Trader Sam's

We were there yesterday for lunch. Arrived ~1230pm with 9yo and we got the last table inside. It was fun still at lunch but a very limited menu and not much of 'regular' kid food so picky eaters might have a tough time.

Yeah HHG mugs releases were a bit bananas, with the crazy long line up and not a normal purchasing process. Or at least it was the day we got our mugs at the DL location.

The larger low tables only usually have 4 chairs at them. Sounds like you would need to break up into two tables or sit outside where the tables can easily fit 6 ppl around them.
Or maybe do 3 and 3 at adjacent “high-rise” tables.

We've never done Trader Sams, and now I want to so badly! But we'll be a group of 10 (4 adults, 6 kids) and probably not going to work out for us. Definitely added to the reasons why I need a sister trip someday though!

As a non-drinker I have run into this and they will not sell the mug without the pour of whatever signature drink belongs in it. They will not do it, even if you pay. I wanted a Nautilus really badly (this was at WDW) and would have gladly paid full price for the drink, but they said they had to pour it. He said I don't have to drink it, but they have to serve it. They could not substitute. I assume this has something to do with keeping the inventory squared away. Anyway, I told the waiter to ask a table across the way if they wanted to drink a Nautilus for me. They did. They waved me over and we had a fun night. I got my Nautilus to take home. In DL, I bought a drink for the person next to me. Still, they had to pour it.

Anyway, one of the mocktails comes in a pretty cool sipper, though it is plastic. I just want everyone to know that they are pretty strict about this.

And when is your next trip?....

I'd take one for the team and drink your drink for you :)

And when is your next trip?....

I'd take one for the team and drink your drink for you :)

March 1 - Two weeks! And I am going to Trader Sam's on arrival day. I'll have a friend with me who can drink my share though, but if you're there you can drop in to say hi! I might need more mugs anyway. :)

March 1 - Two weeks! And I am going to Trader Sam's on arrival day. I'll have a friend with me who can drink my share though, but if you're there you can drop in to say hi! I might need more mugs anyway. :)

Wow we're actually pretty close, March 6.

I went to Trader Sams for the first time on MLK day. We got there around 5:30 and found a table inside without a problem. One of my friends who has been there said that's not normal because it is usually difficult finding a spot. But I feel like that particular day in general, the parks weren't really crowded, so that may be the reason why the restaurant wasn't packed. I thought that the restaurant in general was very tiny. If I scooted my chair back, I would hit the person behind me, and vice versa.

The drinks were yummy, but pricey! I had piranha pool! The waitress said all of their souvenir mugs were all sold out (we didn't want one, so we were ok with that). So if you are wanting one, be sure to ask prior to ordering.

I can't wait to go to Trader Sam's for the first time in April. I just can't wrap my brain around the idea of $60 for a souvenir mug (not including the drink price, I assume) when a pair of Lenox crystal champagne flutes costs $60 on clearance, marked down from $100. I would imagine that these mugs are ceramic. I just can't do it.

I can't wait to go to Trader Sam's for the first time in April. I just can't wrap my brain around the idea of $60 for a souvenir mug (not including the drink price, I assume) when a pair of Lenox crystal champagne flutes costs $60 on clearance, marked down from $100. I would imagine that these mugs are ceramic. I just can't do it.
You don’t have to buy the mugs if you don’t want to but don’t be surprised that the drinks themselves are pretty pricey too. The mug price does include the drink. Most of the mugs are in the $30-$40 dollar range. The ones that are $50+ are the massive bowls for 3 people to share. Maybe it’s because I have worked with ceramics over the years so I can appreciate how much hard work goes into the design and construction of the mugs but the prices do not seem high to me. They are on par compared to other artist’s handcrafted ceramics, or to take home ceramic mugs from other tiki bars around the world. It’s also not expensive compared to say a Dooney and Bourke purse- which is just to say we all have our own Disney things that make us happy & we think are worth spending money on that others don’t get at all. Personally, our mug collection is more than just a collection- we have tiki themed parties at home with our friends & use our mugs far far more often than any of the fine crystal.

You don’t have to buy the mugs if you don’t want to but don’t be surprised that the drinks themselves are pretty pricey too. The mug price does include the drink. Most of the mugs are in the $30-$40 dollar range. The ones that are $50+ are the massive bowls for 3 people to share. Maybe it’s because I have worked with ceramics over the years so I can appreciate how much hard work goes into the design and construction of the mugs but the prices do not seem high to me. They are on par compared to other artist’s handcrafted ceramics, or to take home ceramic mugs from other tiki bars around the world. It’s also not expensive compared to say a Dooney and Bourke purse- which is just to say we all have our own Disney things that make us happy & we think are worth spending money on that others don’t get at all. Personally, our mug collection is more than just a collection- we have tiki themed parties at home with our friends & use our mugs far far more often than any of the fine crystal.
I had no idea that these mugs are handcrafted.

I understand being a collector and loving something enough to spend the money. I love my Fiestaware dishes and love collecting the different colors. We enjoy using them daily. I will spend money on high quality items if they appeal to me.

My comments were not meant to insult any collectors. It was more about my assumption that the mugs would cost no more than $25 and my surprise that they cost $60.

I had no idea that these mugs are handcrafted.

I understand being a collector and loving something enough to spend the money. I love my Fiestaware dishes and love collecting the different colors. We enjoy using them daily. I will spend money on high quality items if they appeal to me.

My comments were not meant to insult any collectors. It was more about my assumption that the mugs would cost no more than $25 and my surprise that they cost $60.
They aren't what I would consider hand-crafted. They are mass produced by TikiFarm. They are getting the prices they are because Disney and collectors..like me... who have to have EVERY LAST ONE....

They aren't what I would consider hand-crafted. They are mass produced by TikiFarm. They are getting the prices they are because Disney and collectors..like me... who have to have EVERY LAST ONE....

Right. They are mass-produced, but the original designs are hand sculpted by fine tiki-artisans. They are very intricate. I find them worthwhile.

Just a warning to you, if you want to buy a mug, they have to pour the drink. I have had others drink my order so I could keep the mug (they actually don't give you the mug they serve it in - you get a new-in-box one). Anyway, you can always just not drink it or whatever. I've met some nice folks by buying them a drink though!
I bought a mug last Saturday and paid full price but told them they didn’t need to make the drink and they didn’t. I ordered at the new outdoor “to go” counter.

Could someone tell me what is in the Old Kungaloosh? And are there any other off menu drinks for my rum loving husband I should know about?

Old Kungaloosh Recipe — Circa 1997

1 1/4 ounce vodka
1 1/4 ounce Malibu Rum
3/4 ounce Midori (melon liqueur)
2 tablespoons pineapple juice
1 splash cranberry juice

Mix well.

New Kungaloosh Recipe — since 2000 or so

1 cup Daily's Strawberry Daiquiri Mix
1/4 cup orange juice
1/4 cup Captain Morgan's Spiced Rum
1/4 cup blackberry brandy

I bought a mug last Saturday and paid full price but told them they didn’t need to make the drink and they didn’t. I ordered at the new outdoor “to go” counter.

That's good to know. It seems that if there is a policy it is enforced inconsistently. I'll have a friend with me this time, so he can drink all my alcohol, but when I am solo, I may have to ask again.

Thanks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter