Travel through Airport Security

bmartin1206

Mouseketeer
I am once again posting to offer my help in answering questions that pertain to airport security for passenger screening and baggage screening. The biggest thing I still see is film packed in checked luggage. The machines will generally ruin this film. Don't take a chance and carry it on or put it in a protective bag.

Brian

I bought an aerobed to take with us for my DD. When deflated, it is the size of a regular carryon type bag. It actually has its own bag for that purpose. The aerobed has a motor attached to it that inflates it. Do you think I will have a problem taking this as a carryon item? Will security have a problem with it due to the motor?

I have never had a problem with this in the past, but don't want to take chances. Where would you get a protective bag, how much would they cost and does putting it in checked luggage help at all?

Would it work to put the flim in a small zip lock and ask the guard to hand examine them? (or would they not agree to this?)

Like I said I this is our 8th trip and never had problems in the past, but our pictures is the most important souvenir!!!

DisneyPhD - Sorry it's my daughters log in. I can't get her logged out. This is bmartin1206 from TSA.

Unless you've made 8 trips since the first of the year. Most airports didn't start using x ray and catscans on all bags until the end of January. Even if you've gotten lucky and traveled since then, why take a chance. You cannot replace those memories.

Any photo shop should carry them (the protective bags). I looked on the internet a while back for some sources and it seemed like they ranged from $30.00 - $80.00.

I recommend always carrying film and camera and have it hand checked. You may send it through the xray at passenger screening if the speed is below 800 but be aware this is cumulative so if you put it through the xray vs the hand check at more than 5 checkpoints it may also ruin the film.

Thanks bmartin1206, we leave in 5 days so I am not sure if I will have the time to find the bags, but I will keep all flim and camera with me and ask them nicely to please hand check it. :D . Are digital cameras and or camcorders and video tapes safe to put through the x ray machines?

Our last flight was Dec 2001, so we have not had any experinces with the new x ray equipment. Thanks for the warning, I would hate for anything to happen to our pictures. (What about credit cards, are they ok to go through?) Do you know if security frowns on hand checking items? I don't want to be flaged as a trouble maker and have them pull everything out of all our bags!!!

Thanks again for the advice, not long to go now and sunny WDW here we come!!!!

Digital cameras, camcorders and tapes are all OK. Credit cards are not effected either. Hand checking items are no big deal nor does it label you as a trouble maker. We do it all the time.

Brian

Ok, then what about using space saver bags in our luggage? I m worried that security will want to open them and then poof...triple the stuff to try to repack..

I want to take a "brick" of Gevalia coffee w/ me. It is vacuum-packed in a foil container. I don't want the vacuum pack to be opened. I tried to discuss my concerns w/ Delta, on the phone, but the representative really couldn't understand what I was talking about. Possible language/cultural difference. He never got past the fact that I referred to the coffee as a "brick" Big mistake on my part. He ended up saying no problem, but I just didn't trust his answer, I just wanted to hang up & try to talk to someone else.

bmartin1206- My husband and I just traveled across country with our infant son. I have to say, we had a great experience overall with the new security! It was way more efficient than it used to be (we traveled through LAX, Dallas and Atlanta Hartfield), and the employees were all really friendly. The only minor snag was with our son's carseat. We had purchased a seat for him on the plane and were traveling with his carseat. It didn't fit into any of the x-ray machines and had to be handchecked. This was only a problem in that the TSA employees kept insisting on trying to jam it into the machine. At one point it actually got stuck! On our last run through security on our flight home, I finally just told them up front it wouldn't fit and would need to be handchecked. After attempting to put it through several times, they did finally hand check it.

All in all it was no problem, but something parents traveling with large strollers or carseats may want to be prepared for!

Mrs. Toaster - Glad it was overall a good experience. While we prefer to run everything possible through the xray more than one attempt was certainly un-necessary but glad it worked out. The same is true with strollers but we usually just take them around for inspection.
Here's to safe, fast, friendly travel!

Brian

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter