Travel Changes?

Nat Geo just called to cancel our Alaska trip. I was expecting it, since they called two weeks ago to explain what my options would be if they did cancel.

They call everyone individually, so there won't be any mass email that goes out about their trips.

Said it will take 2-3 weeks for a refund, which will be to my cc. I really don't want a $14k credit on my account, so I'm going to see if they will issue a check when the refund comes.

Rebooking, even for NEXT summer, isn't even an option because the school calendar is basically no longer valid and there is all sorts of talk of changing things that may include starting school on Aug. 1 2020 and going until the END of June 2021.
My credit card has never had an issue in the past cutting me a check for any credits (or overpayments) I've had on my accounts.

Sayhello

I am going to take the refund from our Japan trip. It will be interesting to see how they give me my refund because I paid using 2 different credit cards.

I am going to take the refund from our Japan trip. It will be interesting to see how they give me my refund because I paid using 2 different credit cards.

If you get a refund, it will go back to the original method(s) of payment. So, if you broke up the payments on 2 cards, the refund will return to those 2 cards. That's how all merchants have to do it, not just ABD.

We are on a late September Southwest Splendors tour. I'm hoping it will work, but going to hold off buying our flights for a while longer.

That one will be interesting to see if it goes. The US trips have 2 less hurdles that overseas trips have - the US State Dept Level 4 travel advisory (advising against all unnecessary foreign travel) and any foreign governments ban or quarantine requirements on incoming travel. I'm just reading the tea leaves here as Pete would say, but I'm guessing there will be a period of time where US ABD's resume but foreign ABDs don't.

I hope yours goes too. We have an Oct Backstage Magic ABD. Hope that goes. One of the big hurdles ABD is going to have in Sep and Oct is a likelihood of social distancing staying in place unless the COVID numbers really drop. Not sure that's possible with ABD.

We also have the Rhone in Sept. Unless US trips resume in Aug or the travel advisory changes, I don't think that will go. I'll be very interested to see how River or Ocean cruises plan to deal with social distancing.

Last edited:

Just called. Got right through with less than a minute wait.

Cancelled our two reservations (party of 5) for 7/4/20 Norway for full refunds.
Booked two new reservations for 7/3/21 for exact same price.

Bummed that we have to wait another year but in the grand scheme of things, no big deal. Glad to have a full refund though!!!

This is a great thread - very therapeutic, if nothing else :)

We live in Canada and have been on a number of great ABD trip over the years. But I have never really known much about 'placeholder status'. Can someone explain this for my situation? Here's the deal:

We booked ABD Greece for end of May 2020 that was PIF for 3 adults. When that trip was cancelled back in March, we immediately re-booked the same trip for the end of Aug 2020. In hindsight, that was supremely dumb and we should have just taken the credit or refund and then cooled our heels until at least 2021. Anyways, what's done is done.

We have decided that we are not comfortable taking this trip in August. I know Greece is planning to open tourism starting in July, but it will not be business-as-usual and there will be a safety factor. If I'm going to pay thousands on a vacation, I'd rather it feel like vacation. So I believe I have a few options:

1. Cancel the trip right away and the PIF amount goes into placeholder status. As I understand things, I would need to book a trip by May 2021 and this would be a one-time thing. I would not receive any discounts for that trip and I could not cancel that trip without the 75%-100% penalty I would face if I outright cancelled my current trip. So I could use this and book the Greece trip for maybe Sept 2021 and hope/expect things would be closer to normal by then.

2. Cancel the trip right away and get a minimal-to-no refund, and then use my OYO trip insurance to cover my costs. My policy was purchased before the Canadian government issue a non-essential travel advisory, so that is how would justify a claim (and then cross my fingers).

3. Simply wait it out and see if ABD cancels the Aug Greece trip and then take the refund (or maybe credit) for future travel. I'm guessing any cancellations for August (if they happen) would not be announced until maybe mid-June. And there's also the risk that Greece will not allow US and/or Canadians into the country this Summer as part of the re-opening plans, so that might decide things for ABD anyways.

Sorry for the long-winded preamble, but here's my question: How does the deadline work to move PIF cost into placeholder? Can I wait until literally the last minute to do this, or is there a drop-dead timeline before the trip date? My inclination is to wait it out (option #3) with a backup plan to use placeholder (option #1) if ABD does not cancel. Like others on this thread, I'm trying to balance the fact that we are not taking this trip in August with the financial hit we may take for canceling.

Any advice on this?

And if you made it this far through my post, I thank you! lol

As postscript: The reason we chose Greece was really my son. He graduated college last year and, as a celebration of that milestone, our gift to him was the choice of a vacation. He chose Greece, and ABD checked the most boxes for what he wanted to see in the time he has available to travel. No matter what, we will take him to Greece - just a question of 'when'!

Last edited:
I would honestly await ABD to cancel Greece on you. Because they cancelled the first one on you, you would move what you have now to placeholder status. But that is where I am now and it is awful. I can't wait to either take this placeheld trip in August or have it cancelled. You will miss all incentives for Greece for 2021.
If this were me, I would rebook 2021 now on it's own reservation say for August 2021 taking advantage of early discount. You will have up until your PIF date (april?) to pull the plug and get your deposit back.

THEN this current reservation you have sit on it and wait for ABD to cancel. You will get full refund and the above Greece trip you booked remains on the books.

THEN if for some crazy reason you take the trip this August you cancel the above trip.

I really don't forsee ABD taking you to Greece in August. I would hang tight for the cancel but at least have that back up trip booked to get early discount for 2021

We live in Canada and have been on a number of great ABD trip over the years. But I have never really known much about 'placeholder status'. Can someone explain this for my situation? Here's the deal:

We booked ABD Greece for end of May 2020 that was PIF for 3 adults. When that trip was cancelled back in March, we immediately re-booked the same trip for the end of Aug 2020. In hindsight, that was supremely dumb and we should have just taken the credit or refund and then cooled our heels until at least 2021. Anyways, what's done is done.

We have decided that we are not comfortable taking this trip in August. I know Greece is planning to open tourism starting in July, but it will not be business-as-usual and there will be a safety factor. If I'm going to pay thousands on a vacation, I'd rather it feel like vacation. So I believe I have a few options:

1. Cancel the trip right away and the PIF amount goes into placeholder status. As I understand things, I would need to book a trip by May 2021 and this would be a one-time thing. I would not receive any discounts for that trip and I could not cancel that trip without the 75%-100% penalty I would face if I outright cancelled my current trip. So I could use this and book the Greece trip for maybe Sept 2021 and hope/expect things would be closer to normal by then.

2. Cancel the trip right away and get a minimal-to-no refund, and then use my OYO trip insurance to cover my costs. My policy was purchased before the Canadian government issue a non-essential travel advisory, so that is how would justify a claim (and then cross my fingers).

3. Simply wait it out and see if ABD cancels the Aug Greece trip and then take the refund (or maybe credit) for future travel. I'm guessing any cancellations for August (if they happen) would not be announced until maybe mid-June. And there's also the risk that Greece will not allow US and/or Canadians into the country this Summer as part of the re-opening plans, so that might decide things for ABD anyways.

Sorry for the long-winded preamble, but here's my question: How does the deadline work to move PIF cost into placeholder? Can I wait until literally the last minute to do this, or is there a drop-dead timeline before the trip date? My inclination is to wait it out (option #3) with a backup plan to use placeholder (option #1) if ABD does not cancel. Like others on this thread, I'm trying to balance the fact that we are not taking this trip in August with the financial hit we may take for canceling.

Any advice on this?

As postscript: The reason we chose Greece was really my son. He graduated college last year and, as a celebration of that milestone, our gift to him was the choice of a vacation. He chose Greece, and ABD checked the most boxes for what he wanted to see in the time he has available to travel. No matter what, we will take him to Greece - just a question of 'when'!

We just put our August 9 Rhine Cruise deposit into placeholder statues. I have until two years after I made the initial deposit to book our next ABD, so I have until early January 2022 to book. At that point, I can book any trip ABD has released, but I cannot take advantage of any discounts that may be offered.

Well, I decided to take the refund from this year's trip to Japan and put it on a trip to Japan next year. I actually got the early booking discount this time so I saved money. I had paid for the after trip to Tokyo Disney that is being refunded to me now as that can't be booked until late December early January. I can still cancel this new trip for a full refund until my PIF in March. I am happy with my decision to re-book.

We just put our August 9 Rhine Cruise deposit into placeholder statues. I have until two years after I made the initial deposit to book our next ABD, so I have until early January 2022 to book. At that point, I can book any trip ABD has released, but I cannot take advantage of any discounts that may be offered.
can I ask why you didn't wait for ABD To cancel on you? When I spoke with ABD last week they indicated they were taking into consideration the quarrentine that a current country or state may require of someone. She indicated the next rounds of cancellations always start with the river cruises and suspected they were next for August.

Any advice on this?

I agree, wait for them to cancel and get your money refunded. Then you can take advantage of any discounts moving forward with a new booking.

can I ask why you didn't wait for ABD To cancel on you? When I spoke with ABD last week they indicated they were taking into consideration the quarrentine that a current country or state may require of someone. She indicated the next rounds of cancellations always start with the river cruises and suspected they were next for August.
The reason they always start with the river cruises is because AmaWaterways is way more proactive than ABD, and has been cancelling whole months' worth of river cruises months in advance. At that point, ABD has to cancel, because they don't have a ship.

Sayhello

I too am sitting on that same August 9 Rhine Cruise, and am waiting for AbD to cancel it; I expect that to be within the next three weeks as that would take it to around 60 days prior to departure. As it is already a moved deposit from another AbD, I think I need to wait for them to cancel it.

I would honestly await ABD to cancel Greece on you. Because they cancelled the first one on you, you would move what you have now to placeholder status. But that is where I am now and it is awful. I can't wait to either take this placeheld trip in August or have it cancelled. You will miss all incentives for Greece for 2021.
If this were me, I would rebook 2021 now on it's own reservation say for August 2021 taking advantage of early discount. You will have up until your PIF date (april?) to pull the plug and get your deposit back.

THEN this current reservation you have sit on it and wait for ABD to cancel. You will get full refund and the above Greece trip you booked remains on the books.

THEN if for some crazy reason you take the trip this August you cancel the above trip.

I really don't forsee ABD taking you to Greece in August. I would hang tight for the cancel but at least have that back up trip booked to get early discount for 2021
I agree, wait for them to cancel and get your money refunded. Then you can take advantage of any discounts moving forward with a new booking.

Thank-you for the advice! You all make a lot of sense and I will simply wait this out and see what happens.

One last question, if I might. In the (probably unlikely) scenario where ABD did not cancel the Aug 28 Greece trip and I decided to cancel on my own, I assume it's Disney's discretion whether to put me into placeholder status for the cost of trip. For example, if I decide 3 weeks before the departure date to officially cancel, can I expect to get placeholder status (with the associated restrictions on booking a future trip)?

Thank-you for the advice! You all make a lot of sense and I will simply wait this out and see what happens.

One last question, if I might. In the (probably unlikely) scenario where ABD did not cancel the Aug 28 Greece trip and I decided to cancel on my own, I assume it's Disney's discretion whether to put me into placeholder status for the cost of trip. For example, if I decide 3 weeks before the departure date to officially cancel, can I expect to get placeholder status (with the associated restrictions on booking a future trip)?

I know it is hard to wait. We were booked for Japan and it pained me to pay the $40K in full when I felt 98% chance it was going to be cancelled, but I waited them out and got everything back including deposit. The refund came very quickly once cancelled.

But if you PIF, do you lose the chance of changing it into a placeholder? I'm more worried about the trip NOT being canceled.

I put my deposit into placeholder status on our PIF date. I didn't want to PIF ($22K, eek!) and play the wait and see game. I know there is a big chance that that cruise will be canceled (and I keep checking Ama's site to see if they update their cruise suspension date), but I felt more secure having a credit that I can use as late as January 2022 than plunking down $22,000 and keeping my fingers crossed for a full refund. I'll use the credit and I like that I have so much time to make up my mind on how we will use it.

I know it is hard to wait. We were booked for Japan and it pained me to pay the $40K in full when I felt 98% chance it was going to be cancelled, but I waited them out and got everything back including deposit. The refund came very quickly once cancelled.
Curious, how long was “very quickly?” Cancelled our trip last Monday. I’m being patient (they told me it could take up to 60 days for the refund), but it’s always stressful to have $26K just floating around out there!

Curious, how long was “very quickly?” Cancelled our trip last Monday. I’m being patient (they told me it could take up to 60 days for the refund), but it’s always stressful to have $26K just floating around out there!
Ours cancelled last week and I was told the average lately was 6-15 days...but who knows!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter