Travel Guard or Royal Caribbean Insurance?

ms.yt

DIS Veteran
I booked a cruise through Costco, and I'm wanting to purchase travel insurance. Is there any particular difference between buying it directly with Royal Caribbean or through Costco's partner, Travel Guard?

Imho, I find them both to be overpriced. I believe travel guard has more generous coverages, but in the end, I shop all travel insurance at insuremytrip. You will find many different plans available at much lower prices with comparable or better coverages.

I always book through Travel Guard versus the ship's offered insurance. Usually because I get the cancel for any reason type policy and that is not cheap for me and my AARP card carrying hubby. But I consider it part of vacation expense. So far we have never needed to make a claim. Leaving for our next cruise on September 1!

I purchased travel guard thru, insure my trip dot com as that’s where I always go when buying travel insurance. I have had to use the insurance and it was a blessing to have.

Regardless where you buy it, buying it sooner rather than later will save you money, and always read thru exclusions.. if you Don’t see it there, you’re covered. I typically choose a policy with pre existent waiver And cancel for any reason and that’s usually not part of a cruise /air plan offered direct. You will be able to look at multiple plans at multiple price points and pick what’s best for you/rs
Happy n safe travels to you!

I use a third party site myself. That way I can get coverage for my full trip, at a coverage level I'm comfortable with.

If you buy through Royal and don't buy flights, hotels, excursions, etc.. through them then you're only covered for the cruise itself.

I always buy through a third party. The last couple of cruises I ended up with C&F Travel Insured. The ended up with the best price for what we needed. It was $50 each for DH and me, and the kids were free.

I agree with shopping around. Personally I ended up getting insurance via TD, but ymmv.

If you have a Gold or Platinum credit card you might want to check it's coverage. I used Travelex last time, but didn't shop around too much to be honest.

I always use insure my trip dot com and find their prices to be much better for better coverage. I’ve had to make a claim once and it was very smooth.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter