Transportation Question

DonaldnDaisy5

DIS Veteran
We are currently booked at RP for a Sunday to Saturday stay. Airline tickets were crazy cheaper with better flight times for Saturday to Saturday. So we added a day to our trip. We are only planning on 4 park days. A condition of the trip to another "theme park" was at least one hotel day. We will be flying into Sanford.

We were planning on using Tony for transportation and adding a day onto our US stay, but after talking with the other family we are traveling with, we decided to add our extra night at Cocoa Beach instead of US.

So we booked Saturday night at a hotel at the beach, will spend Saturday afternoon and Sunday till late afternoon at the beach, then drive to US. This means we are looking into rental cars instead of using Tony. We will get the car from Sanford, drive to Cocoa, then drive to US/RP.

I know Avis will be the onsite company, but they are pricing out about 4 times as much as other companies like Budget. Looking at the Uber site, we could rent from them (at a much lower rate), drop family at hotel and then car at Budget offices, uber back to the hotel and still be about $200 cheaper than Avis.

Are there tricks to renting a car and getting a cheaper rate? Does this plan sound crazy? I am used to the Disney bubble.

Also what would be our best options for getting back to the airport? We are 2 families of 5.

What time of year are you going? (i.e., how far from now?). I find car rental rates are usually start to drop two to three months prior to my trip and can really fluctuate. I will admit I get quite obsessive about it as it becomes a game with me and I check daily and rebook if it drops - my last booking started at $343 for a week and ended at $157 which I got about 12 days before my trip. That said I use Costco Travel as it is really easy to use and to check rates against one another (but you'd need a membership to use it) and I was renting from MCO which may have made a difference. There is usually lots of great info on the Transportation Board on monthly car rental rates and where to find deals for certain periods. Sorry I can't help much more - we are a family of three so different size of vehicles will work for us. (Also if you are picking up and dropping off at different locations you will likely pay more).

you could look the Alamo way
drop the luggage at RPR, then drop car off at Four Points' alamo agency (across from where wet'n'wild used to be), then walk or uber back to RPR

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter