Transitions from Spiral Travel Booklet to New Luggage Tag Mailer

I don't think that is necessarily true. Last time we were GTY, our luggage tags and booklet just said "Stateroom GTY." They look you up based on your name in those cases.
That is usually the case for restricted guarantee (IGT/OGT/VGT) or last minute bookings, they will send out the booklet and tags with just the name, and blank space for stateroom (SR#______).
Last minute changes are definitely a factor, and perhaps now they are more common than in the past (a decade or more ago, we did not really have any way to do this continuous tweaking, the web site simply did not provide this capability).

I've been trained in graphic design (for printing) in a previous life. Paper may be cheap but they have to pay employees to make the design (first print), print and prepare those for shipping. Also, the cost of shipping is definitely higher for a booklet than this little thing.

Yes and that first design was made 20 years ago so it has more than paid for itself.

I've actually kept all our booklets as well. So yes I'm a little bummed, but in all honesty I agree the booklet is a waste and this new mailer will give us everything. I'm glad we don't have to print our tags at home ......yet anyway :cool:

I mean if my MIL were on the ship she would be stuck wandering aimlessly the entire time. She is 100% NOT a tech person. She has a smart phone and half the time doesn't answer it because she can't figure out how to swipe it.

Aw, poor MIL. She should get a flip phone to make her life easier. About $30, and I've purchased them (for my then-MIL) at ATT and T-mobile stores. If she's an NCIS fan, then she'll be like Gibbs.

Emergency numbers are for just that - emergencies and a way for family to get you if they need you.

True. And it's got to be an emergency to pay those fees to call the ship! (they charge to call)

Carnival does it to. I always do the online check in for my parents as they are not that computer savvy and I hate printing out the luggage tags...you have to print then fold along the dotted lines then loop through suitcase handle and staple ends. The paper is stiff and does not bend as well as the DCL luggage tags.

MJ

IF you don't want to do that sort of arts and crafts, you CAN just print it, cut it, and put it in a plastic tag holder that's purchasable at a variety of places. Just make sure you get the kind that are for Carnival. Different lines have different sizes needed.

Aw, poor MIL. She should get a flip phone to make her life easier. About $30, and I've purchased them (for my then-MIL) at ATT and T-mobile stores. If she's an NCIS fan, then she'll be like Gibbs.

Oh she had a flip phone and when it died we all begged her to just get a flip phone, but she wants to have the new stuff. She just cannot grasp how to use it. She calls me from the house phone and asks me what things mean (like I can see the phone) and waits for her grandson to visit to answer text messages:rotfl2: She tries, but...

Hey Mickey...It would be great to be able to save items/pages from the mobile app to a pdf print file so I can print what I want when we get home! Thank You....

How many people really have home printers these days. Ours is 15 years old and I'm amazed it still works.
Hmm... we had to get one when our kid started school... seems like we always have a variety of things that need to be printed out!

I so agree about the emergency contact info. DH called before our last cruise and the agent on the phone had no clue - and there is nothing on the website we could easily find. I wanted to use the old number but turns out the agent finally told him no, and gave him 2 new numbers to reference. This information should be front and center on their FAQ area. Just an example - I put in the search bar "emergency contact phone number" and I get Alaska excursions... Are they joking? o_O Phone information was about 6 down and it was about on board connectivity and wave phones

Slightly Off topic...
A couple things I wish DCL would understand
1. Not everyone has a cell phone service that works with the ships @SEA service. I cannot use my cell on cruises because I have Boost for my cell.
2. Not everyone wants or has the ability to be connected to people at home via the internet. I mean if my MIL were on the ship she would be stuck wandering aimlessly the entire time. She is 100% NOT a tech person. She has a smart phone and half the time doesn't answer it because she can't figure out how to swipe it. Personally - I go on a cruise to be on vacation from EVERYTHING. I don't want to be on my cell phone, Facebook, Twitter or have access to emails all day. Emergency numbers are for just that - emergencies and a way for family to get you if they need you. I don't need to be connected 24/7 when I am on the ship.
I’m positive Disney does know this. But the number of people this is true for is probably a pretty small percentage of customers. They have probably decided it’s not going to lose them a significant amount of money by alienating that segment of people.

Seriously... it's almost cheaper these days to buy a new printer every time you run out ink instead of replacing the ink. Thank goodness for printers at work.

Exactly... I bet mine at home would get more love if I didn't have one at work to use.

I've kept a couple of the front pages from the book... I liked the images from the halloween on the high seas and the very merry cruise ones and we have them on the wall in our closet with some of my running bibs.

How many people really have home printers these days. Ours is 15 years old and I'm amazed it still works.
Hahaha yeah mine was ancient and didn’t have wireless built in(and I’m an IT guy). Just didn’t feel the need plus I print at work but I got a good deal on a nice HP last year so figured why not.

We just got our document booklet today and it is spiral bound. Just 2-3 pages plus the luggage tag envelope. So is my daughter’s. We are on the 7/14 Magic. Maybe they are still using up older booklets. It doesn’t have emergency contact cards. Wish it did. I would take a photo of the card and email it to those who needed to know that info.

It does have a nice sailing itinerary page. I take a photo of the sailing itinerary to send to relatives who want to follow along on our trip.

I do like to use the envelope area the luggage tags are in to keep receipts as a previous poster mentioned.

We're in pack rat mode and keep all the docs and receipts "just in case" and the books are great for that. We did need to show the spiral book for embarkation at the port a couple times just to get in--once as recently as last Fall. Odd.

I don't think making us print our own luggage tags really reduces that much waste. The tags from cruise lines are usually much more durable than plain printer paper. The print-your-own can get pretty munched up or lost. We had to print our own on Princess a few years ago and, of course, some in our large party did not have access to a printer. That added to the already stressed situation of traveling with a large family group.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts