Transgender child

Its been so long since I did an update and wanted to share our big news with everyone. Last week we filed the paperwork to legally change Tyler's name!! He is in high school now and has really been looking forward to this step in his journey. Our lawyer said once the paperwork is filed it shouldn't take long at all. Tyler is beyond thrilled of course. Showing his birth certificate at the airport when we go to disney was always a source of anxiety for him and now wont be something he'll have to think about for our next trip.

Tyler is doing awesome, going to high school from the middle school was a very smooth transition for him. I explained to him last summer he's always been through ALOT of change, anything that happens in his life from now on will probably seem so much easier for him than most kids since he's had to learn to adapt/adjust to major change at such a young age and not only did he do that and survived, but he thrived. He has a great group of friends, found some clubs at school that fit him well and has a zest for life again. His grades are 80/90s consistently. I couldn't be more proud of the young adult he is becoming. I read back on the doubt, fear, and uncertainty we had in the beginning and wish I could have told myself then what the future would look like for him, maybe it wouldn't have taken so long to accept. Either way, we're here now and I wouldn't change a thing about him.

So happy to read the update! Congrats to Tyler!

So happy to hear these updates! Wanted to share for anyone reading that Gender Spectrum (a nonprofit organization focused on youth & gender) offers free groups for parents and youth that are virtual. For example, they have video hangouts for teens and preteens (and I think even younger) and phone support groups for parents (and I think grandparents too). If you Google the name of the organization, you'll get to their website where you can request more info. They are a great program, and might be helpful when people have to drive so far to join in-person groups! :)

Niagara on the Ontario side of the border does LGBT prom every year & if there is no pride over there I would bring him up to Toronto's it can feel so good and he can meet people and get tips. He might need binding soon make sure he uses a proper binder, not bandages. Glad to hear he is doing well.

I would like to recommend GenderSpectrum. They are in CA and are an amazing group. They usually run a weekend conference for families, but it is canceled this year. They have tons of online resources and support groups. We went to the conference a few years ago and it was fantastic. I highly recommend looking at their site and reaching out to them. They are bay area local, so literally every trans-family I know has either gone to the conference or used their resources. I do not know one person who does not think GS was integral in supporting their family through transitions and gender explorations. My two Cis-gender daughters felt it was really helpful in understanding where their sister was coming from and understanding how she felt when she was unable to express herself. My husband and I also learned a lot about everything from emotional support, medical issues, religious issues, and legal issues. They really have people who are very knowledgable.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!