Train from Union Station to Pearson Airport

tinkerone

DIS Veteran
I'm looking for information about how the train system works in Toronto to get you from Union Station to the airport. We are looking at possibly using this system for a trip in Feb. but as there will be lots of luggage and a three year old I'm wondering how difficult it could get. The plan is to spend a night at the airport hotel, I think its the Sheraton.
Anyone with experience?

No experience with it, but I am also interested. We can take the train to Montreal or Toronto for basically the same amount, Montreal looks really easy to get from train station to airport, Toronto seems to be harder. I do know Union station is huge (to me any way), having taken the train there a couple times. But we were just going to Toronto then for short trips. You can book it through Via Rail though, as like a package I guess? Train trip plus however they get you to the airport.

The Up Express(the airport train) is a nice ride. Pretty easy to get to/from. I have seen plenty of people with a suitcase or two without an issue. I haven't taken the train into the airport directly but I would assume it is pretty simple. It is a fairly quick and nice ride.

Me me ME! I have lots of experience riding the UP and I'd be happy to answer any questions you might have. We've also stayed at the Sheraton Gateway (the one that's basically IN terminal 3) and i can answer *most* about that as well.
UP Express

• Depending on where you're coming from it's a tad difficult to find the actual platform due to all the ongoing construction but there are signs to follow -- it's a Looong way from the station proper
  • if you find yourself confused you can also look for signs headed to the CN Tower and the dome since they are the same direction
  • There are many many many levels to the station and since it was built before elevators were so prevalent it's REALLY hard to find those but they do exsist, look for them!
  • The cars themselves are great, have a TON of baggage storage, free wifi, washrooms, and lots of relatively comfy seats
  • The trip from Union is about 30 minutes
  • You can buy the tickets online or at the station for $25.70 for your family
  • You won't have any trouble getting on & off the train with both your child and your luggage since it is a level platform.
  • There are lots of signs once you get to Pearson and to get to the Sheraton you'll need to get onto the Link Train (the fake monorail!) and ride to terminal 3

Me me ME! I have lots of experience riding the UP and I'd be happy to answer any questions you might have. We've also stayed at the Sheraton Gateway (the one that's basically IN terminal 3) and i can answer *most* about that as well.
UP Express

• Depending on where you're coming from it's a tad difficult to find the actual platform due to all the ongoing construction but there are signs to follow -- it's a Looong way from the station proper
  • if you find yourself confused you can also look for signs headed to the CN Tower and the dome since they are the same direction
  • There are many many many levels to the station and since it was built before elevators were so prevalent it's REALLY hard to find those but they do exsist, look for them!
  • The cars themselves are great, have a TON of baggage storage, free wifi, washrooms, and lots of relatively comfy seats
  • The trip from Union is about 30 minutes
  • You can buy the tickets online or at the station for $25.70 for your family
  • You won't have any trouble getting on & off the train with both your child and your luggage since it is a level platform.
  • There are lots of signs once you get to Pearson and to get to the Sheraton you'll need to get onto the Link Train (the fake monorail!) and ride to terminal 3
Ah Donald, you never let me down!
So the UP train goes directly to the airport, that is where we get off?
We don't have to actually leave Union Station, is that correct? The UP train is right there?

We have done this several times but without children and a lot of luggage. GO train, UP, Sheraton and in reverse as well. Signage is well done at both ends. I would recommend buying the tickets online because it does get a bit bogged down at the ticket counter.
Our only issue is you are held hostage to the pricey airport or hotel food and drink once you get settled in. I do enjoy the lounge in the Sheraton but the prices are steep. Easy enough to Uber to nearby restaurant if you wanted to though.

Ah Donald, you never let me down!
So the UP train goes directly to the airport, that is where we get off?
We don't have to actually leave Union Station, is that correct? The UP train is right there?
That's correct! You don't need to go outside .. like i said it is a bit of a walk through Union Station -- it's actually quite pretty
The train makes 2 stops before it gets to the airport -- it's on the same line as one of the GO trains -- but the end of the line is Pearson and it sits there for about 15 minutes before it heads back so you have plenty of time to get gathered up and leave.

This is a map of sorts to show where the UP Express station is -- everything that's shaded is INSIDE .. just lots of long walkways

Last edited:

Any thoughts on how often a UP train leaves Union Station for the airport?

ETA-I suppose I could find that if I googled UP train....sorry.

LOVE LOVE LOVE the UP!

As someone who lives in the city and does not have a car the UP is amazing! We live on the east end of the city and I try my best to avoid using services like uber for such long trips across. The UP is amazing!

Donald has given you tons of great info! I'd also like to mention that at the Union and the Pearson stop the train stays still for a few minutes so you do not need to be worried about it taking a few extra minutes to get your luggage on or off unlike with subway trains.

There is always staff around the stations and they are more than willing to help.

Last edited:
With regards to the hotel, the Sheraton is right at Terminal 3, however the ALT Hotel is a free fake-o-rail ride away beside the Viscount Station (where the Value Parking Garage is) and may be a better price. Equally as convenient.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter