Travel Planning Box

glewis1123

<font color=blue>The Tag Fairy says hi to Glenda a
Morning all

We are taking our two nephews (ages 11 & 14) to WDW in July - they have never been before and we are sooooo looking forward to being able to bring them.

I want to put together a travel planning kit for them for before we leave home.

I've already ordered the free Vacation Planning DVD from the Disney site, and I want to get a set of park maps and maps of the resorts we'll be staying at.

I also want to get them a WDW t-shirt - does anyone know where I can order them online?

I'm also getting them a guidebook - which one do you think would be good - want one with lots of pics

Do you have any other suggestions?

Thanks all

My favorite guidebook for kids is Birnbaum's For Kids. It is written with kids as the target and is a lot of fun. It is very bright and colorful, the descriptions are short and concise, and there are a lot of pictures. It also tells where to find some hidden mickeys on hints spread throughout the book and has games for the kids to play. I think it would be perfect.

I can't help much on the T-shirt thing, but you could consider getting them guest of honor badges. There is a thread on here about people picking them up for each other you might want to check out.

I can't think of much more to tell you, but if I come up with any more ideas, I'll let you know! I'm trying to do similar thing for my 7 yo.

Kristy

Get the Birnbaum's WDW Guide for Kids by Kids ... I bought it last summer and it had lots of neat information (some of which I didn't find in the adult guide books) and very colorful!

You might try www.giftsofalifetime.com for pre-trip goodies.

If you scrapbook or even if not, you might want to make autograph books. They can collect autographs and if the book isn't filled up you can add photos from around the parks. FYI the Disney autograph book's pages are too flimsy to attach photos too.

Get a hinge-strap scrapbook from a Creative Memories consultant or a Westrim from Michael's or another craft store.

HTH, Cheryl

I ordered GOH badges from Gifts of a Lifetime and they do an excellent job of shipping them out right away!!

And you can probably call WDW merchadise and they can send you shirts. I'm sure of the number, maybe someone here that knows the number can it to you or maybe on Disney's site there is a number you can call.

And Birnbaum's Kids Guide is the way to go. Out DD loves reading them.

We bought each of our DD's a Birnbaums for Kids. It has a place in the back for autographs. There are also a few pages with questions. I.e. I arrived at WDW by _____, my least fave ride was _____, my fave character was ____. As for t-shirts, The Disney Store, www.disneystore.com, has great shirts. They have a t-shirt that you can personalize with something like "Smith Family Reunion, June 2003, Port Orleans" Or whatever.

As an aside, last trip we took I could not find a Micky bag anywhere to put the girls goodies in. Hallmark now has a large Mickey gift bag. Bought 4 for our next trip! Another thing the kids all enjoy are the light up twirly things. They have Buzz. Don't know that they carry it on line, but the Disney Store at the mall has them. Another cute thing they carry is a back pack on wheels. It's mesh, great for the pool. That's on line. How about some kind of wallet or passport type holder so they can carry their own guest cards. (They don't have to be activiated, just have their names on it. You get these at check in. At least you used to.) Toys R Us carries Disney Sorry (box has a big picture of Buzz on it), and a Disney Monopoly.

I could go on and on... love to plan surprises! (Waiting for someone to surprise me now! :rolleyes: )

With boys that age it is always a guess as to what will be cool and what will not. I agree that the birnbaums is the best guild for them but I would look at both the kids and adults and then decide which would be best for them. The autographs are also a toss up. Some boys are still into them at this age but many boys are not. My DS is almost 11 and not interested in the autographs and has less interest in the characters now too, though he stills LOVE WDW.
The t-****s are a good idea. The disney catalog has some very cool shirts that you can personalize for your trip. You have to be careful there too .With boys that age as clothes are very important and they are in that stage where a mickey shirt might be cool or might not.
Just in general, they might not act near as excited about stuff as you do, but when it comes down to it, they will have a blast.!!!

Jordan's mom

glweis1123- we are taking two cousins (boy 5, girl 6) in Dec for their first time...and I'm going to steal your idea about the trip planning box ;) what a great idea! they have never been before either.

I hope you will have a great, great trip. If you are a DDL member, they have a postcard exhange list, and you could sign the boys up to get a postcard from "Mickey" saying he can't wait to see them in July. (go to www.disneydollarless.com and join, and then email postcards@disneydollarless.com)

Also, you can go to www.wdwig.com and print out all sorts of neat things about your resort, different parks, etc. And even on the www.disneyworld.com site you can look up the different rides (like Space Mountain, ToT, RNR, etc)

I'm going to get Biernbaums 4 Kids by Kids for our two littles, but since yours are 11 and 14, you might want to get the "Teen" version.

Thanks for the good idea, and I hope you have a wonderful trip with your nephews!

tarralee

TarraLee

Is there really a teen verson of Biernbaums? My DS is almost 11 and would love that. I have never seen one.Thanks for the tip.

Jordan's mom

Great idea about the postcards at Disneydollarless.

I'm also getting some park maps and resort maps of the 2 hotels we're staying at.

Menus from the "special meals" we're doing - like Rose & Crown and Boma's etc.

I'm also going to my local disney store and get pin lanyards and a couple pins to get them started.

Also I'm going to have a surprise waiting in the room when we get there - disposable cameras, refillable mug, autograph book and pen and the Epcot passport.

I'm having so much fun with this!!

How about some kind of wallet or passport type holder so they can carry their own guest cards.
- They have ID holders at most Walmart's in the jewelery dept. or sometimes the fishing dept. They are only .99 each. They have a little zipper pouch on them where the kids could store a little cash if needed. I learned of these from another post on these boards & was able to find them at my local Walmart.

Another idea - glow sticks, necklaces, or bracelets to wear at night. You can get some at the dollar store, or if you want a bunch you can bid on some on e-Bay. Kids of all ages (boys & girls) seem to really like these.

How about a few Disney Dollars?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter