Trader Sam's wait times, help me with a strategy!

Maybe it’s me but this place was a letdown. It’s an overpriced bar with adults trying to act “cool”. Smelled like a frat bar.

And no just because you overpaid for a drink in a fun glass you are not really that cool. LOL
Cool in what way? I watched a grown man walk a wooden hippo toy and shoot people with water. Hardly cool. Ridiculous is more their schtick.

Both are correct. It's all based on numbers, as in numbers of bodies in the lounge. There's only so many allowed in at one time. It depends on if there is room in the lounge or not. They allow in more than there are seats, so it can be standing room only at times. If there aren't too many people inside and there is room for you to stand and wait, then they won't take your name, they'll let you in. If there isn't room for you to stand inside and wait, they'll take your name and call you in when there is.
Very good to know!

Maybe it’s me but this place was a letdown. It’s an overpriced bar with adults trying to act “cool”. Smelled like a frat bar.

And no just because you overpaid for a drink in a fun glass you are not really that cool. LOL
It's not for everyone. Some people get it. Some don't. Nothing wrong with being in the group that doesn't get it. Nor is it wrong with being in the group that does. The beauty is, it's voluntary to go, or not. :)

Cool in what way? I watched a grown man walk a wooden hippo toy and shoot people with water. Hardly cool. Ridiculous is more their schtick.
Ha, I think we're so ridiculous, we're cool 8-) so maybe that's why we enjoy it so much, :cool1:

My favorite was when someone ordered The Zombie. Luckily, it was also my favorite drink :drinking1

We had so much fun when we went!!! We went as a party of 2 in mid-November around 5pm and were seated right away at the central surfboard bar but it sounds like we got lucky or got in after the first “wave.” You definitely want to be indoors and not on the terrace so you can see all the special effects and antics. I would go after 7DMT because your FP window is only an hour but the bar will be there all night. And if you have you wait a bit, send a runner to get a dole whip from the poly dole whip counter to enjoy while you wait.

I would do my FP and then head over to Trader Sam's. While waiting I would go to Tambu Lounge and pregame.

That's what we did when we stayed at the Poly last trip. The wait was about an hour so we each had two drinks while we waited.

Remember that form now until November, I think Tambu Lounge is closed! You can still order limited items there, but it doesn’t have seating or anything I don’t think!

Remember that form now until November, I think Tambu Lounge is closed! You can still order limited items there, but it doesn’t have seating or anything I don’t think!

I'm going with DD12 in November but we aren't staying at the Poly this trip and have no plans to hit up Trader Sam's. I had no idea though!!! Good info for those thinking about going.

That's why I'd just stay down at Trader's patio area. I don't find that Tambu has anything particularly worth the effort to wander up there anyway. We enjoy watching fireworks and listening to the musician on the patio.

Hello!

We are planning on visiting Trader Sam's Grog Grotto during our trip in mid September on a Sunday and was curious about wait times. Sunday we will be visiting MK and then hopping over to the poly. Our plan was to get to TSGG as soon as it opened at 4pm for fear of not getting a table or getting in at all but a SDMT FP appeared I have been searching for and unfortunately the FP time is for 4:45 - 5:45.

So these are my choices:
Change SDMT FP to something else that is earlier in the afternoon to get to TSGG by 4
Go to TSGG 4 and try to make it back to SDMT by 5:30 for the FP
Use the FP at 445 and get to TSGG a little after 5 and hope for not a long wait.

We are also more interested in the drinks and I heard you can order the full menu from the outside terrace worst comes to worst but I've never been inside and heard it was a ton of fun. Going to TSGG is the priority over SDMT, but I didn't get to ride it last year so I was hoping to this year.

I'm not sure what I should do, Please help!

We've done Trader Sam's both inside and out. The drink shows on the inside are WAY over rated. The atmosphere to us felt like nothing more than an old dark lounge. With umbrellas and fans and fountains on the outside, (which is seat yourself), the atmosphere was much, much more enjoyable and pleasant to us and we've never had a problem finding a seat.

Last edited:
We wound up sitting alone as a party of two once, so it can happen. We were at a table with one bench seat along the wall and two chairs opposite and the chairs were taken to another table. We've also sat at the bar, at the big surfboard table, and at a small table with another family - at Trader Sam's I'm not picky. I'm very much not an outgoing person, but I always wind up chatting with strangers here.

If you have no other plans after MK/7DMT, I'd just plan to go to Trader Sam's after. Hang out at the patio or the Tambu if you have to wait to get in. I highly recommend trying the spiky pineapple with a 151 float out on the patio (just make sure to mix it all up well!). It's not available inside.

That is good to know! I dont mind sitting with other people especially at a bar, but depending on how 'excited' people are sharing a table and staring at them across the way would be weird. lol however I'll be on vacation and just happy to be there.

Trader sams can be a fun, unique place to visit. One option would be to keep your SDMT FP because those can be hard to come by. Maybe plan to hit TS after your FP. What they do is put you on a wait list and will text you when you can go, you have 10 minutes to get back there so you could just check in, take some time poking around the resort and hopefully by 6-6:30 you might have a table. It is a nice resort just to walk around so you could easily pass the time. If you don't want to wait then just sit outside. I think the the earlier times are busy because families can go at this time.

The other option depending upon how late you plan to be up -- you could always go in the evening, watch the fireworks from the poly beach and then go. Maybe check in prior to fireworks? This would give you a little more time at the park.

I think I'm gonna keep the SDMT fastpass especially since i was able to move it up an hour, even if we have to wait the poly is a beautiful resort and he will be happy that we arent in MK lol

Just adding... Trader Sams was one of the highlights of our trip this past May. I was keeping it an option on our MK day IF it worked out. Well it was a steamy, rainy day and by 3pm we were all done with it :faint: It was one of those days if we had kept going in the park it probably wouldn't have been a happy memory. We were traveling with our adult children so an adult beverage was the day saving solution. :drinking1As the MK parade was ramping up we high tailed it to the monorail and arrived at Poly at 3:30, first in line at Trader Sams. We were the first in at 4pm and snagged a table and it turned out to be the best decision. We ordered three apps to share (had not eaten since our 10am BOG breakfast) and the waitress brought us ice water while we debated our drinks. So much fun and atmosphere. I think from 4-5 it is rough getting in so you either need to be there at 3:30 or go later.

Thanks for the advice, I will try and keep playing with the SDMT FP to move it up. 2:30 would be a perfect time and then we can leave with plenty of time to spare.

We had so much fun when we went!!! We went as a party of 2 in mid-November around 5pm and were seated right away at the central surfboard bar but it sounds like we got lucky or got in after the first “wave.” You definitely want to be indoors and not on the terrace so you can see all the special effects and antics. I would go after 7DMT because your FP window is only an hour but the bar will be there all night. And if you have you wait a bit, send a runner to get a dole whip from the poly dole whip counter to enjoy while you wait.

another great idea. this is going to sound blasphemous but in the 20 years of me going to disney as a child to an adult I never had a Dole Whip! I've tried a small amount from my sisters last year but never had my own.

Random question, but can you get to TTC directly from Poly? or is it Poly -> MK -> TTC? I cant remember right now

Random question, but can you get to TTC directly from Poly? or is it Poly -> MK -> TTC? I cant remember right now
Via the monorail? It's MK, CR, TTC, Poly
You can get off at TTC and walk if you want. Or ride on to Poly
or
The express Monorail from MK to TTC and walk to Poly
or
You can boat from MK but it usually stops at GF first
or
Or you can Ferry from MK to TTC and walk to Poly

I stayed at the resort, and people were waiting an hour before it opened. I could have gotten in after it opened though. Night time though I couldn't, always around 45 min wait. Just wasn't worth it for me.

I'll admit it kinda pissed me off that a resort guest spending so much can't have priority, but its ok

Ha, I think we're so ridiculous, we're cool 8-) so maybe that's why we enjoy it so much, :cool1:

My favorite was when someone ordered The Zombie. Luckily, it was also my favorite drink :drinking1
Hey it’s all about confidence and good times! Love Trader Sam’s but have never felt for a second felt uncomfortable or like they were trying to be a hipster bar. It’s cocktails Disney’s way and I appreciate it!!

Via the monorail? It's MK, CR, TTC, Poly
You can get off at TTC and walk if you want. Or ride on to Poly
or
The express Monorail from MK to TTC and walk to Poly
or
You can boat from MK but it usually stops at GF first
or
Or you can Ferry from MK to TTC and walk to Poly

You can walk from the Poly to the TTC.

To clarify, if we go to MK that day we would be parking at TTC because at this point of the trip we will be offsite. so our plan is to visit MK first, then go to poly and TS and then back to the car at TTC. Thank you for listing all the options! I may be lazy and just uber or lyft so we can avoid TTC. :P

I stayed at the resort, and people were waiting an hour before it opened. I could have gotten in after it opened though. Night time though I couldn't, always around 45 min wait. Just wasn't worth it for me.

I'll admit it kinda pissed me off that a resort guest spending so much can't have priority, but its ok

I'm sorry, I own a timeshare and only those people who are paying to stay there/own there can even enter the resort grounds. Only in the last few years I have been venturing to WDW resorts and staying onsite. I mean I'm glad WDW does allow this to give everyone the chance of experiencing great drinks, food, and entertainment at various WDW resorts but I can see how frustrating it could be for those paying to stay at the resort.

To clarify, if we go to MK that day we would be parking at TTC because at this point of the trip we will be offsite. so our plan is to visit MK first, then go to poly and TS and then back to the car at TTC. Thank you for listing all the options! I may be lazy and just uber or lyft so we can avoid TTC. :P.
I'm not sure you realize but Poly and TTC are physically connected. As in share a parking lot. You can walk from TTC to Poly so your plan works just fine. There's isn't really anywhere for you to Uber/Lyft to.

If you really want to sit inside (and who doesn't), you'll probably want to get there early. Last time we were there, we couldn't get in and had to get drinks from the take out window by the pool. Not that it was bad, but it wasn't even close to being the same. If you're indifferent, you can roll the dice, but there will almost certainly be a wait.

I'm not sure you realize but Poly and TTC are physically connected. As in share a parking lot. You can walk from TTC to Poly so your plan works just fine. There's isn't really anywhere for you to Uber/Lyft to.

I meant uber/lyft from my offsite resort to MK to avoid TCC. Not Uber/lyft from TTC to poly lol.

EDIT: Staying offsite and going through TTC to MK is easily the WORST part of visiting MK. we do it obviously but since we have to pay for parking anyway I was thinking about being lazy and using Uber/lyft to go straight to MK. Getting from the poly to TTC wont be an issue at all with the info you just gave me.

Last edited:
If you really want to sit inside (and who doesn't), you'll probably want to get there early. Last time we were there, we couldn't get in and had to get drinks from the take out window by the pool. Not that it was bad, but it wasn't even close to being the same. If you're indifferent, you can roll the dice, but there will almost certainly be a wait.

Thank you for the tip! We are chill people, so we will do our best to get inside and get there early but if we can't its the drinks my BF is after. We have a list of Cocktails at various WDW locations to try and our goal is to try them all! Getting inside TS would be a bonus to our cocktail adventure, but getting in wont ruin anything for us.

You don't have to go to the window by the pool. There is a patio outside of Trader Sam's too. Though not everyone is aware as it's very hidden and not near the entrance to the indoor area.

I meant uber/lyft from my offsite resort to MK to avoid TCC. Not Uber/lyft from TTC to poly lol.

EDIT: Staying offsite and going through TTC to MK is easily the WORST part of visiting MK. we do it obviously but since we have to pay for parking anyway I was thinking about being lazy and using Uber/lyft to go straight to MK. Getting from the poly to TTC wont be an issue at all with the info you just gave me.

You can't Uber/Lyft straight to MK. You end up at TTC, just in case you weren't aware.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter