Trading Pins from Ebay

DaveStroem

DIS Veteran
I just got some trading pins off of Ebay. They all have Disney Copyrights cast in the back, but I feel that some of them if not all of them might be not quite legitimate.

I have one that is limited edition of 175 but when I looked at pinpics.com they mentioned that there are a lot of "scrappers" of this pin that have been imported from China. One person over there stated that on a recent trip, he saw over 30 of this "L/E of 175" pin on CM lanyards.

From what I have been able to learn, these scrappers are from the same source as the legit pins come from but are over runs or 2nds.

My question is, should I file a claim with Ebay?

Should I return the pins and request a refund?

Should I just not worry about it and let my girls trade the pins?

When I purchased the pins, I was not aware that there was a black-market of Disney pins. I do not intend to collect pins for resale. I just thought this would be something fun for my girls to do on their first trip. I worry that some CM will tell them that their pins are fake and not trade with them causing a scene and for my girls to become upset.

TIA Dave

I think it would be very hard to prove the pin was a scrapper and since you just want to trade in the parks, then I wouldn't do a SNAD. I wouldn't even know who you could get to authenticate the pin.

I would go ahead and trade it at the parks.

We bought some off ebay. Now that I have done some research, I am pretty certain that they are scrappers. I too just wanted some pins for my dd to trade with CMs. There are certain lanyard colors that only trade with children, but I can't recall right now.

If you go to the collectors board waaaay down at the bottom, there is a thread about pins. I am sure that someone could answer your question there.

PLEASE return the pins and file a report with ebay. We bought some off ebay last year and they were VERY convincing fakes, but fakes none the less. I returned them, filed a claim with ebay and contacted Disney legal. I spoke with 2 different agents from Disney legal and they are continuing litigation with this particular seller.

Bottom line, Disney pin trading is SO awesome, and trading fake pins hurts EVERYONE! If you are fairly certain they are scrappers, they more than likely are. My family and I are very experienced pin traders (even taught CM's @ WDW how to spot the HUGE amount of fake pins, they were amazed) and HATE having to look at pins before we trade. Our last trip, we saw no less than 2 fake pins on cm's lanyards.

Do the right thing, send them back, file a claim and contact Disney. It will take everyone working together to get the fakes out of the parks!!! Sorry, I'm passionate about a few bad apples ruining one of our families favorite pastimes!

Eek! Now I'm afraid of buying off Ebay! I really wanted to get some good pins to get started on my trip...but now I'm not so sure.... :eek:

Anyway to tell how legit a seller would be before actually receiving the merchandise??? :scared:

Sorry, I'm passionate about a few bad apples ruining one of our families favorite pastimes!

Funny you should say that. The Stitch pirate pin that says "bad apple" is the one that I was talking about.

I don't know for sure if these are scrappers, but I would assume if they are from a bulk purchase that they are. My real question is how to tell the difference?

From what I have read. It seems that the scrappers in many cases are 100% the same pins as the ones that you purchase onsite. In some cases the scrappers are not as glossy. There are also from what I have been reading, counterfeit pins that are not the same as the pins that are sold onsite. These might have different colors or be silver instead of gold.

Eek! Now I'm afraid of buying off Ebay! I really wanted to get some good pins to get started on my trip...but now I'm not so sure.... :eek:

Anyway to tell how legit a seller would be before actually receiving the merchandise??? :scared:

The seller I bought them from was a powerseller with 99% positive feedback with over 3,000 reviews. Problem is, people don't know they're fake so they're happy as clams.

The easiest way for me to tell (may be harder for novice traders) is the weight and color. The fakes are lighter than authentic pins and the sides of the pin are not glossy (hard to explain). The edges are also somewhat dull and not as smooth. If you know you have a genuine Disney pin, put it in one hand and the fake in the other, you will easily tell that way (by weight).

Here is what I would look for. Does or has this person sold many many lots of pins? If so, where do you think they're getting these pins? And why are they selling them SO much lower than others? Basically, if it looks too good to be true, it is. Old cliche' but true. Believe me, Disney is actively pursuing these sellers, although it takes SO much time to work its way through the very complicated and massive Disney legal group. You can find pins cheaper on ebay, but they are from smaller volume sellers that show you the actual pins you're getting. Best bet, buy them at the parks and trade for other quality pins.
Imagine how you or your kids would feel if you spent money on authentic and quality Disney pins and traded them for scrap. That's what really aggravates me. And people (and CM;s) don't know any better a lot of the time. Hope that helps

At one point, I use to love pin trading until (1) So many pins starting coming out and there where just too many to collect because of cost $$$$$ (2) The scrappers that where being found started right after I stopped collecting so it was another strike against it.

The true "Disney" pin collector will be able to tell almost immediately if your pin is a scrapper or not. Many true "Disney" pin collectors also will not trade unless your have the pin backing containing the price and sku number. Is this always the case? No, Its up to each pin collector to make their own decision, but there are a good handful who will not trade without the pin backing. People selling LE pins for 99 cents when they where $15.95 within the parks is usually a good sign its a scrapper. Although, Cast members receive discounts they don't receive that much of a discount. Oh btw, Cast member exclusive type pins which are those 175 edition size usually go for a lot more money on ebay. They don't typically go for cheap money as a trader since they are usually highly sought after. Many cast members will trade with other pin collectors from the other parks (i.e. Walt Disney World, Disneyland, Tokyo Disneyland, Hong Kong Disneyland, Euro/Paris Disney), although typically all cast members can order the pins usually through their internal web page for cast members.

Most cast members will probably trade their pins still with you, especially if they are not that savvy in pin collecting. Unfortunatley, Then that scrapper may go to another unsuspecting pin trader.

I feel conflicted. I have bought pins numerous times on line for my kids to trade. I only allow them to trade with CastMembers and they have never had a problem. Though this time, a cast member did take one of my son's pins because it was "missing eyelashes" and she gave him another pin in its place. But I don't even think hat was one I bought, it was one he traded for.

I can't afford to pay the high bucks they want in the stores, but my kids really enjoy trading. I have always checked the backs of the pins when we buy them and they always look legit to me.

I just contacted the seller requesting documentation as to the authenticity of the pins I purchased. (yeah like that is going to happen) I informed her that I believed that the pins she sold me were scrappers. I told her that if she could not provide me with documentation that she will refund my $$$ and I will throw out these sCRAPper pins or else report her to Ebay and to Disney Legal.

PLEASE return the pins and file a report with ebay. We bought some off ebay last year and they were VERY convincing fakes, but fakes none the less. I returned them, filed a claim with ebay and contacted Disney legal. I spoke with 2 different agents from Disney legal and they are continuing litigation with this particular seller.

Bottom line, Disney pin trading is SO awesome, and trading fake pins hurts EVERYONE! If you are fairly certain they are scrappers, they more than likely are. My family and I are very experienced pin traders (even taught CM's @ WDW how to spot the HUGE amount of fake pins, they were amazed) and HATE having to look at pins before we trade. Our last trip, we saw no less than 2 fake pins on cm's lanyards.

Do the right thing, send them back, file a claim and contact Disney. It will take everyone working together to get the fakes out of the parks!!! Sorry, I'm passionate about a few bad apples ruining one of our families favorite pastimes!

I am normally very against fakes/counterfeits being resold/gifted/traded way, but in the cases of clothing and purses, there are people that can authenticate these items. Who authenticates Disney pins?

Also, since many of these pins are being made by authorized factories, it is very hard to tell the difference between good pins and scrappers. An older gold tone backing might appear silver, and how does the average buyer know about the exact placement of the official disney copyright stamp?

I just think that unlike other counterfeited products, Disney scrapper pins fall into a grey area and will be very hard to avoid get some at some point during trading.

I feel conflicted. I have bought pins numerous times on line for my kids to trade. I only allow them to trade with CastMembers and they have never had a problem. Though this time, a cast member did take one of my son's pins because it was "missing eyelashes" and she gave him another pin in its place. But I don't even think hat was one I bought, it was one he traded for.

I can't afford to pay the high bucks they want in the stores, but my kids really enjoy trading. I have always checked the backs of the pins when we buy them and they always look legit to me.

Pin trading is not an inexpensive venture. Im not suggesting that the ones you bought are fake, but if you're buying them for significantly less than in the parks they are probably not authentic.

Just don't let the cost of this hobby drive your decision to make the right choice. Buying fake pins and trading them into the system for others that paid for the authentic pins hurts everyone!

Unfortunately, I just pulled out all of the pins I bought my girls for their first visit (purchased from ebay) and I realize that they are counterfeit. When I first got them, I thought they seemed cheap but didn't pursue it.

The only reason I went to ebay to buy them is because I went to the Disney store asking if they had any and the employee told me to go on ebay...that I could save a lot of money getting them there instead.

I guess if it's too good to be true, it is! Do I bother to contact the seller or just throw them out?

I would make every attempt to contact the seller regarding the pins you purchased, and if need be I am sure you can send a message to Ebay and Disney legal regarding the matter, and also include the sellers Ebay screen name and any other information they may ask for. The seller could very well have documentation such as a pin backing, receipt, etc so you may want to message them first. You will probably find out pretty quickly whether or not your pin is a scrapper, unless you have already researched it and found out.

This is the one that set me off on this
http://www.pinpics.com/cgi-bin/pin.cgi?pin=58347

I have tried to look up others but there are so many that my eyes are going fuzzy.

I still don't know what I will do. My girls are excited about trading pins but I can not afford to pay over $6 each for pins. Especially if they end up trading for other scrappers.

My current leaning is to let them trade for pins that they like and not to worry if any of them are legit. I don't ever intend to resell them and am definitely not looking at them as investment collectibles.

Ignorance is bliss, knowledge not so much.

So I requested documentation from the seller and his response: He wants ME to provide documentation showing that the pins are not authentic. :thumbsup2

ttbell said:
So I requested documentation from the seller and his response: He wants ME to provide documentation showing that the pins are not authentic. :thumbsup2

Well, That makes things easy regarding whether they are a trusted seller or not. I have traded pins just recently to another senior pin collector, and they asked me if I had the pin backings or receipts. Now, I hadn't collected pins since back in 2002 arena, and I was a little bit shocked by this question/request. Luckily, I had all the pin backings still and the receipts from all my purchases. It was easy enough for me to scan the receipts and remove things like my credit card info that maybe left on it, and having the pin backings just closed the deal. Most will only ask for pin backings! Remember these senior pin collectors see it as a serious hobby and investment so that is why pin backings are usually requested. If this seller cannot even provide you this then you know what you have possibly received.

If you have any trouble getting the ebay seller to contact you back, and you paid through paypal, you can get your money back through them. Just contact paypal and let them know that the pins are authentic pins. Also threaten them with giving them negative feedback. Some sellers aren't paying much attention to it anymore, but some still are. The way they have it set up, you can give a seller a negative, but the seller can't give you one. Then you can offer to send the pins to Disney legal for them to help the case against the ebay seller. I would contact ebay and Disney legal about this person. I am sure Disney has someone that can authenticate the pins, and having the actual pins will help the case. This person is not only bad for Disney pin trading, but for the honest ebay sellers (like my mom).

What exactly is a pin backing? Is it the plastic piece the pin is attached to when you buy?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter