• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

travel ins ? and how many of you use it?

BkrsLoveDis!

Mouseketeer
Can anyone give me the pros and cons on the travel insurance - we just made our first DVC ressie and the travel insurance info came with confirmation - need enlightenment!

Thanks!!

:flower:

Any trip insurance you buy will only provide partial protection. For example, unlike most, DVC's travel insurance will reimburse you partially for points lost -- I think it's $5 per point. Your only real protection for your points remains canceling more than 30 days out.

Other travel insurance is available, and will cover most of your non-point costs. Generally, it will reimburse you for any non-refundable deposits - hotel, air fare, rental car, etc. It's very important to read the trip insurance coverages carefully to be sure it will actually cover your risks.

You also have to be aware that virtually all travel insurance has to be purchased a short time after reservations are made -- often within two weeks of the first covered reservation being made. You can't wait until you think you may have a problem and start searching for travel insurance.

I've used Travelguard.com a number of times. They're a big company and have always given me great service. There are a number of other companies.

I don't - at least not for DVC trips.

Best wishes -

We don't purchase it for DVC trips. (The only time we use travel insurance is for a cruise.) :boat:

The main reason we purchase travel insurance (for cruises only) is for the medical coverage in other countries.

We do not use it for DVC trips (we're just driving up from Miami and staying on points, so we really don't need it), but we do use it for ski trips, vacations out of the country, cruises, etc.

We've never purchased insurance for any trip as long as it is in the US. We even went on a 3 day DCL cruise and didn't get it (but I almost needed it!) I'd only get it for a cruise or anything that takes us out of the US. Our health insurance covers us anywhere in the USA.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter