Trader Sam's Tips?

MARCIAKAZ

Proud to be called Disney Geek by my kids!
Will likely only have the opportunity to go sometime between 3-7 pm, on a Sunday in October. Anyone with experience in this time frame...how long-ish should we expect to wait to get a table - inside? Any other advice?

We found a table inside at 5 pm on MLK day. We were glad because it was cold and windy that day.
Went again a couple of weeks ago and there were no tables outside, so we sat at the outside bar portion. Thankfully it was midday and the sun was out.

I think it's just by luck, but just be prepared that it could be busy

It's really hard to predict. With Galaxy's Edge opening it throws a new dynamic, it could bring larger crowds but it could also keep some of those from venturing over to see Trader Sam. We had a rough 45 minute predicted wait, but were in probably with 30 minutes. Gave us plenty of time to explore the Poly and do some shopping while there. They will text you when there is openings for you.

It's really hard to predict. With Galaxy's Edge opening it throws a new dynamic, it could bring larger crowds but it could also keep some of those from venturing over to see Trader Sam. We had a rough 45 minute predicted wait, but were in probably with 30 minutes. Gave us plenty of time to explore the Poly and do some shopping while there. They will text you when there is openings for you.

Are you talking about WDW? When we were at Trader Sam’s in DLH last week, there was no waiting list. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a waiting list there, but we tend to go during off-peak times. Last week, we walked in at around 3pm and sat at the only open table (4-person table). While we were there (for about an hour), only two 2-person high top tables opened up. One of them ended up with a group 5 that were trying to move to a larger table the entire time we were there. Two groups were waiting for a table inside for almost 45 minutes. But when we walked outside, there was plenty of seating out there. I think it is just luck. The groups that took the two tables that opened up after us just walked in and sat down like we did.

Does a server come and take drink orders from people sitting on the outside deck and/or by the fireplace? I meant to ask but forgot while I was there. I’ve only ever sat inside.

I’ve been dying to check it out the last two years that I’ve stayed at the DLH. Unfortunately I usually am in the park till 10 or 11pm, which only leaves a couple hours before they close, and every night (weekend or weekday) there has always been a 45 to 60 min wait, which has just been too much for me. I’m heading back there for about four nights this October and am REALLY hoping I get a chance to get in there and get a drink and experience the atmosphere :)

If anyone is going to be there Oct 20th - 23rd and plans to hang out there around 10 or 11pm one night and wouldn’t mind a solo traveler joining for a little bit, message me :P

It’s really the perfect mid-afternoon break spot and there’s usually no wait. The vibe is very laid back. SWGE might change things but who knows.

We were there last Tuesday around 6pm and had no wait. There were several open seats at the bar, and we saw two tables turnover during the 45 minutes we were there. This was during a busy week with a convention at DLH, expiring promo tickets, grad nites, and the week leading up to Memorial Day. Its larger than the one at WDW, and has been around longer, so I'm not sure it has the same wait-list popularity that the WDW has one. But I agree that all bets are off with SWGE opening.

Is the one in DL similar to the one at the Poly in WDW in that they will text you when you are good to go in? I find that system at the Poly to be great, especially since that is where I typically stay lol

@kristensideaoffun I've been to both, I'd say early afternoon you stand a better chance, but either of them can fill up for odd unpredictable reasons. Star Wars could be a bit deal or not much an impact. With the new cocktails at SW maybe TS will get some relief.
@DarthGallifrey I can't help out, I went to TS at DL on Monday of Labor Day weekend, I stood inside for maybe 15 minutes and snagged a seat at the bar.

@kristensideaoffun I've been to both, I'd say early afternoon you stand a better chance, but either of them can fill up for odd unpredictable reasons. Star Wars could be a bit deal or not much an impact. With the new cocktails at SW maybe TS will get some relief.
@DarthGallifrey I can't help out, I went to TS at DL on Monday of Labor Day weekend, I stood inside for maybe 15 minutes and snagged a seat at the bar.

With the Orlando one I find that if you can get there right at opening you are usually good and then again at 8 when it becomes no-kids it tends to empty out for a bit

Is the one in DL similar to the one at the Poly in WDW in that they will text you when you are good to go in? I find that system at the Poly to be great, especially since that is where I typically stay lol
If they are at capacity they'll make you wait in line outside until people leave. The only time I had to wait in line was NYE every other time I've been able loiter inside until a seat becomes available. Also it's much smaller than the one at the Poly so large groups will have trouble sitting together, I think the big tables have enough room for 6.

Surprised to hear that it is smaller than the one at the Poly in WDW - I thought that one was small!! SWGE unpredictability aside, it sounds like mid/late afternoon is a fair bet to have a short wait for our group of 4 - thanks for the input!!

Surprised to hear that it is smaller than the one at the Poly in WDW - I thought that one was small!!
Most good tiki bars are not all that huge, on purpose. If they are really using fresh ingredients and not some crappy slop from a bottle, it takes a lot of prep before it opens, or a large crew. Plus, a lot of knowledgeable bartenders are needed to keep up with demand. Plus the one at Disneyland opened first in 2011 so they learned somethings for the one at WDW.

The Undertow in Phoenix, one of the best Tiki bars I've been to, only seats 30. Reservations are for 90 minutes, and there is no food served. But the bartenders are AMAZING with their skills and knowledge of the drinks and the proper way to create them.

If they are at capacity they'll make you wait in line outside until people leave. The only time I had to wait in line was NYE every other time I've been able loiter inside until a seat becomes available. Also it's much smaller than the one at the Poly so large groups will have trouble sitting together, I think the big tables have enough room for 6.
The biggest tables are 4 tops. One time we had 5 in our party and just put a chair at one end.

Is the one in DL similar to the one at the Poly in WDW in that they will text you when you are good to go in?

I've been to both, and as I mentioned up-thread, we were at the DL one last week. There wasn't even a host/hostess to greet us. They were not very busy when we went (6pm on Tuesday), and we were able to walk in and get a seat with no issue. By the time we left, a few were standing but there was still no host or anyone taking names or directing traffic, so to speak.

Wondering how it will be at the end of July. The hubby and I really want to try it out on this trip since it is just the two of us, so no coordinating with anyone else.

@MrsD.Duck just to hard to say, weather and all will play a factor, but a very hot day might drive people inside too. A party of 2 is generally easier to get in then a large party.

We went to Trader Sam's in DL on our last trip. There is no hostess or anyone inside, it's vulture seating. You go in and have to wait for a seat to open and grab it right away. I think there is about a dozen stools at the bar. 6-8 tables with seating for 4 people and 3-4 standing small tables. There was lots of seating outside, with servers, but it's not the same as being inside. We went mid afternoon and waited 20 minutes for a couple folks to leave and got stools at the bar. The table turnover was slow, many people who came in after us waiting quite a while to get a seat. When you sit inside, the bartenders are entertaining, there are 'special effects' when certain drinks are ordered and other 'enchantments' that you don't get outside. I really wish they would have a hostess or waiting list for here though.

We went to Trader Sam's in DL on our last trip. There is no hostess or anyone inside, it's vulture seating. You go in and have to wait for a seat to open and grab it right away. I think there is about a dozen stools at the bar. 6-8 tables with seating for 4 people and 3-4 standing small tables. There was lots of seating outside, with servers, but it's not the same as being inside. We went mid afternoon and waited 20 minutes for a couple folks to leave and got stools at the bar. The table turnover was slow, many people who came in after us waiting quite a while to get a seat. When you sit inside, the bartenders are entertaining, there are 'special effects' when certain drinks are ordered and other 'enchantments' that you don't get outside. I really wish they would have a hostess or waiting list for here though.

What time of year and day of the week? We were there the week leading up to Memorial Day, which was a busy time with the ending of the promotional tickets, people making last minute visits before the craziness of SWGE, and Grad Nites. There was also a convention going on at the Disneyland Hotel. We visited Trader Sam's around 7pm on a Wednesday and walked right in. Got two seats at the bar and there were two empty tables. I was fully expecting it to be packed, and was surprised by it. I thought perhaps it wasn't as popular as the one in WDW, since this one has been around longer.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter