Tracking Cruising Restart: News and Updates

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fear = Ratings? Where is the fear in that article? Seems pretty factual as to what’s happening.

And the guy working in the sub store needs his job as much as cruise employees need theirs so in his mind it is essential. In my mind, food is more important than a vacay on a cruise ship.

food is definitely essential and a cruise is not essential to our life, but both those of employees need a job. CLIA put out a thing early in this shutdown saying the cruise industry provides like 1.2 million jobs or something. This shutdown has been brutal for those who work on the cruise ships, as well as the state of Florida's economy (and to a smaller extent some other ports who also accept cruise ships for departures in the US) as well as all of the caribbean island nations who are heavily reliant on cruise ships for their economy.

I am not necessarily advocating for cruise ships to restart operations right this minute, but I feel like there needs to be progress made, and progress made soon so the ships can start sailings again.

Fear = Ratings? Where is the fear in that article? Seems pretty factual as to what’s happening.

By demonizing cruising while turning a blind eye to literally every single other Covid speading business on the planet. No other business gets front page news when someone catches Covid. One would have to be incredibly naive not to notice the wildly unequal coverage the media gives Covid contracted on a cruise versus Covid contracted at any specific land based business.

You can still sensationalize something factual and I would hope people are smart enough to see that. For example, there is a diamond mine near me. People for years visit as a tourist destination and once or twice a year, a tourist finds a raw uncut diamond. Was it factual they found a diamond? Yes it was. Was it sensationalized by the mine and the local media so that hundreds of thousands of more people would pay and visit per year and find nothing, of course. So factual is irrelevant, unequal coverage by a biased media is what makes it sensationalized. Did a few people catch Covid on a cruise line that’s been operating for months, could be factual. Will the media sensationalize that over the tens of millions catching Covid from land based business, you bet. It’s click bait media and judging by the responses it clearly works.

food is definitely essential and a cruise is not essential to our life, but both those of employees need a job. CLIA put out a thing early in this shutdown saying the cruise industry provides like 1.2 million jobs or something. This shutdown has been brutal for those who work on the cruise ships, as well as the state of Florida's economy (and to a smaller extent some other ports who also accept cruise ships for departures in the US) as well as all of the caribbean island nations who are heavily reliant on cruise ships for their economy.

I am not necessarily advocating for cruise ships to restart operations right this minute, but I feel like there needs to be progress made, and progress made soon so the ships can start sailings again.

I totally understand the cruise industry as I work in the travel industry. I still feel it is not the time for this. We need to keep numbers low so that hospital workers can keep up and not overwhelm the icu units. My opinion.

Hopefully enough people read the correction article and that it can help undo some of the rush to sensationalize in the original "news" article. The original news article rushed to get out a click bait story and unfortunately did not have all the facts.
I don't see anything sensational in any of these articles. The false positives were indeed positive - until they re-tested them in Athens.

By demonizing cruising while turning a blind eye to literally every single other Covid speading business on the planet. No other business gets front page news when someone catches Covid. One would have to be incredibly naive not to notice the wildly unequal coverage the media gives Covid contracted on a cruise versus Covid contracted at any specific land based business.

Perhaps the difference is the fact that the individual passengers do not have control over getting off the ship if there are cases. As we saw in the spring, some ships with positive cases were denied the ability to port and offload passengers. These articles give people more information about whether they are willing to sail given current conditions and then responses to those conditions.

Perhaps the difference is the fact that the individual passengers do not have control over getting off the ship if there are cases. As we saw in the spring, some ships with positive cases were denied the ability to port and offload passengers. These articles give people more information about whether they are willing to sail given current conditions and then responses to those conditions.

I wonder if the state of Florida will have a say as to what happens to Covid positive passengers that are off loaded at the end of each cruise. Now that Florida allows 100% capacity for restaurants & bars, I don’t see good things happening here (I live in FL). Today’s positive Covid numbers are triple of yesterday’s. Not good.

I wonder if the state of Florida will have a say as to what happens to Covid positive passengers that are off loaded at the end of each cruise. Now that Florida allows 100% capacity for restaurants & bars, I don’t see good things happening here (I live in FL). Today’s positive Covid numbers are triple of yesterday’s. Not good.

Hopefully anyone debarking with Covid is treated with the same care and dignity as the millions of people in the U.S. who contracted Covid on land. There is no reason to view or treat them any different.

Their mega-ship - Grandiosa - left the port on August 16 and is currently on a 7-night voyage with 70% capacity.

They are doing a temperature check, health questionnaire, and rapid COVID-19 swab test for every guest prior to boarding. The test results are received while the guest waits in the terminal.

https://www.msccruisesusa.com/news/msc-grandiosa-restarts-in-the-mediterranean-from-genoa

Those are great precautions for sure and they should be applauded for doing all the can. Sadly though the virus can still be incubating before its detected depending on when the person was exposed. And a seemingly healthy person who tests negative may develop systems a few days later and infect a large part of the ship.

So this influences the CDC I’m guessing. I’m just not sure which way.
PS hope you are safe there.

Hopefully anyone debarking with Covid is treated with the same care and dignity as the millions of people in the U.S. who contracted Covid on land. There is no reason to view or treat them any different.

I think the concern in the spring was having many people disembark who needed to be quarantined or hospitalized. If cruising begins again in the US, should Miami (or PC, Galveston, etc) be responsible for all those people? If so, who pays for that? The local municipalities may see this not as a care and dignity question, but an economic one.

I think the concern in the spring was having many people disembark who needed to be quarantined or hospitalized. If cruising begins again in the US, should Miami (or PC, Galveston, etc) be responsible for all those people? If so, who pays for that? The local municipalities may see this not as a care and dignity question, but an economic one.

Well luckily the vast majority who get Covid do not require hospitalization or even require treatment. They should be treated just like the millions who catch Covid on land. As far as who pays, once again they should be treated no different, if you go to hospital you pay, use insurance or provide SSN and then when you don't pay they attach your credit, same way hospitals have been operating for decades, no difference today. Also, as far as the municipalities and economics, those municipalities have way more to gain financially from things getting back up and going than the cost of a few people's personal medical liabilities.

https://res.cloudinary.com/dix5tzpv...55/CLIA/pressroom/US_EIS_Overview_2019-01.jpg

Well luckily the vast majority who get Covid do not require hospitalization or even require treatment. They should be treated just like the millions who catch Covid on land. As far as who pays, once again they should be treated no different, if you go to hospital you pay, use insurance or provide SSN and then when you don't pay they attach your credit, same way hospitals have been operating for decades, no difference today. Also, as far as the municipalities and economics, those municipalities have way more to gain financially from things getting back up and going than the cost of a few people's personal medical liabilities.
The way MSC and other European lines have handled it so far is by working with the ports to set up quarantine facilities on shore. You basically transfer everyone to a building at the port. (Port fees can take care of it.) This works in Italy because the next port - also Italian - is just around the corner.

What is more of an issue is what happens when you are two days out in the Caribbeans and you get an outbreak. Either you will have to get a Caribbeans ports to chip in like those in Italy or Greece, or you double time back to Miami/PC - or wherever your quarantine facility is.

If this happens at a land resort, you can test everyone, and whoever turns up healthy can just leave. Now, the whole ship is at the mercy of the virus spread until the ship finds a port. That's why the sanitation measures on board will be critical. Can you truly isolate the infected for two days? The latest Mein Schiff incident would have been an eye opener, but now we have to (fortunately) wait some more to find out.

CDC cruise ban expires in less than 34 hours, this is the closest we've been.
This may be indicative of a change or adjustment to the order. If they were going to flat out extend it, they would do it already.

CDC cruise ban expires in less than 34 hours, this is the closest we've been.
I think you’re going to get your wish on this one. Royal Caribbean has got some of their people getting calls saying expect a call. Although I don’t expect Disney to stick their proverbial toe in the water first. Kind of makes me believe that Disney went half into December to give Royal Caribbean a chance to be hit hard by the media instead of themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter