Transfers and Palo/Remy going up...

Except the user was responding to you saying the $40 brunch is sill a good value compared to land restaurants. You can’t compare value with land restaurants though because you’ve already pre-paid for cruise food. $40 isn’t the cost of a brunch, it’s the cost of “a better brunch”.

It’s relvant to the discussion since it goes to the value of the price increase.

However, most people will occasionally go to lunch/brunch/dinner at home even though they have already paid for those meals in their grocery shopping...

However, most people will occasionally go to lunch/brunch/dinner at home even though they have already paid for those meals in their grocery shopping...

That anaology only works if you throw your raw chicken, potatoes, and eggs in the trash when you decide to go out. Assuming you don’t trash your groceries you use them at your next meal.

A better analogy is that you buy a voucher for $20 to eat at Joes neighborhood breakfast buffet and when you get there Joe says for $40 more you can have the alcohol and seafood brunch too....so you spend $60 for your meal.

Then you can compare the value of Joes $60 brunch with other restaurants you go too. Comparing Palo at $40 to your local brunch place isn’t apples to apples because you’ve already paid for the base breakfast.

As we already do now , we will be using our free Palo credit only. It seems like the cruise industry is moving towards specialty restaurants at an additional cost rather than focus on the dining that is included with the cruise. I fear that one day all dining will be an extra cost which will probably end our cruising vacations.

As we already do now , we will be using our free Palo credit only. It seems like the cruise industry is moving towards specialty restaurants at an additional cost rather than focus on the dining that is included with the cruise. I fear that one day all dining will be an extra cost which will probably end our cruising vacations.
We just returned from a Princess cruise and found the food in the main dining room much improved over past cruises. And almost on par with (at least) the Crown Grill onboard.

I'm glad my booking window opened on the 12th and I booked my Palo brunch then. I'll have to check to make sure I get charged the $30 for booking prior to today instead of the new price.

I'm curious to know how they would know which pricing you would get? If we booked before the increase and should be getting the old price, yet sailing during the new price....

Booked in January on the Magic and had already reserved Palo. The reserved booking shows the $30 price, but when I looked at booking a new dinner reservation, it shows the fee of $40. I have sailed before when there has been a price change in something (dining, beverage tastings, etc) after I booked. I have always gotten the original price.

Booked in January on the Magic and had already reserved Palo. The reserved booking shows the $30 price, but when I looked at booking a new dinner reservation, it shows the fee of $40. I have sailed before when there has been a price change in something (dining, beverage tastings, etc) after I booked. I have always gotten the original price.
The difference being, the reservation you already have was booked when the price was $30 (so that's what's being charged). Any new reservation you make would be $40.

As noted, any reservations made prior to the price increase effective date will be grandfathered at the old price. Any new reservations will be charged the new price.

I am pretty sure I remember Palo only being $10 pp in the early days of DCL. $40 is quite an increase over the current $30 charge.

MJ
Yes, it was $10 on our first cruise in 2002. I think it went up to $15 in 2003.

My TA "forgot" (got busy in reality but still love her) to book our one way transportation on our cruise coming up and the price increase happened and she offered to pay the difference since it was her fault for not booking it when I had decided to go ahead with the one way since we are driving our rental to the port and needed the transportation for after the cruise back to the airport. She was told since we had already had an existing reservation with dcl we would not be charged the new price but were only charged the $35 per person for the one way we needed. Not sure if this is the norm or pixie dust but I'll take it. $16 could buy something so I'll take the pixie dust or just pure luck at this point.

I'm one of the biggest Remy advocates there is, but a 24% increase is my breaking point. I only regret that I got AGE last time and had to skip Remy (and Be Our Chef, and Sint Maarten, and St. Thomas). Methinks Disney is trying to pay for their new ships in cash by charging people more for everything before the ships are built.

Very grateful we are Platinum and will be using our "free" Palo dinner. I was considering trying brunch again on a future sailing, but now, nope.

Very grateful we are Platinum and will be using our "free" Palo dinner. I was considering trying brunch again on a future sailing, but now, nope.

You can use the free meal for brunch. It doesn’t say that but they allow it.

You can use the free meal for brunch. It doesn’t say that but they allow it.

Yes, whichever meal we show up for first, brunch or dinner, they always tell us we can use of platinum benefit.
Our norm is brunch on the first sea day and its always been free.

I'm glad we tried Remy for the first time on our Fantasy cruise in October, it was one and done for us anyway.

We usually book Palo for both dinner and brunch but we are getting tired of the dinner menu (#firstworldproblem) so for our March cruise we only have brunch booked. Yes we had it booked before the price increase was announced so it will be $30 for us, but going forward I think we will only do brunch OR dinner, not both. Palo was $25pp when we started cruising with Disney in 2015. DH and I both agree that if it goes beyond $40pp we will probably skip it. Boo.

Except the user was responding to you saying the $40 brunch is sill a good value compared to land restaurants. You can’t compare value with land restaurants though because you’ve already pre-paid for cruise food. $40 isn’t the cost of a brunch, it’s the cost of “a better brunch”.

It’s relvant to the discussion since it goes to the value of the price increase.

Agree with this 100%. We have LOTS of high-end brunch places in the city I live, and I've never seen the price go much about $40. When you factor in that you could have a three-course lunch in the MDR or a pretty substantial buffet "for free," this seems very overpriced to me for brunch. Glad we went to it at the old price. I might check it out for dinner though.

Hmm, for larger families like mine this is feels like a good excuse to try out a minnie van transfer. In fact, if you have 6 people in your party, the cost is pretty much the same for bus ($234) and minnie van ($240).

The Minnie Van is 240 each way for a family of 6. Not round trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter