Transport options from San Diego Airport to Cruise Terminal for family with 5 yr old and no car seat?

Keyframer30

Animator and Disneyphile
Hi all,

Apologies if this is often asked question...

Are there any reliable shuttles (buses) for easy transport from San Diego Airport to the cruise terminal?

We are travelling with our 5 yr old but don't want to lug our car seat with us.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

We travel with our Bubble Bum for cruise trips when we'll just need it for short Uber/Lyft trips between hotel, airport, and port. It works great!

I’d try and borrow a bubble bum before you invest the $ in one.

My boss bought TWO (twins) and both parents and kids hated them. I borrowed it and found it awful to use as well. And my kid hated it.

For a 15 minute drive to terminal for a Disney cruise, a 5 year old can buck up of they hate it. We are not talking a road trip.
The law in California says:
... children must be seated in the rear seat of a vehicle in an appropriate car seat or booster seat until they are 8 years old or 4'9″ tall. Children must remain in a rear facing car seat until they weigh 40 pounds or more or are at least 40 inches tall.

The law in California says:
... children must be seated in the rear seat of a vehicle in an appropriate car seat or booster seat until they are 8 years old or 4'9″ tall. Children must remain in a rear facing car seat until they weigh 40 pounds or more or are at least 40 inches tall.
My point is that if they "hate" the bubble bum, it is a half hour of use. It is not a 4 hour drive across Wisconsin. It is less time than their last dental cleaning.

Are there any reliable shuttles (buses) for easy transport from San Diego Airport to the cruise terminal?
From the DCL website:

Ground transfers between San Diego International Airport and the Port of San Diego are available for purchase. Airport transfers are available on embarkation and debarkation days only, for $18 per Guest. We recommend calling (800) 951-3532 to add ground transfers in advance, as only a limited number may be available for purchase upon arrival. Please be prepared to provide your inbound and outbound flight details.

A clarification.

The kid hated sitting on the bubble bum

The parents hated it because it was very difficult to get safely positioned. It was a total PITA to use.

My kid would have been a lot safer in a traditional booster because I know it would have been installed safely.

We did a Vancouver to San Diego cruise a couple of years back. We left the ship, walked about 3 minutes across the street and caught the public city bus number 992 going north. We pulled into the airport ten minutes later. $2.50 per person, they come every 30 minutes or so. It's a regular public bus but we had no problem with room for luggage, just as easy as a shuttle or taxi and a fraction of the price. You can easily look up the details of Google maps.

We did a Vancouver to San Diego cruise a couple of years back. We left the ship, walked about 3 minutes across the street and caught the public city bus number 992 going north. We pulled into the airport ten minutes later. $2.50 per person, they come every 30 minutes or so. It's a regular public bus but we had no problem with room for luggage, just as easy as a shuttle or taxi and a fraction of the price. You can easily look up the details of Google maps.

I'd not ocunt on SD public transport on a Sunday morning...

The parents hated it because it was very difficult to get safely positioned. It was a total PITA to use.
This. I considered a bubble bum when my daughter was younger but decided against it after I tried one and struggled with how to get it safely positioned in my car. Last year I was driving a carpool, and to my dismay, a kid brought along a bubble bum! She had no idea that there was a proper way to get it into the car and told me it was just like a regular booster. Apparently her parents frequently send her with a bubble bum and no instructions for the person driving the carpool!

This. I considered a bubble bum when my daughter was younger but decided against it after I tried one and struggled with how to get it safely positioned in my car. Last year I was driving a carpool, and to my dismay, a kid brought along a bubble bum! She had no idea that there was a proper way to get it into the car and told me it was just like a regular booster. Apparently her parents frequently send her with a bubble bum and no instructions for the person driving the carpool!

EXACTLY!
Its highly non-trivial to use.

I'm sure if used properly its as safe as a traditional booster. I just found that it was REALLY HARD to install safely.

We travel with a bubblebum when we go to the US. Is it as good as a traditional booster? No but it is better than the mifold which is even harder to use properly and is much safer than not using one at all. My oldest can technically ride without a booster in a lot of places because she is 8 but she is definitely not big enough to not have a booster seat. For our purposes for a travel seat the bubblebum works fine.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter