Travel insurance question

Rach3975

DIS Veteran
DH and I are taking our first adults-only trip this fall. My parents will be taking care of the kids during our trip. Although there's no specific reason to think anything will go wrong ahead of time, my parents are in their '70's and things happen. I also wouldn't feel right leaving my parents with sick kids. (My kids are all over 10 and not as prone to frequent illnesses as they used to be, but of course it could happen.)

Does anyone know of a travel insurance that would cover issues like that? I know that many would cover a life-threatening injury or hospitalization, but a less severe injury or illness could still derail our plans. Our trip isn't until November, but we booked it and paid our $200 deposit back in December. I just read something about "Cancel for any reason" coverage, but the article said that most companies required you to buy the insurance and select the "any reason" coverage within a few weeks of making the first deposit, in which case we'd be out of luck.

If we aren't able to find a travel insurance to cover those reasons for cancelling, how accommodating is Disney if we have to postpone a trip last minute? I'm talking postpone it for months, not come a day later. Thanks!

Last edited:
Typically you need a dr certificate stating that the patient can’t travel in order to get insurance to pay. It can’t be for a preexisting condition however the company defines it.

The timing of how much of your cost you get back from Disney depends on how many days left until the cruise. Once you pay the full amount due there is limited time to get it all back and the refund reduces the closer you get to sail date. It’s set out in your contract. Disney may Be accommodating occasionally to help you out but nothing you can count on. If you’re so concerned you need insurance.

If something were to happen you can cancel a hotel room reservation with Disney up to 5 days before your arrival and you will get all of your money back. In the past we have used the travel company called Travelex. It was listed on the Disney Vacation Club web page. The price was I think $80 and covered a whole host of things like immediate family members getting sick. Also depending on when you are going in Nov it is still hurricane season so the weather can also cause issues for your trip. Plus check with your credit card company most have good travel insurance coverage if you use the card to purchase the trip.

Last edited:
I thought November was not hurricane season
We are planning November 9 to November 19
Per weather websites - less rain and temps from 50 - 70 degrees Fahrenheit

We are going your exact same dates. For the past few years we have always gone in early November and haven't given a single thought to hurricanes. The weather has been warm and beautiful for all our November trips to date.

Hurricane season runs June 1st-November 30th.

It's true that is the hurricane season, but Aug-Sept are the months most prone for hurricanes. Being a LA girl, I don't remember right off one ever coming in Nov. Not saying they can't, or haven't, just don't remember any. I wouldn't worry about it. Can still be hot some days though, no matter what weather websites say!! :)

eek - I thought November had less rain
fingers crossed
We did Debbie hurricane back in June 2012.

We moved our dates to Nov 13 to Nov 21, 2020
Maybe we will be lucky - no hurricanes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter