Traveler's Checks - Help!

steph73

DIS Veteran
I wasn't sure what forum to post this in.......I'm a newbie when it comes to using Traveler's Checks. I've always carried cash on vacation, but we're going to get some traveler's checks this time and I need some information.

1. Can they be used at any store, including grocery stores and restauraunts in and out of The World? And, do they just give you change back?

2. What denominations would you suggest bringing? If I purchase them from my credit union, is there generally a charge for them?

3. Do they ever expire?

Sorry for what seems like probably really stupid questions, but I've never had any experience with using them but those commercials (American Express?) where the woman has her purse stolen on vacation with $700 scared the bejeebers out of DH and I! I definitly don't want to carry that much cash on us for this trip. I also have a debit card with a Visa logo and can use ATM's, but I prefer not to use ATM's because of the fees.

Thanks! Only 3 more days......:bounce:

Travellers cheques are just like money. They can be used anywhere, as long as you have a piece of ID (to verify your signature). They never expire, and as long as you get them at the bank you do your business at, you should have no charge. You should receive cash back (they are not like a GC) and I believe denominations come in $20, $50, and $100. Just ask the bank, I'm sure they will be happy to give you the denominations you want.

Hopefully that helps...

Joline:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

sOME PLACES DO CHARGE A FEE EVEN IF YOU ARE A MEMEBER. i BELIEVE WE WERE CHARGED .50 FOR EVER $100 WORTH WE PURCHASED FROM OUR cCU

Also if you are a member of AAA, some offices do not charge a fee for travellers checks.

By the way, no questions are stupid on this board.

I always have used travelers checks but don't like the inconvenience of them such as having to sign a million of them when I purchase them and signing again when I use them. Anyway, this trip I tried something new through AAA called Everyday Funds Card. You load it with your own money and use it like a Visa credit card. I used it everywhere in WDW. Of course what you use is subtracted from the balance. It worked well for me as I didn't carry but a little cash and the card-it traveled easier than the travelers checks. Of course there are fees to consider and it might not be what's best for you, but if interested see the AAA website.

Like everyone said--they are just like money. You get change back and they never expire. I have never been asked for ID because you sign them once when you buy them and then again when you use them, so people verify your signature by looking at the top.

Make sure you keep track of which ones you spent and leave the traveler cheque numbers with someone at home so if you lose them you have a way of knowing what you had when reporting it (otherwise the benefits of travelers cheques are void).

Every place that I have worked has told me to ask for a piece of ID when I receive a Traveller's cheque to ensure that the signatures match. I don't know if everywhere does that, but just to be on the safe side, maybe just be prepared.

Joline

I have had places ask me for ID and them someplaces don't.

It is a great tip to keep a copy of the travelers check numbers in a couple of places, so that if you lose them you can get them replaced. I usually leave a copy at home and also a copy in my luggage.

AAA offers free travelers checks to members. My credit union also offers them for free but my bank charges for them.

They are very easy to use and I always feel safer having them.

If staying at a WDW resort, either leave an imprint of your credit card or a deposit (could be those travelers checks) at checkin and use your resort key to charge. The only places you can't use the key are the small stands with ice cream, popcorn and the like. Much easier. safer and you get an itemized statement.

We always get the Am-ex ones that two people sign when they are purchased. Then my hubby and I divide them up and it only takes one signature to cash.

This eliminates having only one person being able to use the travellers checks, sometimes an inconvenience if you aren't together all the time.

When we went to WDW last year and before that we used AMEX travellers checks and had no problem whatsoever in the parks. We got them in $20 denominations and when we hit MK went to the bank there to cash some so we would have carry-around money but left most in check form.

The only place I remember being really suspicious and giving us a hard time was outside of the parks at Burger King! We really laughed about that. They all acted as if they'd never seen a travelers check and we were trying to pull a fast one.

But at WDW they were very nice and it wasn't a hassle. FYI I feel a lot safer doing that vs. carrying a lot of cash. And you get the change which is good because you always need actual cash for something.

I also use them on vacation.

Here's another way to "save" on them.

If you are a member of AAA, get the AAA Member VISA card -- there's no annual fee or anything.

Then use that VISA card at the AAA office to buy your traveler's checks. It's treated as a PURCHASE, so no credit card fees, and you get 30-40 days of free float, since you don't have to pay the bill until it comes.

Also, what I do is usually bring, say $200 in 20's. I'll leave all but two of them in the hotel safe. Then I will cash one at the hotel front desk and so if I get pickpocketed, my max. loss is $20.

Other places to cash them:

The suntrust banks in the theme parks will cash travelers' checks even for noncustomers -- no fee.

any hotel front desk will usually cash them for you.

My usual trick is to go to the food court, by a 75 cent item, and hand a $20 travelers check over as payment.

Have a great time! I'm under 5 months away now!

Regards,

Joe Hurley

Just saw where they have a new wrinkle with Travelers checks,NOW both adults can sign all the checks so you have equal use of them all,with only 1 signature need to cash them!!!

We usually each sign half ,well this trip to WDW, I had used all mine to pay for the hotels,so I had to rely on Dh,which is ok,but if I need[diabetic] food it is easier to just buy it, rather than waste precious time explaining while my blood suger continues to drop!!

So,in the future I'll requeat the New ones!!: :earsgirl:

I have been to WDW about 10 or 12 times and have taken $500 in travelers checks each time. I always get $50 ones. I charge almost nothing so that my trip will be fully paid for as I go .... I usually come home with a few t.c. and use them either at the grocery store or on day trips around home. My credit union doesn't charge a fee either.

Getting ones from AAA in September for a trip to Great Britain. You can get them in pounds so you don't have to worry about exchange rates or where to cash ones in dollars.

I always used Traveler's Checks before my bank offered me a Visa Debit card. Now I use the Debit Card and the only time I incur a fee is if I use an ATM to get cash.

One word of caution about Traveler's Checks is that the only place that I have ever encountered a problem in cashing them has been in Florida, and especially if they were in denominations above $20. Inside WDW and including the Disney resorts, no problems, but outside of there, they are often leery of them, even with id. I think the reason for their suspicions is that since Orlando attracts so many tourists, they also have a lot of people that try to Con others. So I would recommend using $20 checks for everything outside of paying for the hotel and then $50s are fine for that.

I remember getting gasoline at a service station in a town just off of the Florida Turnpike and having a problem because the owner of the Exxon station didn't want to accept a Traveler's Check for the 'cash price' because he had to wait 10 days to get the money from his bank, plus he didn't want the risk of taking a forged check. I was able to get $20 in cash together to pay for it, but it was close.

Using the newer checks with two signatures is also a welcome convenience.

I work for Amex Travelers Cheques dept ( Yes that is the proper spelling...lol) I will be honest with you I do not use them!!! why do you ask, well it is because I work for the company and I see the scary stories. But to be completly honest if you are going to take them to WDW you will have no problems. As we all know Disney and Amex have a very good relationship and the TC's are accepted everywhere on Disney Property. Amex will pay anyone who will accept them. What do I mean by that? I mean that every store has there own disgression whether to accept from someone Amex cannot do anything about that. But in the last couple of years that I have worked for Amex TC's I can honestly say that Orlando is the most TC friendly City in the world I rarely have had problems with acceptance.

The other bonus to using them in WDW is that if lost or stolen they can be replaced right on Disney property in a couple of different locations so that you don't have to go find a refund location far away.

Just a few tips to make it easier just incase of they are lost or stolen:

1) I know it is no fun but MAKE SURE YOU SIGN THE TOP SIGNATURE LINE ASAP if you don't Amex can (most likely wont... but still) not refund you for not following the terms and Conditions of the cheques.

2) leave your reciept or purchase agreement with someone you know back home (Family member or very trusted friend) also write down the cheque #'s from the upper right hand corner and keep that with you not necessarally on you but with you on the trip this way when you call after losing or having them stolen you can give the #'s to the rep at amex and it will speed up the refund.

3) If you sign the top you are the only one that can use them so I would suggest looking for a newer product call Cheques for two this way you and your spouse or you and whoever can both sign the top and either of you can then sign the bottom

TC's are very safe I promise and why can you trust me, after all I might just be pitching my product right.... wrong I am actually very upset with the company right now because they laid me off. :mad: but I promise that you will be safe in using them and you will have NO problems using them with the Disney Company... if you have any other questions Please feel free to emil me I will do my best to answer any question you might have.

Phanomouse

Travelers checks are just like money...they can be used in any store, restaurant etc. i would get them in denominations of $20 and $50. Just a little something we've learned over the years...we now just put our money into our checking account and go to an ATM when necessary. They are fairly conveniently located throughout WDW, and they charge a nominal service fee.

Hey pdzbabe...I cant find any info about the Everyday Funds card on the AAA website. Can you give me anymore info?? Thanks!

Hi NoodlestheRabbit! I got it through AAA MidAtlantic. See www.aaamidatlantic.com. Click on the tab at top of screen entitled "Savings." You'll then see a picture entitled "AAA Gift Card" - Click on that. They actually offer three types of cards, all being types of "debit" cards.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter