• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Transportation Driver Complaint

aubriee

<font color=brown><marquee>Chocolate always makes
I just got back from doing a split stay at POFQ and CSR Sunday (12/18). I took my 73 y/o mom for her first ever trip to WDW. Due to mobility problems I rented a ECV for her. We had a great time, but had one disturbing incident. Thursday around 10:30am we were leaving CSR to go to MGM. The bus was pulling up just as we arrived at the bus stop, so I rushed ahead to make sure we didn't miss him. As I arrived I saw the driver mouth the word 'sh*t' as he glared at my mom's scooter. I immediately drew back, and as I arrived at the bus door he asked if we were going to MGM. When I said yes, he muttered 'great' very sarcastically. My mom unfortunately also saw what he said and asked 'Did he just say sh*t when he saw me? Maybe we should wait for another bus.' Not being used to driving an ECV my mom did fine driving forward, but had some problems backing onto the buses. Once she got on the bus the other drivers let her get off and they situated the ECV in place and locked it down, but this driver refused to do so and just kept telling her she had to 'parrallel park it' in the bus. He had her almost in tears by the time she got it exactly where he wanted it, at which point he snorted at her and said the rental companies needed to make sure people could drive an ECV before renting them out. My mom informed him she could drive one, but he had made her nervous. He said 'whatever' and walked back to the front of the bus. The bus only had maybe 7 or 8 more people on it, so it wasn't crowded. A few minutes later someone up front asked him what the weather was going to do that day. He again was very sarcastic and said, 'how should I know, I'm just a bus driver not a weather man. It's not in my job description'. The lady sitting across from us made a comment about 'so much for Disney hospitality'. He didn't say another word the entire ride other than the spiel about staying in your seats. He didn't even bother to tell us the number for the return bus stop, as all the other drivers had. He was just very unmagical! I was just curious if anyone else in an ECV had run into a driver with this attitude. The rest of the drivers were great and some even got the ECV onto the bus for her (if it wasn't busy).

WOW... I am so sorry to hear that. It must have been very stressful for your mother, too. She sounds as though she was very hurt (as any normal human being would have been). Do you remember his name? And the date and time? If so, you may want to contact someone. I understand people have a bad day, but that seems just excessive. I would try to call or write a letter and just let them know what's really going on. Even without the driver's name, date, and time, etc., you can still let them know what's going on.

Having worked in customer service and order entry for QVC, I became very familiar with callers who needed special accomodations. I always reminded myself and the people around me that it could be your grandmother on the phone... wouldn't you want her treated with respect? I actually got a call from my mom's neighbor (NEXT door neighbor) once. It was a reminder how small the world is.

No one shoudl be treated that way. Anywhere. At any point. For any reason. I can't imagine how hurt she must have been to say, "Let's wait for another bus?"

xoxo

I am so so sorry this happened to you. My DH drives his own ECV and we had a bad incident last time. We were instructed to take down the driver's name and the bus number. Fortunately, we ran into her boss while waiting for a return bus. I had never complained before but he asked how the trip was going .... :rolleyes: so I told him.

Our bus driver wanted to load my DH on an already FULL bus (standing room only). We told her that we had no problem waiting for the next one. Her comment at the time should have been a warning "why? the next one will be full too". We waited anyway. It seemed that she didn't like loading ECVs first because she didn't think that it was fair that other people needed to wait on us. So she loaded him into the spot and wouldn't strap him down until everyone else was on the bus. Do you know how hard it is to do that on a FULL bus?

I think that there are a couple of bus drivers that need to spend the entire day in an ECV. Maybe then they will understand how hard it is. That said, most drivers are absolutely wonderful. But we are thinking about driving to the parks next time. Nothing to do with the buses but my DH feels bad about making people wait for him. There have been many times that he will send my DD and I back to the room so that he isn't "cutting" the line.

Don't let this discourage you from taking your mom to the parks again. It is such a wonderful place and normally very friendly to those with mobility issues. :grouphug:

Eeyore'sthebest said:
I think that there are a couple of bus drivers that need to spend the entire day in an ECV. Maybe then they will understand how hard it is.
that sounds like a very good idea. wheelchairs and ECVs look very easy to drive when you are not the one driving them.

Also, the bus drivers mentioned here sound like they have problems dealing with guests in general, not just guests with special needs. So, it would be a favor to all guests to report them. Most of the bus drivers we have had problems with have been of that sort - they should not have been in guest contact positions because they were burnt out and rude.

Most of the drivers have been nice though.

Eeyore'sthebest said:
I think that there are a couple of bus drivers that need to spend the entire day in an ECV. Maybe then they will understand how hard it is.
I think every Disney bus driver should be required to drive an ECV in reverse onto a bus and park it successfully before they finish their training. This should give them a bit of appreciation for what they ask the guests to do. Maybe this particular driver would be a bit more sympathetic toward guests with disabilities. Hopefully, this was an unusual event for him and not his normal way of dealing with guests.

I am so sorry to hear that you and your mother had such a horrible experience. Unfotunately, it's still just a job to some people. Although Disney should keep an eye on how some of their employees act.

We were down in Disney during the middle of November. We were coming out of the Animal Kingdom. It was early in the morning, so the bus area was not crowded at all. We were staying at the Beach Club Villas, so we went to the designated stop. A bus pulled up with an older driver on it. He opened the door, and we got ready to board. It was me, my DH, our 3 year old DD and our 17 month old DS. I had all of the bag and my DD by the hand. My DH had the double stroller and was carrying our DS. So it was enough of a challenge to get on the bus by itself. My DD was infront of me, and I told her to go ahead up on the bus. The bus was one that was higher off the ground than some. My DD grabbed the rail and climed up onto the bus. She started to go back onto the bus, and I was following her. All of a sudden, the driver told us to stop and get off. He wasn't going to the Beach Club Villas. The guy waited until we were all the way on the bus. So I turn to get off the bus. Of course my DD, being the child that she is, didn't want to get off. I was calling to her to come off the bus. She got to the door of the bus and was obviously confused. All of a sudden, the driver shuts the door with my DD still inside! My daughter was just inches from getting shut in the door! :eek: I was furious!!! My DH was even more upset. He started yelling at the driver and asking if he was nuts! The guy clearly was not all there! He didn't even acknowledge us as we were yelling at him! My poor DD was in tears. She had no idea what had happened! My DH went over to some other drivers and asked to speak to a manager. I don't know if he found one, but he certainly complained to all those who would listen. We took down the name of the bus driver and the time and called to file a complaint when we got back to the room. Can you imagine! I guess that they just let anyone drive a bus these days! It was horrible! :(

We once again rented an ECV for my husband when we went down this month. He didn't use it every day, but the first day without the kids to help, we were both nervous. Our first bus driver was SO patient, and SO kind, that it made both of us more confident. I still had a "WWWD" pin or two with me, and I happily gave him one.

Please report this driver. If DIsney is unaware of the problems Disney cannot correct the problem. If you do not have the driver's name, report the route, day and time, and where the incident ocurred so they can track it down. Send it to
Walt Disney World
Guest Communications
PO Box 10040
LAke Buena Vista, FL 32830-0040

Aubriee, I am very sorry you had a negative experience with the bus driver. I encourage anyone who has positive or negative experiences to report it. I rent an ECV from off property while at WDW & use the bus transportation a lot. I hve been known to call the operator when we return to the room & ask for a bus transportation supervisor. I have called as late as 1:30 in the morning (after returning from a late night at MK). Be sure to get the CMs name, the bus number & route & the time of day.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter