Traveling by yourself

jerrysboy40

Mouseketeer
I have been thinking about going to WDW by myself. I am in a powerchair. I have only been in the powerchair for about 3 months. I have Muscular Dystrophy and fell in May and broke my Femur. Since I was off my legs for so long they decided they didn't want to hold me up any longer so I had to go in the chair. Acutally, life is much better now.

I am scared to death, but I want to do this. Have any of you with disabilities ever traveled alone? If so what kind of problems if any did you run in to.

Thanks for your help

Just want to say welcome to disABILITIES.
There are several frequent posters on this board that have traveled to WDW by themselves.
One of the things I can think of that would be helful would be to know which rides/attractions you can stay in the wheelchair for. If you go to the disABILITIES FAQ near the top of this board, you will find a link to the official Disney web page about touring with disabilities. On those, you will find a list of the attractions where you can stay in the wheelchair.

Hi Sue!!! I've been here before;) just under another name. Anyhoo, I guess I'm not to worried about the rides. I'm not a big rider. What I am worried about are the little things, like plugging my chair in at night, the hotel doors are a bite to try and manuvere through by yourself.

I am also thinking about flying (I have never flown before). I am really worried about that because if something happened to the powerchair I would be in a pickel! What about a shuttle to and from the airport? I know about the handicap rooms I have stayed in many of them. I would use a transfer board to get in and out of the shower which I can do on my own.

I just feel this is something I have to do to prove my independence.

We have not used it ourselves, but Mears has a wheelchair accessible shuttle from the airport. Yellow Cab has wheelchair ramp vans, so you should have little problem getting to the resort.
If you have stayed in the handicapped rooms, did you notice if the electrical outlets were paced higher on the walls (like about 12-15 inches off the floor)? The problem I could see is that a lot of times the room outlets are covered with furniture. You might have to get Housekeeping to move some furniture slightly for you. The Special Reservation number should be able to help you out with that.
WDW Special Reservations:
407-939-7807 (TTY: 407-939-7670)

Fot the "air travel with a power wheelchair part", we have not been brave enough to travel with DD's yet. I guess, before going, I'd have the phone number of a repair place in Orlando that can repair/service the wheelchair in case of need. If the airline breaks it, they are responsible to fix it and provide a loaner for you.

If you have a pretty much standard chair, you should be able to get a loaner without much trouble. One of the reasons we have not traveled with DD's power chair is that hers is not a standard size and we would not be able to get a loaner with what she needs; the seat is very narrow for an adult chair and is longer than they make in that width, so her custom chair was really custom. Besides, she has an unusual seatbelt and needs ankle straps to hold her feet down.

There are some DIS board posters who have traveled by air with their power wheelchairs though, so hopefully, you'll get some info from them.

The biggest question you must ask yourself on traveling solo is if you can transfer from your chair to an aisle chair and from the aisle chair to an airplane seat without someone lifting you??

If you can do those things you can probably travel by yourself. As you already stated you can transfer to your bed and bath using a transfer board.

Mears has great accessible vans that you can drive your power wheelchair onto so transfers are no problem.

Opening the door to your resort room may be your biggest challenge as they are not automatic and they have springs on them so they bounce back at you.

Although I vaguely remember reading a thread somewhere where Disney might be willing to remove the door springs so that when you push your door open it won't bounce back at you.

There are a couple of attractions where if even you can transfer, you can't take your power chair through the line, you have to transfer to a manual wheelchair to go through the line. So with noone to push, that may be a challenge. Most WDW attractions can work around that. There are a few attractions where they used to allow ECVs and power chairs to go to the exit, they have now "Mainstreamed" them by asking folks to transfer to a manual chair to go through the line. Star Tours is one that comes to mind.

The only WDW attraction where you absolutely must use a collapsible manual wheelchair is Pirates of the Carribbean. The way the ride is designed they have to collapse the wheelchair and put it on the boat with you. There is no vertical clearance between unload and load, the boats travel through a tunnel just high enough for the boats.

I hope this helps you make your decision.

Carol

jerrysboy40

Hello! First of all it is nice to meet you. I have MD too. I have only flown once and I will never do it again. There are 3 electric wheelchair users is our family who are all assisted by my Dad and Grandma. We have varying degrees of severity. My mom's power chair is the most basic-standard back (no head rest), standard seat, footplates, armrests, etc. She can still walk around the house and do all her own care but can't get things off the floor, shelve, etc. and has little stamina. She uses her chair anytime we leave the house. I am on the other spectrum. In a very everything-is-specialized-wheelchair- :), tilt/recline chair, along with trach, 24 hr. GJ tube feeds, and host of other meds and problems. My sister is like me minus the trach and GJ tube feeds. Anyway, I digress because at the time we flew I had no trach and GJ tube. I am guessing your ability is closest to my mom's with less walking ability. :)

The airport experience:
You must arrive 2 hrs early. Once you get there, they make you transfer to a standard push chair. They then proceed to take apart your chair. They take off the batteries and put them in a seperate box. They disconnect every wire. They take off the armrests and anything else that will readily disconnect. I think they asked if you needed pushed but I would speak up (they are liable to do this by law). Once you get to the airport terminal, you transfer to a very skinny chair that can fit through the aisle. **There are 2-3 steps to board the plane. I don't know how they get the chair up them as my Dad just carried me and helped my mom step up.** The seats are very cramped and it is hard to swing your legs around. The seats are hard to balance on and we were often kinda thrown about. The bathroom is NOT wheelchair accessible. There is a curtain that can be drawn. Once you land the same process occurs and they bring you your chair. The battery is in but the process stopped there. The wires were disconnected (or connected improperly). The chairs were out of gear. Every else was haphazardly thrown on. All our controls were bent and had to be fixed. My mom's footrest was broken. My headrest was bent. The battery wasn't connected to the wires. Grrrrrr...Thankfully, my Dad was there to help us. gimponthego.com has the laws on what airlines are required to help with. Transfers are nearly impossible. Needless to say, we never flew again.

That said, have you thought about getting to your things in your room? Plugs are almost always behind things. I am presuming that you can't reach the floor (sorry if I am wrong :) ) I would be afraid that the valet wouldn't put the suitcase where I could reach it. I imagine that it would be tough trying to unlock the door and pull it open. I don't know where the thermostat is or towel racks. I would be concerned about falling and getting stuck:earseek: Yikes!

Sorry if I sound negative. Traveling in an electric wheelchair with muscle weakness is hard, let alone-alone. You don't need to prove anything. I've learned that my "independence" is unique. My brain is independent and someone else has to be my arms- writing etc. You are obviously still able to function independently with minimal assistance from equipment, which is great! But traveling is a whole other world. If you still want to try, ditch the plane and try Amtrak. Your chair is never seperated from you. Also, I found two websites that hire travel companions-licensed nurses and care attendants-for people with mobility disabilities. There prices are kinda steep and I have never used them but I thought you might be interested. http://members.tripod.com/~Travel_us/index.html and http://www.disabilitytravel.com/index.html
You could always take a friend along too. WDW is always more fun with someone else!

Hope I was helpful (and not discouraging:) ). When you plan your trip, I would be happy to tell you the rides that you can drive your chair on and ride in your wheelchair. All the shows you can stay in your chair. You can PM me anytime!

Take care,
Christamae:) :)

Just one quick suggestion- I always bring a power strip and have someone else plug it behind the nightstand and lay it on top of the nightstand. I have several items to have plugged in every evening and even if you don't, then you can reach the "outlet". I check before going to see if there is space on the left side of the bed ( as you're facing it) for my chair to make it easier to transfer since my equipment stays on my chair but attached to me as well. As for the doors, there is no way to open them independently unless you have a good deal of arm strength and dexterity but since you've stayed in accessible rooms at WDW before you probably know what your limitations and abilities are there. Good luck, but I do agree...you have nothing to prove....just enjoyment of life to be had! Kathy

Originally posted by clkelley

Opening the door to your resort room may be your biggest challenge as they are not automatic and they have springs on them so they bounce back at you.

Although I vaguely remember reading a thread somewhere where Disney might be willing to remove the door springs so that when you push your door open it won't bounce back at you.

Carol

Ask at the desk when you check in for Engineering Services to remove the HYDRAULIC ARM at the top of the inside of your door so that the door will work like a normal door and not automatically close when it is opened. One end of the arm attaches to the door and the other end attaches to the wall and there is a "pump" mechanism in between. They should disconnect both ends and remove the arm. It is easily replaced when you check out. I only had to insist once and that was because the CM did not understand how the door worked.

Originally posted by jerrysboy40
What I am worried about are the little things, like plugging my chair in at night, the hotel doors are a bite to try and manuvere through by yourself.

I'm really worried about flying because if something happened to the powerchair I would be in a pickel! What about a shuttle to and from the airport?

I've never been to WDW on my own, though I spend a lot of my time in the parks whilst my wife lols around by the hotel pool! I also use a powerchair and muscular dystraphy is one of my two alternate diagnoses (other is SMA - doctors say no available treatment for either, so no point in tests to find out which!)

Some thoughts:

plugging in at night - Houskeeping will supply an extension cord so you can park up next to the bed.

If you find scratches along the bottom of your room door, it's a room I have used in the past. I usually get through by pushing the door open with my footplates. I never thought to ask engineering to remove the closer. I always take a pick-up stick with me which helps. Also (until I lost it), one of those retracteable dog leashes to pull open doors. (tie to handle, back up to open door, and reel in as you move forward.). More & more now, Disney is fitting powered doors to hotel entrances.

One problem I often find is not being able to reach the light switch once in bed to turn it off. My wife usually has to turn the lights off. At home I have a switched cube tap that operates with a TV type remote control. If I were travelling alone I would take it with me.

Over the years I have gotten quite bold & direct asking for things and never hesitate to ask for help from passing stangers Can you reach that for me/open that door/pick that up/let me through/adjust my footrest? I find people very helpful and it often gets me into interesting conversations. CMs are also helpful and have carried out minor repairs on my chair for me.

Airlines are not always as careful with my chair as I would hope (things bent, batteries flattened). I have had breakdowns on vacation. Never anything that couldn't be cured by a credit card. Off-site renters will also rent you a replacement powerchair if you alread use one. I always take a list of Orlando area dealers for my chair with me so I can get it repaired if worst comes to worst.

Mears shuttle is an excellent way of getting from MCO to your resort.

One last thing (As I found out the hard way when I had to be pushed to the gate in a dead powerchair) The manual chairs at MCO don't have removeable armrests, so you can't side transfer onto them. They also have flag poles welded on to them so you can't get them into a Mears van to make a transfer. (I think this is to stop theft). The Redcaps will however push you and your powerchair right through to the gate with one hand, pulling his luggage cart with the other. (tip well!)

At home, I always carry my mobile with me for emergencies.

Enjoy your trip.

Andrew

Originally posted by eternaldisneyfan
jerrysboy40

The airport experience:
You must arrive 2 hrs early. Once you get there, they make you transfer to a standard push chair. They then proceed to take apart your chair. They take off the batteries and put them in a seperate box. They disconnect every wire. They take off the armrests and anything else that will readily disconnect. I think they asked if you needed pushed but I would speak up (they are liable to do this by law). Once you get to the airport terminal, you transfer to a very skinny chair that can fit through the aisle. **There are 2-3 steps to board the plane. I don't know how they get the chair up them as my Dad just carried me and helped my mom step up.** The seats are very cramped and it is hard to swing your legs around. The seats are hard to balance on and we were often kinda thrown about. The bathroom is NOT wheelchair accessible. There is a curtain that can be drawn. Once you land the same process occurs and they bring you your chair. The battery is in but the process stopped there. The wires were disconnected (or connected improperly). The chairs were out of gear. Every else was haphazardly thrown on. All our controls were bent and had to be fixed. My mom's footrest was broken. My headrest was bent. The battery wasn't connected to the wires. Grrrrrr...Thankfully, my Dad was there to help us. gimponthego.com has the laws on what airlines are required to help with. Transfers are nearly impossible. Needless to say, we never flew again.

Take care,
Christamae:) :)

Are power chairs that much more complicated that they can't be gate checked??

My hubby uses an ECV that once you fold down the tiller and fold down the seat it fits through the cargo door without being disassembled.

He drives his ECV right to the plane and gets it back as soon as we get off the plane.

Carol

Originally posted by eternaldisneyfan
jerrysboy40

The airport experience:
You must arrive 2 hrs early. Once you get there, they make you transfer to a standard push chair. They then proceed to take apart your chair. They take off the batteries and put them in a seperate box. They disconnect every wire. They take off the armrests and anything else that will readily disconnect. I think they asked if you needed pushed but I would speak up (they are liable to do this by law). Once you get to the airport terminal, you transfer to a very skinny chair that can fit through the aisle. **There are 2-3 steps to board the plane.

I think the procedure must vary airline to airline, aircraft to aircraft. I live in UK and have a 9 hour flight each way by 747. I check in at the same time as everyone else, though I always allow a little extra time, 'just in case'. I ride my powerchair to the aircraft door where I transfer to an 'aisle wheelchair'. my powerchair, like most modern wheelchairs has airline approved batteries (mine are gel type) that cannot spill and can stay in the chair. The ground crew sometimes (but not always) disconnect the battery terminals. I always put it in free-wheel and disconnect the cable from the controller myself, so they can't turn it on. I also take off everything I can (footplates, headrest, cushions) and take them into the cabin for safety. I also take a sliding board to transfer from the aisle wheelchair to my seat and a portable urinal (its a long flight! especially so as I have to pre-board ahead of everyone else, and am one of the last to be taken off.

Andrew

It is more complicated to travel with a power wheelchair than an ecv.
Most ecvs are made to be transported in a car trunk if necessary, so they are fairly easily suited for travel in an airplane. Power wheelchairs are heavier (my DD's is almost 300 pounds) and almost none are able to be disassembled or folded down for transport. For ground travel, you need a ramp or lift van. You can take pieces off (like the footrests, armrests or seat cushions), but the general size and weight stays pretty mcuh the same. Most of the newer ones have sealed gel batteries, as Andrew mentioned, that don't need to be removed and/or boxed.
We have not been brave enough yet to travel with DD's power wheelchair, but have looked into it. (We have been traveling for 16 years with her manual chair). Our equipment company suggested removing the controller from the power chair because that is the most expensive and most easily damaged single piece of the chair. We always remove any easily removed parts of her manual chair - can't fall off and get lost or get bent that way.
If you go to the airlines website, you will find a page about travel with wheelchairs. Sometimes there is a link directly to information regarding travel for people with disabilities. Sometimes you have to do a search, but the infor should be there somewhere. Also, contact your airline and ask to speak to someone in the Special Needs department. They may not call it that, but they all have some area that deals with special needs.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter