Transportation from the airport and back?

SL6827

DIS Veteran
What do you recommend using to get to Aulani from the airport and back? Uber, taxi, shuttle? Any private cars that are good? Which of these are the most cost effective? Most efficient?

We have used and liked Charley's taxi a few times with their flat rate $55 one way. We once crammed 6 people and all our luggage in a taxi van and so it was definitely a great value per person that trip.

I would definitely at least consider renting a car for your time at Aulani. Many folks here recommend this, for multiple reasons. First, you'll probably want to explore the island--it's easiest to do so with a car. You may also want to be able to get groceries and/or supplies, which will be much less pricey outside of Ko Olina.

I would definitely at least consider renting a car for your time at Aulani. Many folks here recommend this, for multiple reasons. First, you'll probably want to explore the island--it's easiest to do so with a car. You may also want to be able to get groceries and/or supplies, which will be much less pricey outside of Ko Olina.
I do plan to rent one for one day of touring, but that will be it. Six nights of parking a vehicle would run me what 240.00? No thank you, lol.

Last edited:

I do plan to rent one for one day of touring, but that will be it. Six nights of parking a vehicle would run me what 240.00? No thank you, lol.
If you happen to be staying on DVC points, even rented points, parking at Aulani is free. Another perk to consider when weighing the decision of whether to rent points.

I am also a proponent of renting a car for the duration for the ease and flexibility of sightseeing, but also for the ease of getting to and from the airport. After we arrived and picked up our rental, we were able to stop at Target in Kapolei to pick up some groceries on the way. By the time we got to Aulani, our room was ready and we were able to go straight there. Worked out well.

If that doesn't work for you, I see Charley's most often recommended here. I'm not sure whether there are any cheaper shared shuttles that go to Ko Olina, but if there are, I would guess they are fewer and further between than Waikiki ones given the remote location of Ko Olina. Uber/Lyft may be more prevalent now than when we were there a few years ago, but we didn't find availability to be that reliable, especially in Ko Olina. I know that Covid has also impacted Uber/Lyft availability where I live, so that may be a factor too.

Got to agree with @nkereina above. Good points. Also agree that if you don't rent a car for the full stay there is no reason to pre-book transfers from the airport to Aulani. Just grab a Charley cab outside. We've occasionally used Uber for short trips to the store/etc and its worked fine. Not sure how it will work out from the airport though.

If you happen to be staying on DVC points, even rented points, parking at Aulani is free. Another perk to consider when weighing the decision of whether to rent points.

I am also a proponent of renting a car for the duration for the ease and flexibility of sightseeing, but also for the ease of getting to and from the airport. After we arrived and picked up our rental, we were able to stop at Target in Kapolei to pick up some groceries on the way. By the time we got to Aulani, our room was ready and we were able to go straight there. Worked out well.

If that doesn't work for you, I see Charley's most often recommended here. I'm not sure whether there are any cheaper shared shuttles that go to Ko Olina, but if there are, I would guess they are fewer and further between than Waikiki ones given the remote location of Ko Olina. Uber/Lyft may be more prevalent now than when we were there a few years ago, but we didn't find availability to be that reliable, especially in Ko Olina. I know that Covid has also impacted Uber/Lyft availability where I live, so that may be a factor too.

@nkereina...do you know how the parking works. We had a reservation through the DVC Rental Store last month that obviously didn't happen and I am now looking at next Spring Break or summer. Anyway, when I got my confirmation for this summer, it gave me the Member's Name that the reservation was under. So do I give this name to the parking attendant? Just not sure how it works on rented points....thanks!

@nkereina...do you know how the parking works. We had a reservation through the DVC Rental Store last month that obviously didn't happen and I am now looking at next Spring Break or summer. Anyway, when I got my confirmation for this summer, it gave me the Member's Name that the reservation was under. So do I give this name to the parking attendant? Just not sure how it works on rented points....thanks!
The parking is attached to your reservation, and you enter and exit the self-parking garage by using your room key. You would want to confirm at check-in that your parking is covered. You can get additional details about the ins and outs of whether or not parking is free at the link below:

https://www.disneyaulani.com/about-aulani/parking-transportation/

No car for us on this trip except for one day to use to explore the island.

There isn't a parking attendant. Your reservation is coded in the system as points, which is what "triggers" the free parking. Anyone staying on points receives free parking, regardless of whether you are a DVC member or not. As PP mentions, you will insert your room key to enter and exit the parking garage. Since your room key is associated with your reservation, coded as points, you won't be charged for parking.

As a side note, you won't need the DVC member's name for anything. We've rented points for Aulani and WDW stays and I don't think I even knew the member's name most of the time!

we used Charleys to go from Aulani to the airport. We stayed in Waikiki beach for a few days first and used lyft from the airport to the hotel and then just paid a ton from the hotel to Aulani when we were ready to go.

we used Charleys to go from Aulani to the airport. We stayed in Waikiki beach for a few days first and used lyft from the airport to the hotel and then just paid a ton from the hotel to Aulani when we were ready to go.
What amount was a ton? :scratchin

What amount was a ton? :scratchin
I don't know what the PP you quoted paid, but an UberX from a general point in Waikiki Beach to Aulani is roughly $45. That would accommodate 2-3 adults and likely 2 standard size suitcases, depending on the vehicle assigned.

If I were to rent a car at the airport from Alamo for our days in Waikiki, could I return it at the Alamo at Aulani? Would it be considerably higher in doing such?

If I were to rent a car at the airport from Alamo for our days in Waikiki, could I return it at the Alamo at Aulani? Would it be considerably higher in doing such?
You can do that. You'd have to price it out, but typically they do impose a fee if you drop it off at a different location. Enterprise is at the Marriott down the street from Aulani (walking distance), in case they have a better price.

I believe the “drop at a different location” fee is generally around $50, depending on which rental agency.

And that was about the same price that lyft quoted us for an XL at the time. You can get smaller lyft for half the price but then there’s no guarantees if they’ll have room for luggage or anything. So we just took a cab to Aulani because they were right there when we were ready to go

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter