Travel Changes?

Just received the below e-mail from Quark. Kudos to them for how they are handling the situation.

I want to thank you in advance for your understanding and patience as the current situation—that’s impacting every facet of travel—unfolds and changes daily. We’re facing uncertain times—but one thing is certain: Our commitment to you as a member of our Quark Expeditions Polar Family.

We empathize with you and all of our guests whose plans have been disrupted by the COVID-19 crisis. This is why we've created our new Book with Confidence & Rebook Anytime Policy, applicable to our Arctic 2020 season (excludes North Pole):

1. Cancel any time for any reason right up to 24 hours prior to your voyage start date
  2. Risk-free - rebook with 100% Future Travel Refund Credit (FTRC) for deposits or other partial payments at time of cancelation received by Quark Expeditions
  3. Risk-free - rebook with 120% Future Travel Refund Credit (FTRC) for voyages where full payment at time of cancellation has been received by Quark Expeditions
  4. Rebook for free - No rebooking fees
  5. The Future Travel Refund Credit is Transferable*
  6. New and existing Antarctica 2020 bookings receive Extended Payment Terms for voyages up to 60 days prior to voyage
If you require a Future Travel Refund Credit, please complete the form found on the bottom of our COVID-19 updates page, where you'll also find the terms of our Book with Confidence & Rebook Anytime Policy.

Wishing you happy travels in the near future,
Yo Jeff! See the above? That is how it is done when you are "committed to...exceeding guest expectations and delivering long-term business growth."

Update on my situation with Scott Dunn. I spoke with a supervisor based in the US today and she let me know that they are okay to postpone my PIF until April 24th.

She said that if I cancel today then I will lose my deposit. Or I could re-book for a later date, which I am not able to do. Their terms and conditions say if they cancel (the trip) they have to refund my deposit. She did say that they are working with customers who are due to travel in 2 weeks. At this point I am going to wait until April 24th and will re-evaluate. It has been a hassle dealing with them (due to the lack of communication), but the supervisor was really nice and was clearly stressed dealing with the fallout in the travel industry.

So AmaWaterways has suspended their river cruise operations through May 31 as of 10pm last night. I'm pretty sure that means ABD is going to have to cancel my ABD river cruise. No ship, no cruise (my Rhone cruise starts [started] May 14).

https://www.amawaterways.com/travel-updates

I wonder how long it will take ABD to cancel?

Sayhello

Sorry to hear that. I’m booked on the ABD Danube River Cruise the end of June and I’m just waiting see how long it will take ABD to cancel. Like you, I just started going directly to the AmaWaterways website to see what info they had. The last time I looked, they had canceled river cruises through mid April. That was maybe last week. So they are definitely being proactive and keeping track of what’s happening overseas. Since my trip isn’t until June, I know it’s not a priority right now. I’ve already decided I’m going to switch my reservation to next summer once ABD cancels. I was thinking about trying to do the South Africa ABD in December, but I’m not sure everything will be better by then.

Last edited:
It's official now. My TA just got the call from ABD, my ABD Rhone river cruise has been canceled. :(

I was offered to move my funds to another Rhone river cruise, another Adventure altogether or cancel for a refund. I chose the cancel for a refund. I just don't want to have to worry at this point about what to move to, when to move it to, will things be better then, etc. Plus, my trust in ABD is pretty shot. The fact that they waited until AmaWaterways canceled the ship out from under them to pull the plug on a trip that was *obviously* not going to go and obviously *should not* go, really leaves a bad taste in my mouth. My heart is broken for so many different reasons. :sad1:

Sayhello

Last edited:

Our Greece May 8th departure is no longer listed on the website, however it has not been canceled (per ABD). I have no desire to head to Europe in early May. Additionally, this is no longer a good time for me to be absent from work.

I am needed here at home seeing patients and helping with the State of Florida’s response. We just rolled out our drive-through testing facility in Jacksonville, which I am helping oversee. I am really hoping at this juncture ABD cancels and will provide us a refund.

Last edited:
Our Greece May 8th departure is no longer listed on the website, however it has not been canceled (per ABD). I have no desire to head to Europe in early May. Additionally, this is no longer a good time for me to be absent from work.

I am needed here at home seeing patients and helping with the State of Florida’s response. We just rolled out our drive through testing facility in Jacksonville which I am helping oversee. I am really hoping at this juncture ABD cancels and will give us a refund.
I think people in the Medical profession, working to help folks in this time of crisis, should totally be given special consideration by ABD. You are needed, and your sacrifices should be rewarded with consideration.

Sayhello

It's official now. My TA just got the call from ABD, my ABD Rhone river cruise has been canceled. :(

I was offered to move my funds to another Rhone river cruise, another Adventure altogether or cancel for a refund. I chose the cancel for a refund. I just don't want to have to worry at this point about what to move to, when to move it to, will things be better then, etc. Plus, my trust in ABD is pretty shot. The fact that they waited until AmaWaterways canceled the ship out from under them to pull the plug on a trip that was *obviously* not going to go and obviously *should not* go, really leaves a bad taste in my mouth. My heart is broken for so many different reasons. :sad1:

Sayhello

I really hope ABD is listening here. It should greatly disturb them that they're losing the trust of such a diehard like you, Sayhello.

Can I ask what date is the Rhone River cruise cancelled ? I am going on the june 11 one... Is it that one ? Thank you for the answer...

I totally agree. I'm so sad for you @sayhello :( Hugs from us.
Total agreement here as well!

It’s like the magic is gone for many of us and that is a sad time indeed. Disney is losing some of their best brand ambassadors.

I’m assuming that most of you are like my family, always hyping up Disney to friends and family (probably to an annoying degree LOL). We’re who they ask for advice for their Disney trip-where to stay, what to see, how to avoid crowds, how does this fast pass thing work, etc?

We’re the best salespeople they’ve got and it feels like they don’t care anymore. Mickey and Minnie please say it isn’t so.

I just received an e-mail from the supervisor at Scott Dunn to re-cap our conversation (below). I'm on hold with Chase now to file a claim. It's clear that if the trip has to be cancelled they are going to use this clause to not refund my money. The clause is so broad it could literally mean they can cancel for anything and not have to refund my money. Sad that such a renowned company is taking this approach.

Thank you for your call today.

As promised I recap that I agreed that you would be able to not pay your final balance until 24th April 2020. At the 30 day before travel mark (24th April) we will re-assess. We can re discuss postpontment or cancellation. As mentioned your deposit is non refundable since we have already have committed costs but you may be able to claim on travel insurance for the deposit subject to the terms of your travel insurance, if applicable.
Regarding our terms and conditions, I do want to draw you to clause 10, regarding our responsibility. “We and our Suppliers assume no responsibility for any personal injury, property damage, or other loss, accident, delay, inconvenience, or irregularity which may be occasioned by reason of any matter beyond our or our Suppliers’ exclusive control including but not limited to a delay or cancellation of a flight that causes you to miss all or any portion of the Tour, acts of God, acts of government, war, terrorist acts, riots, disaster, weather extremes, or strikes.”

Until then, I will remain your point of contact. Stay safe and well in these highly changeable times.

May 14. AmaWaterways has halted operations through May 31. So it's unknown if your June 11th cruise will end up affected or not.

Sayhello

I honestly don't see travel being feasible until at earliest August, probably later. I'm under a stay at home order in CA right now which is likely to last 8 weeks minimum. They are predicting 50% of the state could be infected in 8 weeks time. If that happens, this is not getting better for a long long long time.

I am hoping on this thread now. I have an ABD scheduled for May 16th (Hollywood/Disneyland), for which I am holding out hope. I know its a dwindling chance, but you never know!

As a CA resident, I can honestly tell you, it would take a miracle for a May 18th trip to run. We will probably still be under a shelter in place order at that point. They are saying 25 million Californians could be infected by that time. I think the chances of this running have dwindled away, tbh. Not trying to be a buzzkill, just a realist. If you get the chance for a refund on this, take it. And I wouldn't reschedule yet.

Our May 17 Rhine River Cruise was cancelled. My TA hasn't been notified yet but will request a full refund for us. Still have to wait awhile to cancel our airfare, airlines are swamped - we bought insurance for both the flight and the trip so hopefully we can get our airfare back too!

I agree too - I am so sorry about the trip and all of the trust lost in ABD. I also feel very bad for all of the wonderful Adventure Guides that I have kept in touch with and how this impacts them.

I agree with you hillary about the guides. I'm sure other tour companies such as Tauck would welcome such wonderful guides especially in Tauck's Beridges Programs.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!