Trader Sam's Tips?

We went last July around 9:30 PM and there was a wait. We were told to stand outside and my husband and I were the fourth party- so it was a bit of a wait. When we were told to go in, I expected to have a table, but there weren't any. We stood at a wall where another couple was standing. We each just took tables as they were available- I thought that was kind of weird. Probably not how it's usually done. I will say it was well worth the wait. The drinks were great and the environment was fun, we'll be going back every time now. We even bought mugs, I love seeing them all the time on a shelf in my kitchen. I highly recommend it!

We went to Trader Sam's in DL on our last trip. There is no hostess or anyone inside, it's vulture seating. You go in and have to wait for a seat to open and grab it right away. I think there is about a dozen stools at the bar. 6-8 tables with seating for 4 people and 3-4 standing small tables. There was lots of seating outside, with servers, but it's not the same as being inside. We went mid afternoon and waited 20 minutes for a couple folks to leave and got stools at the bar. The table turnover was slow, many people who came in after us waiting quite a while to get a seat. When you sit inside, the bartenders are entertaining, there are 'special effects' when certain drinks are ordered and other 'enchantments' that you don't get outside. I really wish they would have a hostess or waiting list for here though.

This was my experience as well this past February. We didn't even bother trying to wait for a table, just went back to the Hearthstone Lounge at the Grand Californian. All these comments about open seats give me some hope for our trip in November.

You can always sit outside, pretty sure they have waiters out there.

Haven’t been there, but from my understanding it’s far more of a “spectacle” by sitting inside, as you would expect in true Disney fashion.

Also, I’m terribly jealous of the comments of being able to just walk in and fit a spot, or just wait for a few minutes. Every time I’ve checked there have been about 15 people outside waiting and I’ve heard “45 minutes or so”. It’s always been sometime during the last two weeks in October, both weeknight and weekend and usually around 10 or 11pm. So I’m curious if it picks up and gets busy real late at night (after the park closes or near closing).

Get there 15 min or so before they open for lunch and you should be ok. Otherwise it's hit or miss - 80% of the time we wind up outside but that can be really nice when there is live music.

We have always been fairly lucky and generally only wait 10-15 minutes for a table for four.

Waiting for a table is a bit of a game with unwritten rules, but generally everyone is polite. My wife and I take notice of who's already waiting and make sure that they know we aren't there to cut in, usually just by asking how long they've been waiting or wether they prefer the bar, a table or whatever opens up first. Since we usually have our two kids with us, the bar isn't an option. Then we try to hover on opposite sides of the room, out of the way enough so as not to be rude, but so that it's obvious we're waiting. Generally a group that is leaving will flag us down.

Personally I think it's worth the hassle. The food is good, the drinks are great but the atmosphere and Disney magic on the inside is amazing.

I generally sit outside in the evening to listen to the live music and enjoy the torches. I love being in Hawaii and it makes me feel like I am there.

Once, during the day, my daughter and I decided to sit inside. It was during the month of August and it was really hot inside. We sat at the bar as right when we entered someone was leaving. The bartenders and the guy seated next to us all had sweat dripping down their faces. Every once in a while, the bartender would squirt water around. It was funish and somewhat entertaining, but I prefer outside at night. When we got our check, people immediately hovered over our seats and made a claim to our spots, completely entering our personal space. My adult daughter said it was only fun to go there if we sit outside. She was pretty grossed out.

I generally sit outside in the evening to listen to the live music and enjoy the torches. I love being in Hawaii and it makes me feel like I am there.

Once, during the day, my daughter and I decided to sit inside. It was during the month of August and it was really hot inside. We sat at the bar as right when we entered someone was leaving. The bartenders and the guy seated next to us all had sweat dripping down their faces. Every once in a while, the bartender would squirt water around. It was funish and somewhat entertaining, but I prefer outside at night. When we got our check, people immediately hovered over our seats and made a claim to our spots, completely entering our personal space. My adult daughter said it was only fun to go there if we sit outside. She was pretty grossed out.
I really enjoyed the Hawaii feel outdoors at night in December. I’m afraid to sit inside next trip; don’t want to ruin my positive feeling. 😂

We had a similar experience inside, it was very hot and stuffy. We also felt like we were being watched the whole time, which was kind of unnerving. Outside is a much more relaxing feeling.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!