Travel Insurance for Canadians

FigmentSpark

DIS Veteran
Does anyone have any recommendations for travel and medical insurance for Canadians?

I have checked with Blue Cross and was stunned by their cancellation insurance prices. Their medical was cheaper. Furthermore, for 2 weeks, it was going to cost about $900 for coverage up to $4000. Not sure how this is a bargain, as it didn't even include the medical part (which was only around $300).

So, any other suggestions? Are there aggregate companies or websites to compare insurance? Anyone have good luck with their credit card insurance?

I usually buy cancellation through Expedia. It was a little over $200 for our Christmas trip for 4 people.

Check with who you have your home/auto/life insurance through, especially if it's a broker. They can shop around and mine got me cancellation, interruption and baggage loss last year for $45 a person! I already had medical though my ex's company but I'm sure they could shop that too. Worth calling them.

Also check with your credit card. Our Visa includes emergency medical for 15 day and under trips.

Also check with your credit card. Our Visa includes emergency medical for 15 day and under trips.
I did check last year and found they had a limit of what they'd pay. Maybe it's just my card, but I will definitely check them out again.

Back in 2011 I paid for trip/cancellation insurance direct with Walt Disney World as part of our package booking (free disney dining, hotel, tickets). Medical insurance I believe was seperate.. I don't recall..

In any case - just before we could go on our trip (my husband & I - kids were going to stay with the grandparents) my Mom become very ill and was in the hospital. She almost died. We had to cancel our trip. The insurance company through Disney was very good about refunding our already-paid-for flights. We also received a full refund on the on-site hotel & tickets. If you have more questions about it, I can answer them but hubby is waiting for me to watch Game of Thrones.

Again, this was a few years ago. Not sure if it would be the same now.

We're doing a Disney cruise, which is why I'm not happy with the $4000-5000 limits these companies have for cancellation insurance. I haven't looked at Disney insurance, though, because people were saying that it was more expensive than others.

Assuming you're under 60, and your trip is in the 7-14 day range, you can expect the all-inclusive coverage to cost about 10% of the cost of your trip.

I book through manulife now because that's what my travel agency uses, but I've used blue cross in the past for similar prices. If you have a CAA membership I've heard their rates are good as well, though I haven't used them personally.

I remember reading that on another thread from a few months ago. That was one reason why I looked at Blue Cross. I have to say, though, their medical wasn't the expensive part. It was the trip cancellation cost that floored me... without the medical. It was $900 for 4 people for 13 days and the payout capped at $4000. My trip (cruise) is more like $18000, so how do I get the rest covered at a reasonable cost? Realistically, I would only need it if something happened and we weren't allowed on the ship or an emergency prevented us from getting to the ship. Those are low risks, in my mind, but I'm not an actuary, either.

I use travelguard: https://www.travelguard.ca/

You can add medical coverage if you need it, or just do travel insurance (they have specialty cruise packages as well . . . bought for last year's Royal Carribean, and again for this year's Disney). Fairly reasonable prices, I think.

I hope Irma doesn't make me use it later for our upcoming trip.

Even though we do not have an American Express card, I purchased insurance through them for $6000 coverage for one of our Disney cruises and it was about $350 with cancellation and such or 5 people.

I also used Royal Bank Insurance once when I purchased flights to Europe with Air Canada.

We never had to make any claims, so I can't say how that process would have been, but the coverage was good with a reasonable cost.

We get full travel insurance through our BMO World Elite Air Miles Mastercard for $120 per year with cancellation, baggage, medical, air evacuation, etc. We also have our work travel insurance, but that doesn't cover cancellation or baggage.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!