Transportation to Universal? Prime Time Shuttle?

getnthinr

DIS Veteran
I know I can get a Grayline Tour to Universal (free right now with paid park admission), but has anyone used other options -- like Prime Time Shuttle? I'm thinking we'd want to get there when the park opened (or slightly before) -- which I think Grayline doesn't do -- and I'd like to stay late enough to eat and shop at Citywalk. I'd rather not drive in traffic in an unfamiliar place, so it would seem a shuttle or cab would be the only other options.

Has anyone used something liek that? Any info/opinions on fees, options, whatever would be most appreciated.

Where would you be traveling from?

If from within Los Angeles, you might be able to take the Metro (subway), which only costs $3 for a day pass and has a station right across the street from Universal Studios.

I'd be traveling from Paradise Pier in Anaheim, which I've heard is about an hour away from Universal.

Hello!

I am in the same boat! My mum and I are going and we arnt sure if we are going to do the Greyline ticket or not. Doesnt make much sense if you want to go earlier and stay later for the city walk.

With the convenience of a free ride there, it seems like an waste of money to buy a full price ticket and not get to spend a full day there. Its a lot of money to throw away.

If you find out the pricing, let me know. I've emailed some companies already. I will post when I hear back.

This is pretty much your only public transportation option.

Take the Metro Express Bus 460 from Harbor Blvd/Disneyland East Main Shuttle ENT (SW corner) to Figueroa St./Wilshire Blvd. (NE corner) the fare one way is $2.25 and the express makes few stops (including Knotts Berry Farm if you want to go there, this would also be the bus to take).

Then you'll walk to the 7th St. metro Center Station (not sure where it is exactly, I'm going by a website, but I think it's near that intersection, the bus driver would know), and take the Metro Red line to North Hollywood Station heading west line (there's two red lines there) and you'll get off at the Universal City Station (walk across the street from the exit and take the free shuttle up to USH). The metro ride will cost $1.25.

Here's the catch, you'll be limited to what times you can leave and arrive, and the whole trip will take you up to two hours on heavier traffic days. But that's the cheapest way to get to Universal from Disneyland.

Here's the LA transportation website. http://www.mta.net/default.asp Just type in Disneyland and Universal Studios in the search section, and fill in the other fields, you can also surf around on the site for other options.

Hope that helps. Although it's not ideal, the public transportation system out here is not terrible. I wouldn't ride it by myself at 1am, but during the day it's pretty safe. :sunny:

If it were me, I'd go Greyline's direct bus or get a rental car for the day.

Hey thanks thats awesome,

I am still waiting on replys from the shuttle places, but yeah, im thinking that Grayline will be the way to go. They have 2 different departure times 9:15 and 11:30 or something like that, and Universal doesnt open till 10 anyway. So if I miss a half hour of park time its no biggie, we also get options for pickup wich is like 6:00 or 6:30 which isnt too bad as the park closes at 7.

The only downfall is that if you wanna do the city walk after the park closes, its gonna be a hassle. But im planning on going for 2 days to Universal with the grayline package, so I may have the advantage so I can see the city walk and other things I missed the previous day, on the 2nd day im there.

Whatever you decide, have a blast!!! I'll still keep you posted with the shuttle prices once I get them.

There's an Amtrak station 3 miles from Disneyland. You'd probably have to pay $7 for a cab from your hotel, so $14 round trip. Then Amtrak is a 40 min ride to Los Angeles, $19 round trip. You switch at Los Angeles Union Station to the Red line subway for a 20 min trip up to Universal and it is $2.50 round trip. So total for two people using train and metro would be close to $60 round trip. (Last Amtrak from Union station is 10:10pm so you'd have to leave Citywalk on the subway by 9:30pm)

Not sure how this compares to Prime Time Shuttle but I'd imagine Prime Time is about $80-$90 round trip for two people?

The free bus to Universal requires a full priced $59 Universal ticket and any other transportation does not. 2 people could use the $15 coupons in the Sunday papers and save $30 this way towards the price of the other transportation. So take $30 off the $60 Amtrak round trip if you have coupon, basically. (It would only be costing you $30 more than the free bus, for two people).

Of course, a big advantage to Amtrak/ Subway is that you don't have any chance of getting caught in traffic, which on weekday mornings from Anaheim to Universal can be horrendous. And this is the time of day that most people would want to travel to Universal.

MadeToLove said:
. . . Then you'll walk to the 7th St. metro Center Station (not sure where it is exactly, I'm going by a website, but I think it's near that intersection, the bus driver would know) . . .

The station is on the northeast corner of Figueroa Street and 7th Street. It is not clearly marked, but you'll see the signs for HSBC bank. Take the escalator down for the Redline.

Woody

tracys2cents said:
. . . Then Amtrak is a 40 min ride to Los Angeles, $19 round trip. . .

The Amtrak is comfortable and dependable. There is a AAA discount if tickets are purchased online in advance.

Woody

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter