traveler's checks

We started noticing that there were fewer and fewer Canadian banks or other outlets either issuing or redeeming the Amex TCs a couple of years ago. Very annoying, as these were always a good, safe way to carry a cash equivalent when travelling. I recently cashed out my last Amex TCs while on a cruise.

IMHO it is really worthwhile to search for any TCs that you may have put aside and deal with them soon, as I can’t imagine it will get any easier to cash them in at home. The procedures to cash in TCs belonging to a deceased person are a bit convoluted too, had to get help from my bank to complete the redemption.

You cashed yours on your cruise? Did you just go to Guest Services and put them on your account or did you get cash back?

Also, our next trip to the U.S. isn't until next March, so I feel like it's a waiting game for me.

I did check on the American Express site. Scotia and National Bank are listed on there, but they no longer take the traveller's cheques, so I'm holding out for our trip next year.

You cashed yours on your cruise? Did you just go to Guest Services and put them on your account or did you get cash back?

Also, our next trip to the U.S. isn't until next March, so I feel like it's a waiting game for me.

Confession: this was not a DCL cruise, it was Holland America. I went to Guest Services and cashed them. I could also have applied them to our onboard account. The last time I cashed Amex traveller’s cheques on DCL (2014) their default mode seemed to be to apply the cheques to our onboard account.

Ah, well, I had a twist in my saga. First, Currency Exchange can't take Cdn travellers checks, since no Cdn banks take them. But even more than that, she noticed that the darn things were so old, they were first signed by me in my maiden name. I've been married for 23 years. So... I'm not even sure how I'd cash them at an American bank or retailer, since you have to show ID to cash them. I'll be calling AmEx tomorrow, I think. I'm going to check if there's some type of card they can give me, otherwise, I might just have to claim them and have them cashed into CAD.

So, just to let people know, in case anyone else is spring cleaning and finds traveller's checks.... I phoned AmEx today. They are going to send me a cheque for each currency. One will be in Canadian and one in American funds. They said it'll take a couple of weeks. Of course, I had to give them the check numbers and my id, but I'd have to do the same if I was cashing them at the bank. So all's well that ends well, to quote the Bard. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!