Traffic coming from San Diego...

DisBuckMan

DIS Veteran
We are flying in to San Diego on a Saturday night in May. We have 4 days planned at Disneyland, and also plan to do the San Diego Zoo one day and the Safari Park one day. We are flying back out of San Diego early on the following Saturday morning. We are renting a car.

Right now, we have the option of doing Disneyland Su/M/Tu/W, or M/Tu/W/Th.

With plan #1, we would get a hotel about halfway between San Diego and Anaheim, and drive to Disneyland first thing Sunday morning. Then, leave early Thursday morning and hit the Safari Park on the way back to San Diego, with the Zoo on Friday.

Plan #2 would mean doing the Zoo on Sunday, then driving up to Disneyland first thing Monday morning, then doing the Safari Park on Friday after leaving Disneyland early that morning.

From a traffic standpoint, what is the best option? I would guess it would be doing Disneyland beginning on Sunday, since I'm think Sunday morning traffic isn't nearly as bad as Monday morning.

But, I would like advice from experienced Disneyland left-coasters who are much more familiar with this than I am. How bad is the traffic on that end of town, and what is my best option?

From a crowd standpoint, I'm guessing M-Th is better at Disneyland?

When in May?

I would not sty in a hotel halfway between San Diego and Anaheim. Stay in Anaheim. I live about halfway between both cities and it's 45 minutes without traffic to get DL, which means I need to allocate 1.5 hours to drive up, park and get to the parks. If there is a traffic you will be in a world of hurt. It will be much nicer to stay in Anaheim (walking distance to the parks so you don't have to deal with the hassle of parking).

In general weekend mornings are less traffic (although an accident can throw that off). Friday mornings are frequently light traffic (we call it "Friday light") although not always.

I would do safari park Sunday and then leave Sunday night and get a hotel in Anaheim, no need to get one halfway...the drive is most likely less than two hours. I would then spend the rest of your time at Disneyland and skip the zoo. This is just my opinion but I find the SD zoo very depressing, the safari park is amazing, open enclosures, the animals are interacting, the spaces are wide open. The zoo is cramped and hot and the animals looks miserable. Save the money from the zoo and spring for a special “safari” at the safari park. The jungle ropes one is so fun and if you can spring for it the caravan safari is amazing, you get to feed rhinos and giraffes!!!!!
Then you head back to San Diego early Saturday morning, there will be no traffic in the early morning

Agree with @SOCALMouseMommy that staying in Anaheim would make more sense and that traffic should be lighter on weekend mornings. As for less crowded days in the parks, crowds are hard to avoid, but keep in mind that there is a SoCal ticket special ending toward the end of May, so during the week you will have many unblocked AP holders, as well as people using those SoCal tickets. We encountered that this last May and it took us by surprise. So I'd look at AP blackout dates, as well as those special ticket dates. In the park on a Sunday may be a better thing.

We always spend about half a week at DLR and half a week in the San Diego area. It is only about an hour and a half between DLR and San Diego. I would either:

1. just drive up to Anaheim when you arrive on Saturday night, and then you can get settled in your hotel and get an earlier start at Disneyland Sunday Morning. I don't think there will be much traffic to deal with that Saturday night.

or

2. Do Safari Park (we love Safari Park) Sunday, and then Sunday night drive up to Anaheim and get a hotel and then get an early start at Disneyland on Monday.

What the crowd is like at Disneyland is going to depend on when in May you are talking about. Memorial Day weekend? Probably crowded. Other weekends-- it may depend on whether the APs are blocked. When the passes are blocked on the weekend it is really nice crowd wise. We have been the first week in June several times and Saturday and Sunday are often less crowded than Monday and Tuesday when the APs are open on weekdays and they are trying to get those last days in before being blocked for the summer.

If you drive to DLR Sunday night you may find yourself in a little more traffic as you have the weekenders heading back to LA-- but in our experience it is not horrible. We typically are driving back to John Wayne Airport on Sunday from San Diego because we usually fly in and out of that airport. We often travel to San Diego from DLR on weekdays- but we do try to avoid the evening rush hour when we do that.

If it were us- I think we would drive straight to Anaheim after getting off the plane to start our DLR days early on Sunday and then move to the San Diego area for the rest of the week.

Also, be aware that the San Diego Safari Park is not actually in San Diego. That can catch some people by surprise. It is about a 40 minute drive from San Diego.

Appreciate the responses thus far. Some responses....

Our flight into San Diego isn't scheduled to arrive until 11pm from Atlanta. Could be later...could be earlier. If earlier, it won't be by much, but later is obviously an open-ended question mark. That's why we've discussed staying somewhere along the way. Maybe somewhere like Carlsbad? If we decided to do the Safari Park on Sunday, then maybe somewhere around Escondido? Are these safe areas?

We are flying in on the 19th of May and out on the 26th.

As with our flight arriving very late on the 19th, our flight is leaving very early on the 26th...6am. So, leaving Anaheim that morning and driving down to catch that flight isn't happening.

Sunday might be the only chance to see Fireworks. Nightly fireworks didn't start until the Friday of Memprial Day weekend last year, but you won't know if they are doing nightly Pixar fireworks until early April.

Otherwise, I agree the best thing would be hotel in Carlsbad on St. night and then Safari park on Sunday (it's RIGHT there), then head to DL. You would probably be in Disney in time for dinner at DTD or one of the resort hotels.

I see your point @DisBuckMan about not driving all the way to Anaheim. Carlsbad makes sense.
I live in San Diego, and I'd do your plan #1, starting the vacation in Anaheim and finishing in San Diego. It will be a busy time in the parks, so be sure to make any dining reservations you need and avail yourselves of the Maxpass, if possible.
And have a great vacation!

Appreciate the responses thus far. Some responses....

Our flight into San Diego isn't scheduled to arrive until 11pm from Atlanta. Could be later...could be earlier. If earlier, it won't be by much, but later is obviously an open-ended question mark. That's why we've discussed staying somewhere along the way. Maybe somewhere like Carlsbad? If we decided to do the Safari Park on Sunday, then maybe somewhere around Escondido?

We are flying in on the 19th of May and out on the 26th.

As with our flight arriving very late on the 19th, our flight is leaving very early on the 26th...6am. So, leaving Anaheim that morning and driving down to catch that flight isn't happening.

With your dates I would absolutely start in San Diego and end with Disneyland. The last day to use the SoCal ticket special is 5/21 and last year the days leading up to that final day were insane in the parks so I would start your park days on 5/22.

Escondido and Carlsbad are perfectly safe places to stay. If you need a central base to visit both the zoo and the Safari Park on consecutive days you might consider Encinitas or Solana Beach.

Last edited:
I stand corrected. @SOCALMouseMommy has the much better idea. I was confused about your being able to avoid those SoCal tix with your available dates. It is a very real consideration.

Oh...edit. Look again. I think the last date to use the tickets is May 24, the last date of purchase is May 21.

Last edited:
Thanks, folks. It doesn't look like we'll be able to dodge the SoCal crowds as much as we'd like. It looks like doing the Safari Park on Sunday, then heading up to DLR and hitting the parks M-Th is our best plan.

How is Sea World compared to the Zoo for that Friday? I haven't been to the San Diego Zoo since 2001, and Sea World San Diego since 1999. The Zoo was nice back then...assuming it has gone downhill?

Thanks, folks. It doesn't look like we'll be able to dodge the SoCal crowds as much as we'd like. It looks like doing the Safari Park on Sunday, then heading up to DLR and hitting the parks M-Th is our best plan.

How is Sea World compared to the Zoo for that Friday? I haven't been to the San Diego Zoo since 2001, and Sea World San Diego since 1999. The Zoo was nice back then...assuming it has gone downhill?

Are you asking if the zoo has gone downhill in almost 20 years or maybe you're joking?? If it's a serious question, the zoo has only gotten better ;)

The Zoo is great. It may have even improved from what you remember. We have Sea World passes, so we go there a lot. It's a toss-up. Maybe depends on energy levels and interest by that time in your trip. I think the zoo is more strenuous -- lots of hills to walk and it feels hotter. Sea World is very "chill." We go there to wander around, just enjoy the environment by the water.

Are you asking if the zoo has gone downhill in almost 20 years or maybe you're joking?? If it's a serious question, the zoo has only gotten better ;)

It was a serious question. One of the responses above made me think the zoo might have slipped a little.

We are definitely doing the Safari Park. We are up in the air between the Zoo and Sea World for that Friday. Advice is much appreciated.

When in May?

I would not sty in a hotel halfway between San Diego and Anaheim. Stay in Anaheim. I live about halfway between both cities and it's 45 minutes without traffic to get DL, which means I need to allocate 1.5 hours to drive up, park and get to the parks. If there is a traffic you will be in a world of hurt. It will be much nicer to stay in Anaheim (walking distance to the parks so you don't have to deal with the hassle of parking).

In general weekend mornings are less traffic (although an accident can throw that off). Friday mornings are frequently light traffic (we call it "Friday light") although not always.
I totally agree with this advice.

Especially since your flight into San Diego arrives at 11 pm local time, even assuming that there are no flight arrival delays for your flight, you won't get out of the airport with your rental car on your way until 11:30 pm or midnight at the latest (if luggage delivery to baggage claim is slow).

Also, staying halfway between San Diego and Anaheim is NOT going to do you any favors on the weekdays that you'll be going to Disneyland. You'll be dealing with trying to get to Disneyland during rush hour traffic. That is really not much fun.

You are far better off stay in San Diego first and heading up to Anaheim on Sunday evening. Check into your Anaheim hotel Sunday evening and then go to Disneyland on Mon, Tues, Wed, Thurs. Maybe even stay at the Anaheim hotel through Thursday night. Sleep in on Friday morning, check out of Anaheim, drive to either the San Diego Zoo or the safari park. Then a San Diego area hotel on Friday night and head out to the airport on Saturday.

Agree with @SOCALMouseMommy that staying in Anaheim would make more sense and that traffic should be lighter on weekend mornings. As for less crowded days in the parks, crowds are hard to avoid, but keep in mind that there is a SoCal ticket special ending toward the end of May, so during the week you will have many unblocked AP holders, as well as people using those SoCal tickets. We encountered that this last May and it took us by surprise. So I'd look at AP blackout dates, as well as those special ticket dates. In the park on a Sunday may be a better thing.

Same thing happened to us last May. Thought I had done such a good job planning. Didnt know about the special ticket ending that week until it was too late! Great info

It was a serious question. One of the responses above made me think the zoo might have slipped a little.

We are definitely doing the Safari Park. We are up in the air between the Zoo and Sea World for that Friday. Advice is much appreciated.

It’s not that it is has gone downhill it’s just that compared to the open enclosures and “natural” habitats of the safari park, I’ve always left the zoo feeling depressed for the animals. Just my opinion.
Sea world is a great time, a couple of good rides, great shows and if you get there right when it opens, usually 9 or 10, it’s pretty empty. I think safari park and sea world are excellent choices. I think AAA has discounted tickets to sea world too
Fun hotels by sea world too and a cute boardwalk/ amusement park right on the beach

I like both the San Diego zoo and the San Diego Zoo Safari park, but prefer the Safari Park for its uniqueness. They are both zoos, though. If you are set on the Safari Park it might be fun to do Sea World on your other day to get a totally different experience.

If you go to the parks May 21 I highly recommend you get any table service reservations you might want as early as possinle and just mentally prepare that it might be very crowded that day.

If you go to the parks May 21 I highly recommend you get any table service reservations you might want as early as possinle and just mentally prepare that it might be very crowded that day.

Thanks. Unfortunately, as someone mentioned above, the 21st is simply the last day to buy that pass, and the 24th is the last day to use it. So, we'll be there the entire time it's in effect, looks like. Oh well...we'll have a good time regardless. At least during the day the local kids should still be in school and folks will be at work for the most part.

if its weekend, your fine, no problems...
avoid afternoon traffic... i went from SD-->Disneyland, it took over 5 hours to drive back.

note: i was alone(no carpool lane) and i think it was a friday. usually the 5 is the way but it was so jammed up, my waze told me to take the 15.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter