Transportation to/from airport from Universal Resort

Terrible! Don't, just don't!

I used it a few years ago on a quick budget trip. The trip to Universal was okay (although we had to wait for the van and stop at one other hotel before ours). The trip to the airport was a nightmare. They finally got there to pick me up less than 1 hour before my flight and after three panicked phone calls to their "service center." The worst part was that no one seemed especially disturbed by my experience. Then I looked up the reviews of them and realized why. The Superstar shuttle is NOT run by Universal so there is no one "in charge" of guest satisfaction.

From then on, I vowed that I would spend the extra money and use Tony Hinds. It is worth it for my piece of mind. Plus Tony is a rare gem and having him meet us at the airport is like meeting an old friend.
Sounds like a car service is the way to go. I’ve used Quicksilver once.
I’ll never use regular taxis in Orlando again. Half of them are gypsy cabs. You have to know in advance how much it should cost to get to your destination or you get ripped off.

We just returned from our trip and used Tony Hinds for our transportation. He is truly a gem! After we landed, storms moved in with lightning. It took over 2 hours to get our bags. Tony waited patiently with us- monitoring the local radar! His other driver was with another family who also waited for their bags to be unloaded.

On departure day, Tony was at our hotel 1/2 hour early- he texted us he was there and no hurry to meet him - we had plenty of time to get to the airport. He's always waiting for you with a smile!!:)

We just returned from our trip and used Tony Hinds for our transportation. He is truly a gem! After we landed, storms moved in with lightning. It took over 2 hours to get our bags. Tony waited patiently with us- monitoring the local radar! His other driver was with another family who also waited for their bags to be unloaded.

On departure day, Tony was at our hotel 1/2 hour early- he texted us he was there and no hurry to meet him - we had plenty of time to get to the airport. He's always waiting for you with a smile!!:)

How much does he charge RT? Is grocery stop included?

Terrible! Don't, just don't!

I used it a few years ago on a quick budget trip. The trip to Universal was okay (although we had to wait for the van and stop at one other hotel before ours). The trip to the airport was a nightmare. They finally got there to pick me up less than 1 hour before my flight and after three panicked phone calls to their "service center." The worst part was that no one seemed especially disturbed by my experience. Then I looked up the reviews of them and realized why. The Superstar shuttle is NOT run by Universal so there is no one "in charge" of guest satisfaction.

From then on, I vowed that I would spend the extra money and use Tony Hinds. It is worth it for my piece of mind. Plus Tony is a rare gem and having him meet us at the airport is like meeting an old friend.

Tony is just awesome! Seeing him at the airport feels like the real start of our vacation.

On my recent trip I used the Universal Superstar shuttle - it worked just fine and it was $15 each way
You also pick up your tickets at the airport so you are ready to go to the parks from there

The bus is a little beat up compared to the Mears shuttles but it only goes to Universal hotels which is a plus - with the Mears shuttle you could stop at 2 or 3 random hotels before you get to yours
BTW: I am pretty sure, much like all buses in Orlando including Magic Express, Superstar Shuttle it is run by Mears

Also - kind of odd - the driver from the airport was listing to some small local political show from Utah - really not a welcome to Universal at all

On the way back the shuttle was a minute or two early and there were no issues - the driver was very friendly and played standard music - but again nothing Universal themed

Universal really needs to do something to compete with Disney in this aspect - I guess they just dont have the volume - but something a little more professional with welcome and departure videos and not having to book a package to take advantage of it would be much better

In future I'll just use Mears as a solo traveler - you also get access to a cheaper Universal to Disney (and other) day trips as an add on when you book directly with them as well.
If I had family with me I would definitely use Tony Hinds based on what I have hard about him for several years

not having to book a package to take advantage of it would be much better

We booked this transportation with a room only reservation. I know on the website it says with a package, but I called and added it with no problem. We were happy as well with this service.:thumbsup2

If I had family with me I would definitely use Tony Hinds based on what I have hard about him for several years

Tony is wonderful!! Great service and such a special man!:)

I'm curious why people spend hundreds on a car service when you can Uber for 35.00 dollars?

I don’t. I spend $15 more (than Uber) to book a car service. I was originally traveling with just my daughter and mom and felt more comfortable booking Tony. I knew he would help me with my bags, I can book ahead of time and I know exactly where he will be and if I’m late early he will be there. $15 more for convenience and my piece of mind was worth it. It’s only $15 more?
I’m also booking a car service when we arrive at my home airport. It will be late and the extra $ was worth it....I think it will end up being about $18 more than Uber. Also worth it

I'm curious why people spend hundreds on a car service when you can Uber for 35.00 dollars?

I pay roughly 30 dollars more by using Tony than I would with Uber. For that $30, I get someone who meets me at baggage claim, helps with the luggage, is friendly and personable, and most importantly, the peace of mind of having a ride with someone I trust versus a complete stranger.

We will be booking with Tony for our trip as well. If it was just two of us, I'd use Uber. But it will be 4 of us with suitcases and bags. He gets great reviews here. We'd love a grocery store stop. Considering we would have to book XL Uber to get to Universal and back to the airport again, it would be a similiar or only slightly more to book with Tony.

As other people have mentioned, it is about $50 more (including the tip) to use Tony than to use Uber. When I consider that I get a grocery stop with that (hence saving $$$ on breakfast and alcohol), financially it is a draw.

However, that is only half of it. Through the past few years, meeting Tony (or one of his drivers) at the airport is like a huge "welcome to vacation" for me and feels incredibly luxurious. You have a driver that meets you at luggage claim, helps you with your bags, and you get to head directly out to their van that is parked nearby. Flight delay, super stupid early or late flight - they are there for you.

But there is more to it! When you are one of Tony's clients, you get service that can't be beat. Example - on my last trip, there was an issue with our return trip to the airport. There was an accident on the highway and Tony was running late to pick us up. He called me to let me know and said to take a taxi as he didn't want us waiting for him AND he had another pick-up at the airport that he didn't want to be late for. It was fine, things happen! I called for a Lyft (I had the app on my phone since we used to/from Disney for a Halloween party) and it was there within a few minutes. The driver was okay, but it was a simple transaction to him. There was no conversation, no personality. The whole time Tony kept in contact with me via text to make sure that we had transportation and he was going to meet us at the airport. When we got there, he was waiting for us, took our bags inside and made sure that we were okay. THAT is customer service and someone who CARES and why people rave about him on this board. Also, despite arguing with him (or trying to), he refunded our entire trip including the tip that I gave for the trip to the hotel. He totally did NOT have to that (and he will be getting some of it back the next time we see him).

For my upcoming January trip to Universal, we are going to wind up renting a car (we have two 3:30 a.m. trips to Disney for races) and one of the hardest things about it is going to be not seeing Tony waiting for us at the airport.

I just booked Tony for our upcoming trip. Thank you to everyone who recommended him. I am happy that we will have a van to ourselves and also get a grocery stop for even less than booking through Universal. I believe I read that on here that I give him (or the pick up driver) only 1/2 of the intended gratuity because someone else may pick us up at the end of the trip, is that true? I want to do what everyone else does. And do you tip 20% or 30%. I am more inclined to do 30%.

Thanks!

I just booked Tony for our upcoming trip. Thank you to everyone who recommended him. I am happy that we will have a van to ourselves and also get a grocery stop for even less than booking through Universal. I believe I read that on here that I give him (or the pick up driver) only 1/2 of the intended gratuity because someone else may pick us up at the end of the trip, is that true? I want to do what everyone else does. And do you tip 20% or 30%. I am more inclined to do 30%.

Thanks!

I tip both ways because you can get a different driver. I tip around 30-35%. I think Tony's service is amazing and like the other posters said, he's a wonderful man! He waited at the airport with us for over two hours on our September trip. Lightning halted the bags from being unloaded from the plane. He happily stayed with us.

Thank you for the information on pricing. Guess Uber would be about half, but for those not comfortable with Uber, great to know a reliable service!:goodvibes:thumbsup2

Uber was actually about $80 for us RT as we had luggage, 3 adults and one child so we had to get an XL and then with tip it was almost $90.
I agree with PP, if it was just me and my husband I would probably get an Uber and save the extra few bucks but with over two or three people (with luggage) Tony just makes the most sense economically.

When I do a 3 leg ride, I tip each driver
30%

Tony does not do the night shift and I usually get Ron during that time period

I tip him 35% when I have a 2:00 am pick up
On my return flight in October, the delta counter was not open at 2:30 am

Ron went into the terminal with me and found an employee to get info on why the delta counter was not staffed

He stayed with me until he knew when an employee would be there

He did not leave me until he was aware staff was on their way

You don’t find many companies that the employee will go the extra mile to help like this

Just back from a solo long weekend trip and I used the Superstar shuttle, I wasn't in a hurry and it was reasonably priced for just one person.
Booked a room only reservation, wasn't asked about a package.

Check in at the airport was pleasant and the shuttle was waiting once I went outside. After boarding the van we left in about 5 minutes and stopped at HRH, Cabana beach and then Safire falls where I was staying. Driver was quiet and courteous, helpful with the bags and put on a family friendly movie on the TV.

Similar trip on the outbound, I left from HRH, the van was on time and stopped at Cabana Bay on the way to the airport. Pickup was 2 3/4 hours prior to my flight departure time.

I will be using a town car for my next two trips as there will be 3 of us and we want the grocery stop but with a party of one or two I would try the shuttle again.

Universal really needs to do something to compete with Disney in this aspect - I guess they just dont have the volume - but something a little more professional with welcome and departure videos and not having to book a package to take advantage of it would be much better

My only experience with the Magic Express was pretty lame - we waited almost two hours in really long lines at the airport to finally get on our bus. Even with the aspect of it being "free transportation," I don't think I'd use ME again. I'd rather pay the money to get my vacation going right away!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!