Travel Agent or Disney

Carie Baker

Mouseketeer
In the pass I've always book directly through Disney for both the World and the cruise line. I've been emailing with a travel agent... Magic for less and they book directly through Disney as well so pricing isn't different but they do all the watching for discounts and help with dining reservations and transportation at no additional cost. I'm wondering if I should go that way... it would be nice to know someone else is watching my back so to speak with our trip in March.

Anyone else use a travel agent or used this one? Any thoughts?

I'm using a Disney Authorized TA for our Alaska cruise because she offers an OBC that's 5% of the cost of our cruise. We can use that money to help pay for the gratuities. She's also been on each DCL ship several times, so she can give us tips.

I booked our upcoming Aug Alaska cruise while on board our Cozumel cruise last April which gave me a discount rate and obc which was nice. Our cruise in March I just booked directly with DCL b/c it's a specialty cruise. I didn't want to miss out. I looked yesterday and people who are booking inside cabins now for our same March cruise are paying about $1500 more than I'm paying for our room with 2 windows. WOW. I don't think I'd pay that much for an inside room even on the Fantasy with magic portholes.

I booked our upcoming Aug Alaska cruise while on board our Cozumel cruise last April which gave me a discount rate and obc which was nice. Our cruise in March I just booked directly with DCL b/c it's a specialty cruise. I didn't want to miss out. I looked yesterday and people who are booking inside cabins now for our same March cruise are paying about $1500 more than I'm paying for our room with 2 windows. WOW. I don't think I'd pay that much for an inside room even on the Fantasy with magic portholes.

I booked a placeholder onboard to get the $200 OBC for a 7 night cruise and the 10% discount on the cruise. Then, I transferred the placeholder to a TA. Shortly afterwards, I moved the placeholder to the Alaska cruise. So, I'm getting a $200 OBC from DCL and a 5% OBC from my TA, plus the 10% discount on the cruise and I only had to put down a 10% deposit (rather than a 20% deposit).

Wow, that's a lot for an inside cabin.

I booked a placeholder onboard to get the $200 OBC for a 7 night cruise and the 10% discount on the cruise. Then, I transferred the placeholder to a TA. Shortly afterwards, I moved the placeholder to the Alaska cruise. So, I'm getting a $200 OBC from DCL and a 5% OBC from my TA, plus the 10% discount on the cruise and I only had to put down a 10% deposit (rather than a 20% deposit).

Wow, that's a lot for an inside cabin.
On Board Credits are a great reason to use a TA for DCL.

I haven't ever used one before, but I will next trip (doing the same thing, I'll book a placeholder, then transfer it).

I have used a TA for both WDW trips. She is wonderful and it is helpful having so,done that really knows what she is doing make the reservations.

I really enjoy the researching and planning process, so my inclination is not to use a TA. However, there are some benefits in some instances. I would use a TA if:

1) I didn't want to make dining reservations myself.
2) I knew I wasn't going to be watching closely enough to spot a better discount.
3) I was going on a cruise, and the TA offered an incentive that made it worth it.

I use one. This will be our 2nd trip, so I'm still learning the ropes. My agent is my online friend, so I'm helping her out as well. She is a Disney expert, so it's awesome working with her.

I have done it both ways in the past. The TA that I used was fantastic, though I chose to make my own ADRs, because I really enjoy the planning part of it.

Now that I have a few trips under my belt, I prefer to make my own reservations. The only reason that I choose to do it that way, is because I always have the fear that my TA will have too many other priorities and might miss something!

If you know that your TA will be right on top of things, I'd say go that route - especially if you can get a discount! All the TAs here are fine with the client taking any level of control that they want; making ADRs and excursion reservations. I'm not sure if your TA would make those kinds of reservations on your behalf - but if you trust them, I can't think of a reason NOT to.

Ok, I've been trying to use context clues to figure it out, but I can't. I know what MDR means, but what does ADR mean? Advance Dining Reservations?

This question haunts me! o_O I used a TA when we went 2 yrs ago. I'm not using one now (yet... Although I might)
Reasons why I loved a TA:
1) she played around w/my hotel room to get me the best rate. 2) she watched & snatched a discount 3) She sent a box of gifts for me and my boys 2 weeks before we left
Reasons why I disliked a TA:
1) I had to email her everytime I wanted to make a payment & felt like I was being a pain
2) I had horrid anxiety that she would run away w/my WDW money when she would go a week without returning an email
3) Felt I had zero control of my reservation
Reason why I might use a TA again: I will end up @ a meeting when Discounts are released and totally miss out!!
:rolleyes:

I've also done both, and am very comfortable with all the booking ins & outs. I have a pretty good idea of when discounts come out, and am constantly tweaking our dining reservations! My hesitation with using one was also the loss of control, and not seeing the need for one. However, now that I have used one for 3 or 4 trips I will say that I doubt I will ever book another vacation without one. Here are the reasons;

• I woke up one morning to an e-mail from her that she had applied a discount to our reservation BEFORE I even knew it had come out... It was her time spent on the phone w/ Disney reservations updating it.
  • Last April while at HS we were having a great time, and didn't want to leave for our 1:15 reservation at Beaches N' Cream... I texted her to see if they had anything later, she texted right back she would check. 10 minutes later I got a text back with a new reservation time of 4pm! She was on the phone, or online with Disney dining while I was enjoying my time in the park.
  • She books all the phone reservations for me (firework cruises, BBB, etc).
  • I'm helping out a friend with her business at no cost to myself.
To me it's the best of both worlds... she does all the 'phone' time with the mouse that I don't have time for, she is available with my last minute changes, etc. I get to tweak & control my dining & FP's, etc. The caveat to this is obviously working with someone you trust, and who is available to do those things.

It's beneficial for me to use one for the parks, because times have changed dramatically since I've gone to the parks over a decade ago. I have no clue how to vacation at the parks today. lol

I am using a TA for our cruise for the onboard credit and it's our first cruise. I did use a TA for our first trip to Disney but for our second trip last year I didn't. The TA that I used for our first trip to Disney is helping me with our cruise. She's great.

I am using a TA this time. I did our off-property Christmas trip last year and it was a lot. I'm ok with booking ADRs, but I like having someone watch for discounts.

I think it is completely up to you. I have done both and for the past few years I have always gone directly through Disney. I know where we eat, what tickets we want, what parks and special events (if any). Now with the My Disney Experience app it's easy to change dining reservations right from my iphone...no middle man needed.

I use a travel agent, but I do all of the work because I'm a planner and like to control our vacations. The reason I use my agent is because she's a good friend, and I want her to get the commission. It costs me the same whether I use her or not, so I like for her to make the money from our trips.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!