Trader Sam’s

AmyJamer

Earning My Ears
I’ve never been and wanted to go on our trip in December. Is it typically a long wait? Wanted to get an earlier dinner but kids can’t handle a long wait. Debating on being safe and making a reservation in downtown Disney or chancing it here. Thoughts?

It's not usually too crowded if you are there between 4 and 5. You probably won't get an inside table, though. There are only a couple that seat more than 2 people. If you really want to sit inside, you'll have to go at a super random time like 2pm on a weekday, and even then you may have to wait. How old are your kids? It's not really a place for little ones, IMO. It's a bar, and it gets VERY loud and rowdy in there, which some kids may not like. They do stuff like randomly squirt everyone with water and there are some loud special effects. I know my own kids would hate it. They might enjoy the outdoor seating with live Hawaiian music in the evenings more than being inside what is essentially a very dark, cave like bar.

It’s not a good dinner place. Their food is prepared at Tangaroa Terrace, which is under construction. So, the limited menu is being prepared in an underground hotel kitchen and brought up. There have been reports of sub par food.

I suggest saving it for another trip.

It’s not a good dinner place. Their food is prepared at Tangaroa Terrace, which is under construction. So, the limited menu is being prepared in an underground hotel kitchen and brought up. There have been reports of sub par food.

I suggest saving it for another trip.

Yea we had a terrible experience at Trader Sams a couple of days ago. The service was super slow and the food was served cold in take out boxes. I won't likely bother going back on future trips. Not impressed at all.

I'm not sure how the refurb of Tengora Terrace might be affecting things, but generally speaking wait time is not bad at all if you're willing to sit outside. I actually think sitting outside at night is quite nice - they have torches and often live music, and it's a very relaxing atmosphere. A really great place to unwind. And I think it's fine for dinner as long as you're ok with having a few appetizers rather than a single entree.

The atmosphere inside is very different and I believe that's what previous posters are referring to with regard to it not being a good family dinner spot. Inside is a bar - a silly bar, but still a bar with noise and darkness and whatnot. The wait to sit inside is likely to be much longer.

Be sure to look into (1) the limited menu due to the refurb and (2) the time at which children are no longer allowed (and whether that includes the outside seating).

Thanks everyone! Kids aren’t allowed after 8 and that’s about their bedtime so no problems there. But sounds like we will skip this time anyways. Appreciate the help!

We go for lunch with DD - she loves it (so doe we ;)). We get there like 10 minutes before they open and have never had issues finding a table. Usually there are 3 of us but on one trip we had 5 ppl and on another we had 4.

We go for lunch with DD - she loves it (so doe we ;)). We get there like 10 minutes before they open and have never had issues finding a table. Usually there are 3 of us but on one trip we had 5 ppl and on another we had 4.

This is our trick as well, though we usually get there at least 20 minutes before opening and there is always a line of people waiting. Our DD also loves it, though she never wants to stay as long as I do! Inside is where all the stuff kids enjoy can be found.

This is our trick as well, though we usually get there at least 20 minutes before opening and there is always a line of people waiting. Our DD also loves it, though she never wants to stay as long as I do! Inside is where all the stuff kids enjoy can be found.
Good to know! Sounds like a place my kids would like too. Lunch sounds like a great option

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter