Transportation from Orlando Airport to Port Canaveral

pacruiser

Earning My Ears
I know this subject has been beaten to death as I have read a few threads on it.

There are 7 of us. I have priced out a rental car but the rates are high for our time. So I am looking at transportation companies. It seems like Cortrans ($20 each way) is well regarded. However with 7 of us it's $140 which is basically the price of a private van. There are an overwhelming amount of private transportation companies, however. Anyone have any good experiences with a specific company?

Also, what benefits do you get with the Disney transportation? I know it's more expensive, but it may be an option. We have three kids, do they do anything special on the bus? Is there a movie or something? What about luggage? Do they handle it if you use the disney option? They take it at the airport and it arrives in your room kind of thing?

We will be coming in the day prior to the Orlando airport and getting a hotel, and then we will head back to the airport to catch the bus. First time doing this for us! Thanks for your tips.

Here is a thread that answers most of your questions about the DCL transfer and luggage: https://www.disboards.com/threads/dcl-shuttle-from-mco-and-baggage.3729451/

The other things to note about the DCL bus:
  • There is a movie on the bus - it plays Disney cartoons with the fab 5 and when you get close to the ship it shows highlights of the ship, Castaway Cay, etc.
  • There is a small bathroom on the bus - that can make a difference if you are traveling with littles.
We've done the bus and private transportation. The bus is fun and the kids in our group always liked the movie. It was a plus not to have to deal with baggage. But once you are more than 4 people, a private transfer is generally cheaper and the more people you have, the bigger the price difference.

@pacruiser We've been happy with Happy Limo but I also know people who have used Orlando Limo and Elite Transportation and been happy.

I would double check your van price. I think Happy would be around $190 with tip for a group your size. Still cheaper than disney. Just make sure you're comparing Apple to Apples.

Personally, we private transportation to the port and Disney back to the airport so we can use onboard check in

We're also a party of 7, and found that paying $70pp for the bus was a tad high compared to just getting private transportation.

If you have small ones, especially if they haven't been on a Disney Cruise before, the DCL busses do add a bit of excitement to the trip out.

One benefit of going with private transportation though is they'll pick you up from your hotel and take you straight to the port. I know it isn't a big deal, but getting a party of 7 up and heading back to the airport, getting in line for the bus, etc...ugh...

Easiest and most convenient option is to stay at the MCO Hyatt, which is inside the airport, and take the DCL shuttle.

You can arrange for them to collect your luggage from your hotel room the morning of the crusie, and next time you see it will be in your cabin.

In the morning you just head down to DCL with your carry ons, and off you go.

Easiest and most convenient option is to stay at the MCO Hyatt, which is inside the airport, and take the DCL shuttle.

Totally agree, but when you've got Hilton/Mariott points that let you stay at a nearby hotel for free, that $270/night per room charge at the Hyatt can be a tough pill.

Totally agree, but when you've got Hilton/Mariott points that let you stay at a nearby hotel for free, that $270/night per room charge at the Hyatt can be a tough pill.

Exactly, especially when your only benefit is styaing at the airport and the luggage transfer. Taking the free shuttle to a nearby hotel when you land, and then again the next morning isn't a bad idea, especially since they will likely also charge less than $270 a night. Plus staying off site you might be able to walk to a gas station or grocery store and pick up your alotment of wine and beer.

For a party of 7, not staying at the Hyatt, I think it would be a total PITA to have to get back to MCO just to pay triple to ride the DCL busses. I'd book a private van with Mears or Happy Limo and have them get you right from your hotel

Easy and convenient always translate to more $$$.

OP: Check with Super Shuttle on rates. And do it via phone, not the web site. Ask them specifically if they would be able to quote pricing based on a shared ride van because there are 7 of you (and you may well end up with what would essentially be a private van). MCO is your starting point for transportation to port and your end point for transportation from port (don't try and arrange transportation from an off-airport hotel or something).

Exactly, especially when your only benefit is styaing at the airport and the luggage transfer. Taking the free shuttle to a nearby hotel when you land, and then again the next morning isn't a bad idea, especially since they will likely also charge less than $270 a night. Plus staying off site you might be able to walk to a gas station or grocery store and pick up your alotment of wine and beer.

We flew into MCO on a Friday and took the shuttle to a Marriott property (free). Checked in and Uber'ed out to dinner about a mile away. Hit the Walgreen's and picked up three bottles of wine to take with us on the ship and Uber'ed back to the hotel.

Saturday morning, we took the hotel shuttle back to MCO (free) and headed to the DCL transportation area to board the DCL bus. It was only two adults, so the $87/person/round trip was perfectly reasonable as it was competitive to the other options.

We'll be 7 also.......looking at private, but the cruise is costing so much, I think we will just suck up the price and use DCL transportation. It's nice and we do like the cartoons for the kids

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter