Transgender Trip to DW

Madeline E.

Earning My Ears
Hi, I have a reservation for me (MtF) and my girlfriend late summer. With the introduction of the new magic bands, I'm not sure which name to put on them. for the record, i spend some of my time as a male, and some as a female. I've written to disney via email communications but waiting a response. Ive done some forum searching, and most of the transgender posts are rather dated. Are there any recent experiences or recommendations on how to avoid embarrassing situations with naming?

Thanks
~maddie

You can have any name you want put on your magic band. Why not pick one that's gender neutral?

Sorry if this sounds harsh, but you're asking me to choose another name. Heck, I certainly don't need THREE :) I know I can put whatever I want (barring inappropriate language) My questions is does this name show up anywhere when you're in the park, if so where? IE, do the cast members see this when i scan it? Do any of the rides say "Welcome Maddie" or would my dinner reservation be denied if my magic band when scanned doesn't show my legal name. I'm not worried about the name INSIDE the band, its more about what flashes up on anyones screen! Thanks for the response though!!! :)
~maddie

Sorry if I offended you, that was not my intention.

There are various places where CM's will see your name. If you scan your MB for a FP ride, your name is shown on a screen that a CM may, or may not, be looking at. However, they really don't care what the name is. There apparently is one new place where your MB name will be displayed for everybody. At the end of Its a Small World, they now have a screen that says goodbye to the people in the boat. I believe that your name will just be among all of those listed on that screen so people really won't be able to tell just which person is Maddie.

Your dinner reservations won't be denied if your MB name is different from your legal name. The only time the restaurant will even see your name is what is on the reservation itself and when (if) you pay with your MB. At the restaurant when you check in, just give them the name that the reservation was made under. At payment, all they care is that you pay, not what name is paying.

Heck no, no offense! The world is opening up and starting to fully understand the Trans community, but theres much education to be done. Thank you for your help!!!!!

~maddie

Oh, people put all kinds of names on their MBs; putting your preferred name even if it's different from the name on your credit card won't lift any eyebrows! My eldest put their preferred name on their MB but we left everything else the same. (Situation's a little different, since they're a teenager who's not quite yet a legal adult, but still.)

At the end of Its a Small World, they now have a screen that says goodbye to the people in the boat.
This type of feature was talked about when Magic Bands were first introduced. It's taken them a while to roll this out, but you may be seeing it at more and more rides.

We chose to put our anniversary date on our bands, and not our names.
The personalization is on the inside of the band.

Hi, I have a reservation for me (MtF) and my girlfriend late summer. With the introduction of the new magic bands, I'm not sure which name to put on them. for the record, i spend some of my time as a male, and some as a female. I've written to disney via email communications but waiting a response. Ive done some forum searching, and most of the transgender posts are rather dated. Are there any recent experiences or recommendations on how to avoid embarrassing situations with naming?

Thanks
~maddie

I think you will have a great trip which ever name you choose. How about using an initial?

so i heard back from disney, and they say this. I can change my name in the my disney experience app, and that does update their system, although its not a priority update. They are pretty sure that if i update it in evening it will be updated in the systems by the next morning, so that when the band is scanned it will show the name, but they can't guarantee it as its not a priority update. So they said i could change the name back and forth (duh, obviously the name engraved ON the band won't change).

Doesn't matter, the more I think about this, I'm going to use the female name, not keep changing it and use a purple magic band, and say:

"Venture outside your comfort zone. The rewards are worth it"
"Don't just fly, soar."
"The problem is not the problem. The problem is [my] attitude toward the problem"
"Do not be followed by its commonplace appearance........ it is not what is outside, but what is inside that counts..."
"You're braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think"

So here goes, countdown to disney!

The only think I can think where your name would make a difference would be if you are a FL resident or DVC member and have the Tables in Wonderland card. This info is not encoded onto the band, and you need to show a photo ID to use it. But even then, the name on the magic band would not matter, as long as the TiW card and photo ID names matched.

I know you have already decided what to do but I wanted to provide, hopefully, a little reassurance. My band got assigned my husband's name and he got assigned mine so we both had "transgendered" bands. Not once did a cast member even blink at our names not matching our appearance so really don't worry that anyone will think anything odd, much less say anything.

Thanks
~maddie

Pick whatever name works for you on the band. It won't be an issue. They don't look at the band and then address you by that name, or try to judge if the name matches the face. Just put what you consider to be your name and be yourself. Relax and have fun: you'll be at Disney!:tigger:

It's a tolerant place, btw. After all, grown men and women dress up like mice and ducks there every day, and I've never seen security ask one to leave. They're actually quite popular with families with small kids. Go figure.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter