Travel Changes?

This is a great thread - very therapeutic, if nothing else :)

We live in Canada and have been on a number of great ABD trip over the years. But I have never really known much about 'placeholder status'. Can someone explain this for my situation? Here's the deal:

We booked ABD Greece for end of May 2020 that was PIF for 3 adults. When that trip was cancelled back in March, we immediately re-booked the same trip for the end of Aug 2020. In hindsight, that was supremely dumb and we should have just taken the credit or refund and then cooled our heels until at least 2021. Anyways, what's done is done.

We have decided that we are not comfortable taking this trip in August. I know Greece is planning to open tourism starting in July, but it will not be business-as-usual and there will be a safety factor. If I'm going to pay thousands on a vacation, I'd rather it feel like vacation. So I believe I have a few options:

1. Cancel the trip right away and the PIF amount goes into placeholder status. As I understand things, I would need to book a trip by May 2021 and this would be a one-time thing. I would not receive any discounts for that trip and I could not cancel that trip without the 75%-100% penalty I would face if I outright cancelled my current trip. So I could use this and book the Greece trip for maybe Sept 2021 and hope/expect things would be closer to normal by then.

2. Cancel the trip right away and get a minimal-to-no refund, and then use my OYO trip insurance to cover my costs. My policy was purchased before the Canadian government issue a non-essential travel advisory, so that is how would justify a claim (and then cross my fingers).

3. Simply wait it out and see if ABD cancels the Aug Greece trip and then take the refund (or maybe credit) for future travel. I'm guessing any cancellations for August (if they happen) would not be announced until maybe mid-June. And there's also the risk that Greece will not allow US and/or Canadians into the country this Summer as part of the re-opening plans, so that might decide things for ABD anyways.

Sorry for the long-winded preamble, but here's my question: How does the deadline work to move PIF cost into placeholder? Can I wait until literally the last minute to do this, or is there a drop-dead timeline before the trip date? My inclination is to wait it out (option #3) with a backup plan to use placeholder (option #1) if ABD does not cancel. Like others on this thread, I'm trying to balance the fact that we are not taking this trip in August with the financial hit we may take for canceling.

Any advice on this?

And if you made it this far through my post, I thank you! lol

As postscript: The reason we chose Greece was really my son. He graduated college last year and, as a celebration of that milestone, our gift to him was the choice of a vacation. He chose Greece, and ABD checked the most boxes for what he wanted to see in the time he has available to travel. No matter what, we will take him to Greece - just a question of 'when'!
I've been in your situation 3 times this year. I've had 3 cancelled ABD trips this summer. One I canceled myself and took a placeholder. Two were cancelled by ABD. It was stressful waiting if ABD would cancel but they did, and it was a relief. But I was also willing to go if ABD went and took a big chance hoping for a cancel, but worked in my favor.

If you are not willing to go at any cost, I would take the placeholder. I know at the time that I was waiting for ABD to cancel, I was confident that things will not get better. Right now, things are different in that places are opening up, even though things are not significantly better than when it first closed down. Of course no one can predict what will happen in August, and I would bet that ABD would not risk bringing guests internationally again (due to Australia and London fiasco) with all the travel bans still in place. So you still have a cancellation in your favor since this is an international trip.

So if a placeholder will not have a penalty and ABD will permit it, and you won't have to travel and don't want to, why not take it? Especially since you are willing to take a credit if ABD cancels anyway? I know you won't receive a discount which will amount to about $250-$750 per person, but that might be less loss than cancelling later and getting only 75% back.
Waiting is also a good option as others have mentioned, but if that trip goes, you'll cancel anyway.

Curious, how long was “very quickly?” Cancelled our trip last Monday. I’m being patient (they told me it could take up to 60 days for the refund), but it’s always stressful to have $26K just floating around out there!

Our refund took about 5-7 days, but our trip was in the first group of trips that were canceled.

I still think the smarter play is to wait for cancel correct? I’m assuming if you move this your locked into new date with no early discount ?
Well if they don't cancel you would need to go on the trip. Perhaps they are doing a case by case trip cancellation depending on safety of location??? The flexible 14 day cancel prior to start day is certainly a lot more generous than their previous policies! Way to go ABD!

Well if they don't cancel you would need to go on the trip. Perhaps they are doing a case by case trip cancellation depending on safety of location??? The flexible 14 day cancel prior to start day is certainly a lot more generous than their previous policies! Way to go ABD!

So if my trip leaves August 6th I can drag this out until July 22nd to make the change correct? Seems like easy choice to wait until then to decide unless I’m missing something.

I still think the smarter play is to wait for cancel correct? I’m assuming if you move this your locked into new date with no early discount ?
I believe this is correct because you’d have the same reservation number & thus the new adventure would technically not be “new”. That’s what happened to me when I moved a reservation last year - no EBD on the changed itinerary even though one was available at the time.

I’m holding out for them to cancel, as you note we have until 14 days prior to move it so if they don’t cancel & you’d rather not travel, you could move it then

Yes
I believe this is correct because you’d have the same reservation number & thus the new adventure would technically not be “new”. That’s what happened to me when I moved a reservation last year - no EBD on the changed itinerary even though one was available at the time.

I’m holding out for them to cancel, as you note we have until 14 days prior to move it so if they don’t cancel & you’d rather not travel, you could move it then
Yes, I agree that waiting at least 14 days prior is the best plan!

I just got a pleasant surprise from ABD! My July SoCal/DL deposit was put into displacement status on my PIF date in April and, at that point, I had until December 31, 2020 to use that deposit toward another trip. I got an e-mail today extending that usage date to March 31, 2021! I thought that was a nice gesture! I'm so glad I have a little extra time to figure out how to use the deposit.

I just got a pleasant surprise from ABD! My July SoCal/DL deposit was put into displacement status on my PIF date in April and, at that point, I had until December 31, 2020 to use that deposit toward another trip. I got an e-mail today extending that usage date to March 31, 2021! I thought that was a nice gesture! I'm so glad I have a little extra time to figure out how to use the deposit.
Yay another great news about ABD today!

We have an Egypt ABD coming up in September that we are thinking will most likely get cancelled, but if it doesn't you are saying that we have up to 14 days before departure to cancel ourselves? Where do you see this? I must be missing something.

We have an Egypt ABD coming up in September that we are thinking will most likely get cancelled, but if it doesn't you are saying that we have up to 14 days before departure to cancel ourselves? Where do you see this? I must be missing something.
right now it applies only to trips thru end of august

right now it applies only to trips thru end of august
Yes, it does. I am assuming the September trips will be offered something similar next month so I am trying to understand what is being offered for the August trips. When I look at the ABD website, I see that there is the option for August trips to reschedule. I didn't see anything about being able to cancel up to 14 days before departure.

Yes, it does. I am assuming the September trips will be offered something similar next month so I am trying to understand what is being offered for the August trips. When I look at the ABD website, I see that there is the option for August trips to reschedule. I didn't see anything about being able to cancel up to 14 daybefore departure.
The email I received stated the 14 days. Now a trusted travel agent just told me they will give airfare credit too if u purchased thru them

Yes, it does. I am assuming the September trips will be offered something similar next month so I am trying to understand what is being offered for the August trips. When I look at the ABD website, I see that there is the option for August trips to reschedule. I didn't see anything about being able to cancel up to 14 days before departure.
Here’s the wording in the email I received today for my August AbD departure - mine happens to be a River Cruise —

Our records indicate you are booked on an Adventures by Disney vacation scheduled to depart during August 2020. Adventures by Disney is closely monitoring global developments and following the advice of public health authorities and medical experts. We are also closely tracking guidance from the destinations we visit regarding who they will allow into their countries based on travel history.

With this in mind, we are offering a temporary adjustment to our Adventure Vacation Date Change Policy to provide more flexibility for our guests. Guests currently booked on Adventures through August 31, 2020, can change their reservation and receive a 100% credit to be used toward a future Adventure. Guests may select an alternate Adventure or place their booking on a future hold date by calling a Vacationista at 1-855-223-0025 or 407-566-8345. Guests will have until March 31, 2021 to select a new travel date. This future travel credit is non-refundable and standard prevailing rates will apply.

We ask that guests traveling through August 31, 2020, contact Adventures by Disney at least 14 days prior to their Adventure start date to request a change.

Here’s the wording in the email I received today for my August AbD departure - mine happens to be a River Cruise —

Our records indicate you are booked on an Adventures by Disney vacation scheduled to depart during August 2020. Adventures by Disney is closely monitoring global developments and following the advice of public health authorities and medical experts. We are also closely tracking guidance from the destinations we visit regarding who they will allow into their countries based on travel history.

With this in mind, we are offering a temporary adjustment to our Adventure Vacation Date Change Policy to provide more flexibility for our guests. Guests currently booked on Adventures through August 31, 2020, can change their reservation and receive a 100% credit to be used toward a future Adventure. Guests may select an alternate Adventure or place their booking on a future hold date by calling a Vacationista at 1-855-223-0025 or 407-566-8345. Guests will have until March 31, 2021 to select a new travel date. This future travel credit is non-refundable and standard prevailing rates will apply.

We ask that guests traveling through August 31, 2020, contact Adventures by Disney at least 14 days prior to their Adventure start date to request a change.
Thank you for posting this! It helps me plan for what we will do should the same offer be given to September departures next month.

I think they do this when they are planning to cancel them soon. This way they can keep your money. Best bet Is to wait to see if they will cancel and you can get your money back. No point in having them hold your cash for so long.
For what it’s worth Tauck just cancelled all of August today. So if history repeats itself I think Disney will cancel in another week or so.

I think they do this when they are planning to cancel them soon. This way they can keep your money. Best bet Is to wait to see if they will cancel and you can get your money back. No point in having them hold your cash for so long.
For what it’s worth Tauck just cancelled all of August today. So if history repeats itself I think Disney will cancel in another week or so.
Thanks for this insight - I’m hoping that is the case here as I don’t see things opening up enough for the August trip to happen, and don’t really want to move the trip again. Nothing else I can commit to now with so many things pending on other non-AbD travel.

One more thought - from previous posts, the one thing that seems to be different with the August departures is the ability to move or park the reservation up to 14 days prior to departure. Makes me wonder if they are taking smaller steps, as some countries are starting to relax travel restrictions, to see if the trips might be able to happen after all. Thus, could it take them longer to actually cancel those August departures? Of course any arrival or transition airport quarantines would also have to be lifted for folks to be able to get to their adventures.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter