Trader Sam's wait times, help me with a strategy!

Miss Frankie J

Mouseketeer
Hello!

We are planning on visiting Trader Sam's Grog Grotto during our trip in mid September on a Sunday and was curious about wait times. Sunday we will be visiting MK and then hopping over to the poly. Our plan was to get to TSGG as soon as it opened at 4pm for fear of not getting a table or getting in at all but a SDMT FP appeared I have been searching for and unfortunately the FP time is for 4:45 - 5:45.

So these are my choices:
Change SDMT FP to something else that is earlier in the afternoon to get to TSGG by 4
Go to TSGG 4 and try to make it back to SDMT by 5:30 for the FP
Use the FP at 445 and get to TSGG a little after 5 and hope for not a long wait.

We are also more interested in the drinks and I heard you can order the full menu from the outside terrace worst comes to worst but I've never been inside and heard it was a ton of fun. Going to TSGG is the priority over SDMT, but I didn't get to ride it last year so I was hoping to this year.

I'm not sure what I should do, Please help!

Hello!

We are planning on visiting Trader Sam's Grog Grotto during our trip in mid September on a Sunday and was curious about wait times. Sunday we will be visiting MK and then hopping over to the poly. Our plan was to get to TSGG as soon as it opened at 4pm for fear of not getting a table or getting in at all but a SDMT FP appeared I have been searching for and unfortunately the FP time is for 4:45 - 5:45.

So these are my choices:
Change SDMT FP to something else that is earlier in the afternoon to get to TSGG by 4
Use the FP at 445 and get to TSGG a little after 5 and hope for not a long wait.

We are also more interested in the drinks and I heard you can order the full menu from the outside terrace worst comes to worst but I've never been inside and heard it was a ton of fun. Going to TSGG is the priority over SDMT, but I didn't get to ride it last year so I was hoping to this year.

Do you have any plans after Trader Sam's? If not, I would just go as soon as you're done with 7DMT. There will most likely be a wait, but at least you won't be sweating bullets knowing you have to be somewhere else at a specific time. Or, go at 3:15/3:30 pm to be one of the first ones in (if you go at 4 pm, you will most likely have to wait). If you are only getting drinks, you will probably be out by 5 pm and can head over to MK then (you should have a 15 minute grace period at the end of your FP+ window, so you really have until 6 pm to use that FP+). Personally, I would do it after 7DMT so you can have a more leisurely experience even if there is a wait. I have never seen a wait for the outdoor patio, but, IMHO, if you've never been inside, you HAVE to go inside. That's where all the antics and effects are. The outside patio is just an outside patio.

Hello!

So these are my choices:

I would go to Trader Sams BEFORE it opens at 4pm and do the stand by line for Mine Train when you are done. There's a line that will form outside TS around 3:30, and you'll want to get in that ahead of time so you can be one of the first inside. The wait for Mine Train is usually not horrible in the evening and it is a pleasant queue. Trader Sam's is a whole experience itself, and you won't want to feel rushed while in there. We were one of the first people to get in when I went. We ordered a fun drink/appetizer and we were probably out in an hour.

A line forms around 3:30 pm so even getting there right at 4 pm could be dicey. We noticed that from 4-6 pm it was jammed but then calmed down after 6 pm. You can still get a drink and hang around inside but no plan can guarantee a table. Also prepare to sit with others as many tables seat 4 of two are seated you can take the remaining two.

I would recommend keeping your FP and play it by ear on that day. You may have a chance of moving it earlier on the day of and then get to TSGG early. It leaves you a little flexibility and you can always switch it out if nothing else shows up.

Do you have a limit on how late you can stay? We were there (staying at Poly so easily could stay as late as we wanted) in July and had no problems getting in later in the evening on both a Thursday and Friday nights, for a party of 2 and 3. It was late though, like after fireworks both nights. Friday night was the deadest of the 2, oddly enough. Lots of empty tables when went down, no wait at all.
If you can wait it out, I'd keep the FP and stay at MK longer and go to Trader Sam's later. You'll get in eventually. Just check in, put your name on the list, and wait on the patio till you get in. There's live music and you can watch fireworks from there, if you get there before they go off.

Do you have any plans after Trader Sam's? If not, I would just go as soon as you're done with 7DMT. There will most likely be a wait, but at least you won't be sweating bullets knowing you have to be somewhere else at a specific time. Or, go at 3:15/3:30 pm to be one of the first ones in (if you go at 4 pm, you will most likely have to wait). If you are only getting drinks, you will probably be out by 5 pm and can head over to MK then (you should have a 15 minute grace period at the end of your FP+ window, so you really have until 6 pm to use that FP+). Personally, I would do it after 7DMT so you can have a more leisurely experience even if there is a wait. I have never seen a wait for the outdoor patio, but, IMHO, if you've never been inside, you HAVE to go inside. That's where all the antics and effects are. The outside patio is just an outside patio.

No we do not, we have no other plans in MK either. I'm going to keep toying with the time and keep checking to see if I can move it up but even if there is a wait we could order drinks from the terrace outside right? also, could we order food from the outside patio or just drinks? In the end going here is the priority but we are more interested in the drinks than the antics.

I would go to Trader Sams BEFORE it opens at 4pm and do the stand by line for Mine Train when you are done. There's a line that will form outside TS around 3:30, and you'll want to get in that ahead of time so you can be one of the first inside. The wait for Mine Train is usually not horrible in the evening and it is a pleasant queue. Trader Sam's is a whole experience itself, and you won't want to feel rushed while in there. We were one of the first people to get in when I went. We ordered a fun drink/appetizer and we were probably out in an hour.

If we line up is it possible to sit alone just the two of us or are most of the tables for larger groups or parties of 4? SDMT isnt as important and if we need to do stand by we can. If we are going to be sat with people regardless (Which may or may not sway my BF) then showing up early doesn't have much of an advantage to us besides getting in faster with little wait. again, we are only interested in the drinks.

No we do not, we have no other plans in MK either. I'm going to keep toying with the time and keep checking to see if I can move it up but even if there is a wait we could order drinks from the terrace outside right? also, could we order food from the outside patio or just drinks? In the end going here is the priority but we are more interested in the drinks than the antics.

If we line up is it possible to sit alone just the two of us or are most of the tables for larger groups or parties of 4? SDMT isnt as important and if we need to do stand by we can. If we are going to be sat with people regardless (Which may or may not sway my BF) then showing up early doesn't have much of an advantage to us besides getting in faster with little wait. again, we are only interested in the drinks.

Yes, if there is a wait, you can order drinks on the terrace outside! There are a few tables for 2, but very few. They won't seat you, you find seats on your own (if there are any available). They fill the lounge by room capacity and not by how many seats there are, so, it's very possible you could walk in and there is only one seat available at one table and one available at the bar. They actually tell you there is no guarantee of a seat. DS and I once sat at the communal "surf board" in the middle of the room - it was fine!

I'm trying to remember any seats that were just for 2 and I think there was only one place for 2. I agree with PP, chances are they'll send you in and there won't be any seats at all, or seats for just 1. It's an odd arrangement that takes some getting used to. Most of the time, you get called in and seated but this one you get called in and just "let loose" to fend for yourself. It threw us the first time we went in but find it fun now. We enjoy meeting new folks.

But, if it's the drinks you are after, you can have them all outside, food too. It's the exact same menu. The first few times we went we did it outside too. But the antics really do make the location. We didn't get it ourselves, until we went inside.

I'm trying to remember any seats that were just for 2 and I think there was only one place for 2. I agree with PP, chances are they'll send you in and there won't be any seats at all, or seats for just 1. It's an odd arrangement that takes some getting used to. Most of the time, you get called in and seated but this one you get called in and just "let loose" to fend for yourself. It threw us the first time we went in but find it fun now. We enjoy meeting new folks.

But, if it's the drinks you are after, you can have them all outside, food too. It's the exact same menu. The first few times we went we did it outside too. But the antics really do make the location. We didn't get it ourselves, until we went inside.

We also sat with other people in the middle of the place. I found it to be just like sitting at a bar with a bunch of people. We also chatted with a couple that were locals. They were complete opposites of us but we had a good 2 hours of eating and drinking and chatting with them. It was really fun.

Do you have a limit on how late you can stay? We were there (staying at Poly so easily could stay as late as we wanted) in July and had no problems getting in later in the evening on both a Thursday and Friday nights, for a party of 2 and 3. It was late though, like after fireworks both nights. Friday night was the deadest of the 2, oddly enough. Lots of empty tables when went down, no wait at all.
If you can wait it out, I'd keep the FP and stay at MK longer and go to Trader Sam's later. You'll get in eventually. Just check in, put your name on the list, and wait on the patio till you get in. There's live music and you can watch fireworks from there, if you get there before they go off.
Another case of CM contradiction but we were also there in July and when we first arrived there were no seats anywhere so I asked to put my name down for a seat. The CM at the hostess stand said they don’t do that and I would have to just hover and wait for someone to leave. Perhaps they changed it? Or perhaps she was mistaken!

Another case of CM contradiction but we were also there in July and when we first arrived there were no seats anywhere so I asked to put my name down for a seat. The CM at the hostess stand said they don’t do that and I would have to just hover and wait for someone to leave. Perhaps they changed it? Or perhaps she was mistaken!
Both are correct. It's all based on numbers, as in numbers of bodies in the lounge. There's only so many allowed in at one time. It depends on if there is room in the lounge or not. They allow in more than there are seats, so it can be standing room only at times. If there aren't too many people inside and there is room for you to stand and wait, then they won't take your name, they'll let you in. If there isn't room for you to stand inside and wait, they'll take your name and call you in when there is.

Last edited:
I would do my FP and then head over to Trader Sam's. While waiting I would go to Tambu Lounge and pregame.

That's what we did when we stayed at the Poly last trip. The wait was about an hour so we each had two drinks while we waited.
That sounds like the more sane option. that and to continue playing with the FP and bump it up earlier and earlier. I think tambu lounge will be under refurb when I go but I will make the most of it!

Yes, if there is a wait, you can order drinks on the terrace outside! There are a few tables for 2, but very few. They won't seat you, you find seats on your own (if there are any available). They fill the lounge by room capacity and not by how many seats there are, so, it's very possible you could walk in and there is only one seat available at one table and one available at the bar. They actually tell you there is no guarantee of a seat. DS and I once sat at the communal "surf board" in the middle of the room - it was fine!

Ok, I dont think it would be a huge issue to share a table or even just sit at the bar if that is available. We will do out best to get inside but if not I'm glad all the same drinks and food can be ordered outside as well! Also I was able to bump up our FP to 3:40 so its looking better and better.

So I think I will play it by ear and on the day if we want to stay for our FP we will if not we will head out and go to TSGG. Thanks for all the useful info!

We wound up sitting alone as a party of two once, so it can happen. We were at a table with one bench seat along the wall and two chairs opposite and the chairs were taken to another table. We've also sat at the bar, at the big surfboard table, and at a small table with another family - at Trader Sam's I'm not picky. I'm very much not an outgoing person, but I always wind up chatting with strangers here.

If you have no other plans after MK/7DMT, I'd just plan to go to Trader Sam's after. Hang out at the patio or the Tambu if you have to wait to get in. I highly recommend trying the spiky pineapple with a 151 float out on the patio (just make sure to mix it all up well!). It's not available inside.

Trader sams can be a fun, unique place to visit. One option would be to keep your SDMT FP because those can be hard to come by. Maybe plan to hit TS after your FP. What they do is put you on a wait list and will text you when you can go, you have 10 minutes to get back there so you could just check in, take some time poking around the resort and hopefully by 6-6:30 you might have a table. It is a nice resort just to walk around so you could easily pass the time. If you don't want to wait then just sit outside. I think the the earlier times are busy because families can go at this time.

The other option depending upon how late you plan to be up -- you could always go in the evening, watch the fireworks from the poly beach and then go. Maybe check in prior to fireworks? This would give you a little more time at the park.

Just adding... Trader Sams was one of the highlights of our trip this past May. I was keeping it an option on our MK day IF it worked out. Well it was a steamy, rainy day and by 3pm we were all done with it :faint: It was one of those days if we had kept going in the park it probably wouldn't have been a happy memory. We were traveling with our adult children so an adult beverage was the day saving solution. :drinking1As the MK parade was ramping up we high tailed it to the monorail and arrived at Poly at 3:30, first in line at Trader Sams. We were the first in at 4pm and snagged a table and it turned out to be the best decision. We ordered three apps to share (had not eaten since our 10am BOG breakfast) and the waitress brought us ice water while we debated our drinks. So much fun and atmosphere. I think from 4-5 it is rough getting in so you either need to be there at 3:30 or go later.

It really is lots of fun inside! It really is a cool atmosphere, we absolutely love it inside! I would go BEFORE. We get there about 3:30pm when they allow you to give your name. Then we usually get right in around 4pm when it opens. We usually are there for about 45 min to an hour. We usually go in Jan or Feb.

Maybe it’s me but this place was a letdown. It’s an overpriced bar with adults trying to act “cool”. Smelled like a frat bar.

And no just because you overpaid for a drink in a fun glass you are not really that cool. LOL

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter