Tracking Cruising Restart: News and Updates

Status
Not open for further replies.
In the mean time Princess Australia has canceled all cruises through end of May 2021.

https://www.carnivalcorp.com/news-r...ruises-announces-extension-pause-operations-0
That's a tough one. Australian school holidays run from the third week of December to the end of January. If seasonal cruise lines aren't going to sail in those dates, it doesn't make sense to bring the ships over for a couple of soft-demand months and then have to re-position again.

Different story for P&O and Carnival though -- as they have ships permanently home ported in Australia.

OK, so the first Caribbean cruise coming up on Nov 7.

SeaDream Yacht Club, admittedly a niche 100-guest offering, will sail out of Barbados starting November 2020. Quite a few differences from the other restarts:

1. The ship will cruise out of Barbados on 7-day itineraries. US guests welcome.

2. One PCR test needed within 48 to 72 hours before boarding. A possible second test at the airport. Then, they have the Abbott's test set up for the day of boarding. So, up to three tests!

3. No marks required on board.

4. They are looking to use some of Apple's tech for contact tracing. Might mean using Apple watches.

5. And this one is the opinion of its CEO, Atle Brynestad:

"Come November, I believe there's going to be a big change from the CDC for the US ports," Brynestad opined.

More reading:
https://www.seatrade-cruise.com/shi...eam-i-begin-season-barbados-round-trips-nov-7
Looks like the SeaDream Yacht is now sailing out of Barbados. They aren't touching any US ports and are a smaller boat. No masks required on board; testing is more stringent.

There aren't any balconies, and their staterooms start at USD 3,000pp based on double occupancy (plus taxes) for a 7-night voyage.

https://thepointsguy.com/news/first-caribbean-cruise-seadream-boarding-process/

^^^
Interesting quote from their CEO:

"I look at 2021 as a transition year," he said. "I believe we will have our entire fleet up and running sometime in latter half of '21 so that 2022 becomes the first year since 2019 that we can operate the entire fleet for the full year. 2022 is the road to normalization, and 2023 is normalization."

Looks like the SeaDream Yacht is now sailing out of Barbados. They aren't touching any US ports and are a smaller boat. No masks required on board; testing is more stringent.

Well, that didn't take long... looks like one of the passengers tested positive for COVID during the cruise:

https://thepointsguy.com/news/caribbean-cruise-covid-scare-seadream/
During his address to passengers, Lund said the results of the test that came back positive, a rapid test, were “preliminary” but the vessel was working under the assumption that it had one or more COVID patients on board.

He said the passenger who was tested had felt ill before the test.

Royal Caribbean has a sign-up list for anyone wanting to volunteer. Matt @ the RC Blog has some details.

I know, for a lot of you, you'd rather sail DCL, but I also know that you aren't likely to turn down a free cruise if offered.

Royal Caribbean has a sign-up list for anyone wanting to volunteer. Matt @ the RC Blog has some details.

I know, for a lot of you, you'd rather sail DCL, but I also know that you aren't likely to turn down a free cruise if offered.
Worth noting this is for 18yrs and over, no kids.

Several cruise brands including Carnival (Princess and HAL included in that) and RCL and I think even NCL, have taken off cruises that are 8+ nights and originate in US ports off their website (not canceling them but just making sure no one else books them at the moment). DCL has yet to follow suit but I'm sure they will.

Several cruise brands including Carnival (Princess and HAL included in that) and RCL and I think even NCL, have taken off cruises that are 8+ nights and originate in US ports off their website (not canceling them but just making sure no one else books them at the moment). DCL has yet to follow suit but I'm sure they will.
And the issue with the remaining bookings is that there is no certainty they will remain in their current date and itinerary slots.

Beyond removing some of the longer sailings, cruise lines may have to do embarkation and debarkation on separate days, which will throw a lot of dates off the sequence. Or, they may take a day off the sailing and they you have to wonder whether you agreed to a fare too soon.

Dream heading home

Attachments

• D5C42694-F07C-4C61-8588-70A6D09E6AA0.jpeg
    D5C42694-F07C-4C61-8588-70A6D09E6AA0.jpeg
    119.5 KB · Views: 28
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter