

nifYMrq.jpg

GlroelQ.jpg

The view from the window of the lounge of the Washington Monument was fantastic
GmZc8bT.jpg

rjfkFSa.jpg

And here is a walkthrough of the suite.

There is a lot of history in this hotel. I wrote a bit about it in my last trip report. I’ll repost that info here for anyone who may not have seen it and is interested.

I was reading various blogs and hotel review and the more I read about the Willard the more I really liked it. I had learned that President Lincoln had stayed here as had many other presidents. The bill for Lincolns stay was framed and was hanging in the lobby. I also learned various political advocates used to wait in the ‘lobby’ of this hotel for an opportunity to talk to the then President Ulysses S. Grant to push their agenda and so the term ‘lobbist’ was coined.

Loving reading the trip report. NY looks amazing. Thanks for the points tips. I have got a credit card that had a mediocre points award at the start - about 40000, but now I'm reading that I could have got much bigger! bummer.

Well CC companies are pretty generous with giving people their cards so you can alway get another one or two! Of course just be sure to spend wisely or you could be in trouble!!

I'm glad you like the report thanks. NY is just a fantastic city and I'm so glad we got to see it in summer also. I would like to experience it when it is snow covered though it seems like it can get pretty extreme pretty quickly so I'd always be a bit apprehensive about that. I'm sure (hope) we will get back there in winter again one day to experience that.

What lovely photos of you and your family :) - especially liked the 'winter and summer comparisons'. Looks like you had a great time just soaking up the atmosphere and the beautiful architecture.

Brilliant pictures and loving your report now I have time to catch up with it! Making me want to go back to NYC SOON!! (NB which program are you now using to post with - Fickr?) Also whenever we next visit we must go looking for more of the statues that you photographed in Central Park and that we missed - but then so much artwork in NYC, I imagine it takes a lot of visits to unearth them all. We really loved the different feel of each of the different areas in NYC. Since we stayed in Chelsea we bordered Greenwich and the Meatpackers District so it was fun exploring those areas and so different to the Upper East and West sides. Like you I also love how green and in places, "wild", central park is. Awaiting your report on Boston with interest never having visited but having heard a lot of people who rave about it but obviously you, less so?

Brilliant pictures and loving your report now I have time to catch up with it! Making me want to go back to NYC SOON!! (NB which program are you now using to post with - Fickr?) Also whenever we next visit we must go looking for more of the statues that you photographed in Central Park and that we missed - but then so much artwork in NYC, I imagine it takes a lot of visits to unearth them all. We really loved the different feel of each of the different areas in NYC. Since we stayed in Chelsea we bordered Greenwich and the Meatpackers District so it was fun exploring those areas and so different to the Upper East and West sides. Like you I also love how green and in places, "wild", central park is. Awaiting your report on Boston with interest never having visited but having heard a lot of people who rave about it but obviously you, less so?

i'm using Imgur. really bummed that my previous trip report is ruined with the Photobucket changes. I'm going to try and upload and relink the photos from the previous ones, but that will take some time for sure.

I was so very much looking forward to Boston. I don't know what it was about it that didn't live up to our expectations. I am glad I've seen it but I wouldn't be rushing back in a hurry, though DC & NYC I'd be back in a heartbeat

What lovely photos of you and your family :) - especially liked the 'winter and summer comparisons'. Looks like you had a great time just soaking up the atmosphere and the beautiful architecture.

thank you very much. I look back on the photos from all our trips and the memories they bring me, get me through a lot.

The winter and summer comparison for both NYC & DC was so stark. We are very lucky to have experienced both seasons. I really want to see DC in the Spring with the Cherry Blossoms blooming next! and a snow covered NYC is definitely still on the bucket list

Day 9 Part 3

We went for a walk around DC. Because we had been here before we knew our way around a little so we headed straight for the North side of the White House.
We were met with blocked streets and more Secret Service Police directing everyone to wait. There was a motorcade on it way and they had closed Pennsylvania Ave & 15th st. It didn't take too long, maybe 5/10 mins, then we were let on our way again and we got to some familiar sites.

Streets blocked for the motorcade
Y2I0QHI.jpg

X0VheJc.jpg

fuZNkRA.jpg

jBP8rVY.jpg

SBmUipH.jpg

The Capitol
p2gV6K7.jpg

M5MxRk5.jpg

QW6Uqs9.jpg

A44jaA6.jpg

hK8WrZQ.jpg

dWoBF01.jpg

SDcEJjo.jpg

I3nxZcf.jpg

YuvW1z3.jpg

They have kept the public back even further that they were in 2015
0Y4nlaA.jpg

ZNtaNdy.jpg

iLRrtdC.jpg

UA5wqeP.jpg

tuauhuO.jpg

bmNfoVQ.jpg

The National Christmas Tree
QvdvLBg.jpg

wflIANC.jpg

BtcBRpH.jpg

zFTa9lA.jpg

Day 9 part 4

Some night time photos from our suite. When I look at these I am so glad that I packed my tripod ..correction DS's tripod (he would want me to correct myself!)

j0BzGo6.jpg

Captured a plane taking off from Ronald Reagan International Airport
ut6CL46.jpg

UIvdxca.jpg

1ouIXJw.jpg

3PfUIir.jpg

5zOGmCo.jpg

Last edited:
Day 10

Today we walked to one of the Smithsonian, The Museum for American History , which covered such a wide range of historical topics, I couldn't begin to list them all. I'll just post some of our photos and I mean just some as I took 100's , these just scratch the surface, so much to see and explore in this place.

I did make some notes in the Harry Potter notebook I bought so I could jog my memory when I got back and came to writing my trip report!

The museum covered a lot of history , below are just some :

Inventions, eg lightbulb, electricity, water turbines etc

Automotive

The river transportations, trains & cars

Revolutionary war and History of Independence

Currency

Japanese Interment – this was really quite moving

Popular Culture

Presidential

wwupnlC.jpg

BIkfyVY.jpg

qiCYi03.jpg

UyR8pNj.jpg

IbaflNN.jpg

fZB2vcp.jpg

3E1F0eY.jpg

Agx01Z3.jpg

20pOMi5.jpg

The kid mannequins were a bit creepy
uohbMlS.jpg

Electric Socks!
uVMznuY.jpg

I remember this packaging
8dzlJBZ.jpg

E4TT8gm.jpg

I thought these looked Lightsaber!
rNMmNEx.jpg

5q7hbwJ.jpg

Abstract US Flag
wIQPsIX.jpg

eGLnP6h.jpg

This section was really eye-opening and quite emotional
R6toOLd.jpg

Q4eWyXF.jpg

jGgSrpH.jpg

fv22z6V.jpg

Vy2IBvy.jpg

Hp2HTnh.jpg

6JDobMp.jpg

NZb3dqf.jpg

zE7SVtF.jpg

Wall of Presidents
h4FDFn0.jpg

There were some other artifacts here from the German regime in the war inc the Nazi swastika flag but I couldn't bring myself to take a photo of it.
FXR5vBc.jpg

SMg4hay.jpg

TRXDkI8.jpg

PAyIfVT.jpg

Last edited:
Day 10 Part 2

A short stroll down the National Mall and we were at the National Museum of African American History and Culture. This museum opened in September 2016 and is VERY busy, so busy that you need to get timed tickets to enter. The Concierge arranged ours for us or you can do it online. they don't cost anything, but because it is so popular being so new, you need to get tickets to visit.

The museum takes you on a journey from the 1400's to current day. There is a large section on slavery, the fight for freedom, segregation laws and the civil rights movement. It was a most educational and sometimes eye-opening experience.

While it was very crowded, it seems to me that the design and layout of the exhibits actually hinder the flow of people through it. For instance, to start everyone has to go into this large lift to go down three floors where the exhibit starts. This creates a massive bottleneck from the get go and then everyone following the same track so it's a snails place.

Also in the Galleries we also found that there were lots of parts where you got to a dead end and had to then double back which just caused congestion. Maybe it wouldn't have been noticeable if it wasn't so busy but when we went it was and this is what we observed.

The slavery section was very moving, I didn’t realise how far back slavery went (1400’s)

I was also really interested in the section which went through the conflict and the “compromises” for the states when considering or being challenged fo the continuation of slavery in their states.

National Museum of African American History and Culture
G1Jrmlj.jpg

z1cVp7C.jpg

Little did we know we would have an encounter with Oprah later on in the trip! stay tuned...
ywIOiNo.jpg

ib6IWDm.jpg

yWlphCE.jpg

5yhPHZv.jpg

LX7lFw8.jpg

o16OI71.jpg

e434NUj.jpg

2DneJ25.jpg

Mp0rZ5M.jpg

SoPut6I.jpg

EyDb3fl.jpg

QrelTHJ.jpg

stbNZMc.jpg

y9HvkHV.jpg

xR0nm2Y.jpg

Fm2O0zf.jpg

Zw3nb5Q.jpg

no fake news here
kezDXEn.jpg

7dhUEJN.jpg

0baExRq.jpg

Last edited:
Day 11 Mount Vernon - George Washington Estate

Today we went to Mount Vernon - George Washington's Estate in Virginia. It was about a 30min Uber from the hotel and cost $29. Driving through Virginia it really felt like we were in the countryside, tree lined winding roads, which reminded us a lot of around Mt Tamborine for those that know that area.
We got to the Estate and it is huge. We had a tour of the mansion booked for 11:55 , we arrived about 11:20 and they told us we should make our way directly there as it was a bit of a walk. The Mansion tour was interesting to see and we got to hear a bit of history which was good, though overall a bit over rated and priced in all honesty. It was $20/person ($18 online), was probably worth $5-10, but hey you get that.

Good to see ad hear the history but quite basic. Quite a long wait before it starts despite being given tour time. This is when you line up. Visited rooms inside the mansion including servants house, Main receiving room, parlours, bedrooms, study an kitchen. Also other buildings not attached to mansion, Stable, smokehouse and laundry.

The vista out to the Potomac River is quite spectacular. We also got to see the Washington Tomb, both his current resting place and the Old tomb.

ByBu3Pn.jpg

Mat3rOK.jpg

MAvfZu4.jpg

The Mansion
4MAWT5t.jpg

in4c1vf.jpg

qNA4Wuz.jpg

33uwfWj.jpg

Eu3x8J1.jpg

AtxMy1O.jpg

YjJw9gA.jpg

Servants house
pYATENG.jpg

pv9QqzU.jpg

View out to the Potomac
nTMCo6N.jpg

gGMH4ff.jpg

K6WDwBu.jpg

Kitchen
EuJfpLX.jpg

032gZL1.jpg

f9EJRmP.jpg

3cQyBAT.jpg

2GaWoka.jpg

N4wo1xD.jpg

LQDSnX3.jpg

Smoke house
N7W442l.jpg

fGk0r8o.jpg

QeICPHs.jpg

FZJ8Zwe.jpg

2E9i0wb.jpg

O1BkL4s.jpg

zSMyAa9.jpg

2beoL14.jpg

axkIHdU.jpg

SaFVL2E.jpg

Martha & George Washington's resting place (George Washington in RHS sarcophagus)
Q2RChJl.jpg

UAtrbxz.jpg

TefY0m7.jpg

Last edited:
Day 11 Mount Vernon Part 2

There were are number of other buildings , sights and memorials, including a Slave Memorial, on the Estate also. they use the term "enslaved persons" instead of slaves in most instances on the estate which they say they do so out of respect, though still an abhorrent practice. It was interesting to learn how Washington's view on slavery changed over time to the point that in his Will he declared that all his owned slaves were to be given their freedom. There is also a Museum and Education Centre but no photos allowed in there.Lots of artifacts and documents from Washington's life. Well worth a trip.

Lunch was at the food court at Mount Vernon with standard US fare, did have a Papa Johns Pizza.

We spent about 3 hour at Mount Vernon and could have spent another 1-2 hours quite easily.

Going back to hotel I went to order an Uber and read it wrong, I thought it said that they would be 25mins to pick up, so we decided to just get in a taxi which was already there. As it turns out it was 25 min to destination and only minutes to pickup but I didn't work that out till later. The cab ride back was so much more expensive, cost over $50 + tip. Lesson learned. We have caught Ubers here a lot, they are so cheap. We were going to go to Arlington Cemetery, but it started to rain on the way back in the taxi so we just went back to the hotel for some down time.

Dinner that night we went to a restaurant called Georgia Browns on 15th St which was Southern styled cuisine. The food was very flavoursome. I had a deconstructed jambalaya which had lots of flavour but because it was deconstructed it didn't have the stew like flavour/consistency. We walked from the hotel to the restaurant it was on 5/10 mins and being summer daylight was till about 9pm.

GL6JNYN.jpg

BGEqk8x.jpg

MFij3J6.jpg

B2A7YRA.jpg

vHyI1Zc.jpg

You could do a boat tour on the Potomac, which I think would be a really nice trip.
BCDVykc.jpg

lIBYmsL.jpg

MgSvo9H.jpg

gK3jwV4.jpg

10In6DB.jpg

Someone wanted to go for a walk!
YZ09KDO.jpg

qBfiTwg.jpg

4BgWXqv.jpg

3Mn6nf6.jpg

2I5G4W6.jpg

kaJEB2M.jpg

8daOUsN.jpg

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!