Travel Door Alarm

rosiejo

<marquee><font color=orange>Wonky Chick</marquee><
We're going to be staying in a 2BR at Kidani with my 7 year old son who is autistic and a bit of an escape artist.

Last year he figured out how to open the sliding doors to the balcony and tried to squeeze through to the next door unit!

I was thinking about taking some portable door alarms with us to alert us if he tries to open any of the doors in the villa - I just wondered if anyone else had ever done this and could recommend an alarm.

My Mom had stroke-related dementia.

You can use one of these (we used it with my Mom to alert us if she got too far down the hall at night)

Wireless Driveway Alert System

You can place the alert unit on the floor, so that if he gets out of bed and breaks the beam, it will sound. The version we bought (several years ago) was QUITE loud, but my husband "muffled" the sound by wrapping the alarm unit in several layers of newspaper and a beach towel, and then putting it into a ziplock bag to hold his wrapping together. Looked weird and lumpy and silly, but it worked!

You can also hang a Christmas bell on the interior Resort room door that would make noise if he tried to leave during the night. Take along some blue painter's tape (won't damage any surfaces in the hotel room) and hang the bell high enough that he can't reach it, but so that the movement of the door will cause it to jingle.

If he is prone to wandering, I'm sure you have already thought about a lanyard with his name + your name and cell phone number, but, those can be removed. Pinning a name tag to his front works until he removes it. Same thing with "safety bracelets" (used for kiddos and Sr's alike); a determined person will just take it off. Some folks will use a Sharpie marker, and write contact info directly on the skin - and this can work for kids, but he might not welcome that. In our case, I simply wrote the information on a 3 x 5 index card, folded it in half, and safety-pinned it to the *back* of my Mom's shirt or dress, typically at about the level of where her bra crossed her back. She couldn't reach it to remove it, and it was visible enough that if she needed help, someone would see it. Write "If I am lost" on the outside.

If you are flying, remember that airports can be noisy, busy, and scary under the best of circumstances. Some kiddos do OK with that, but others can be stressed out by the loud noises (think jet engines backing away from the terminal, the beeping of the carts, etc.) and the stress of TSA checkpoints, so be prepared.

I purchased EMDMAK door stops off of Amazon for use at home. They are loud enough for you to hear even if you are a heavy sleeper.and they are super sensitive. If he even nudges them they will go off. Just search Amazon for “security door stop” and look for the ones with an alarm.

Last edited:

I purchased EMDMAK door stops off of Amazon for use at home. They are loud enough for you to hear even if you are a heavy sleeper.and they are super sensitive. If he even nudges them they will go off. Just search Amazon for “security door stop” and look for the ones with an alarm.
Sounds like that would not be ideal to use in a hotel though?

OP, how about command hooks and something to connect them together at the top of the door so it can't be opened? How many doors are you talking about? Perhaps it would be better to get a single room if too many exit doors would be a safety issue?

I use them in hotels for the opposite effect. I want to know if my door is opening. In the grand scheme of life the few seconds the alarm goes off in order to keep a child safe imho and I’m probably the minority, is ok us some of them have adjustable volume.

I use them in hotels for the opposite effect. I want to know if my door is opening. In the grand scheme of life the few seconds the alarm goes off in order to keep a child safe imho and I’m probably the minority, is ok us some of them have adjustable volume.

The hotel could kick a guest out for setting off a loud alarm, couldn't they? Imagine the panic if other guests heard it and didn't know what it was about? It's a good idea to get one that could be turned down to the volume of a clock alarm.

If the concern is only one door, you might be able to bring a cot or air mattress and place it by the door. Of course, this means someone will have to sleep there instead of the bed. It's a quiet way to control the situation.

All the sensors are pretty loud. I'm not sure how effective it would be if you could turn the volume down on an alarm device.

We have been using this on our hotel room doors and even Disney Cruise stateroom doors for our Autistic son. It links to your phone so your phone alarm goes off along with the device itself if you want so you don’t have to be in the same room as the device. The sound is loud enough for you to wake up but not enough to bother your neighbors. It has a string and also a magnet to stick to what you like it to. We hang it from the door knob of the door and also if the door frame is magnetic we stick it to the frame so when the door opens it pulls off the door frame and then hangs off the door knob. All that bouncing around definitely sets off the alarm. (We do this cause we usually put it on a lighter sensitivity setting so other people slamming their room doors don’t set our alarm off). It doesn’t have a big range for how far you can be from the device but works great in a hotel room and gives us that peace of mind so we can get some sleep too.

Link to the website below:
https://bleepbleeps.com/pages/sammy-screamer-motion-alarm
Link to YouTube video:

Last edited:
Thank you so much for all the advice every one.

@mamabunny- yes he is a wanderer so those additional tips will really help.

@DisneyOma - unfortunately a single room won't work for us - he is a very bad sleeper and we need to keep him separate from his sister (also autistic) who cannot cope with life if she doesn't get enough sleep!

@ArielRay - Wow - that looks just the thing we need! I'm off to take a look.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter