Traveling solo with 3 kids

Anitsirk24

Mouseketeer
I have been to WDW several times, both completely solo, and with my family (husband and 3 girls). My husband is NOT a Disney fan, and when I brought up going in 2018, he balked. So I am considering taking my 3 daughters by myself.

By that time they will be 10, 6, and 4. I am very anxious about doing this. So I wanted to ask for tips. Anyone that can give me tips for managing the herd solo in DW or ideas...anything will be helpful.

Also not sure if I should drive or fly...we live in NC and it's at least 8.5 hours, minus stops. We have flown before with the kids but again, that was with the extra adult.

Power to the people! lol ;o)

If it were me I would drive, having the kids in your own car and being able to control things a little better would be a big plus for me. 8.5hrs sounds like a lot, but in reality it isn't that far. I set off for a 3hr trip a few weeks ago, the full family all raring to go to a soccer tournament, all excited about the hotel and the pool and a quick drive down..... well 7.5hrs later we arrived! haha... traffic was horrendous and while it certainly was not an enjoyable trip given the frustrations, the time didn't seem like almost 8hrs! I would look at getting a good meal, set off and then split the trip into 2 sessions of 4+ hrs. Easily manageable and in my opinion a little easier than having the kids at the airport, carry cases, back packs and all number of play things etc...

Being at the parks will be fun! Sometimes not having a negative 'anchor' dragging everything down can make things much easier!

However, on a different note, even if I hated Disney i'd still be going with my wife and children even if it were only for their benefit! That's what being a parent is all about.

The hard thing will be rides that only fit 2 in the seat. You can do bench seat rides but will have issues with molded seats including Seven Dwarfs. The reason being those under 7 have to be seated with a guest 14 or over. So the 6 and 4 year old have to ride with you and the 10 year old can ride alone. Know what rides that will be a problem and set the kids up for that.

You can totally rock this! Your 10 year old could sit with your 6 year old and you sit with your 4 year old when there's only room for two people. If I lived that close, I would do it in a heartbeat! My husband works a lot and I do a ton with our kids on my own and to be honest, sometimes it's just so much easier when he's not with us. Go and have a blast!

You can totally rock this! Your 10 year old could sit with your 6 year old and you sit with your 4 year old when there's only room for two people. If I lived that close, I would do it in a heartbeat! My husband works a lot and I do a ton with our kids on my own and to be honest, sometimes it's just so much easier when he's not with us. Go and have a blast!

That isn't allowed by policy if questioned. Under 7 has to sit with someone over 14.

I forget about the Under 7 rule but it will be an issue with some of some the rides. Lots of things you can ride with your younger two and oldest alone or even all together. You will need to research and make sure the kids know the limits. Your little ones height will come into play as well.

I travel with three kids all of the time. My kids have flown before with just one parent, so I'd choose flying over driving. They are 8,8, and 6 and flying alone with DH next week, The twins sit in front of the adult and younger child. Most rides won't be an issue and the CM are usually super helpful and helping you figure it out too.

There are days when I have taken 4 kids to the parks solo because DH had to spend a few hours working from the hotel room. I will say that it was challenging when 3 of the 4 were under the age of 7 because of the 'under 7' rule that a PP mentioned. Once two of the kids were over age 7 it was much more manageable. You can fit 1 adult and 2 kids on many rides/cars. It just takes a little bit of planning. Haunted mansion, pirates, jungle cruise, tiki room, TTA, Buzz (someone goes without gun...), autopia (mommy drives, no arguing), Tea Cups, Pooh, Peter Pan, Small World, Dumbo, it's all doable, just snug sometimes.

Thankfully I now have 3 kids over the age of 7 so I can rock the parks with 4 kids solo. At least until someone has a melt down and mommy says it's time to go, lol.

Personally, with two under 7 and only one "adult" (over 14) I would not do it. Not because of the herding of the kids but because of the ride limitations. All rides that only fit 2 are out, all rides that the youngest doesn't meet the height requirement are out. Many rides do fit 3 but then the 10 year old is ALWAYS riding by herself or with strangers. It sounds a little disappointing to me. I would wait until the 6 year old is 7.
Now if we went multiple time a year and this was just one 'different' kind of visit then ok. But it this one my one trip for the year or two I'd hold off.

I'm with the camp of, sometime's it is more fun and goes smoother without a grump along. Not that anyone said grump... I'm just going by our past trips. My 9 and 4 year old sons and I always had a blast just us three. When we had DH along and he was feeling grumpy really made things worse for everyone, and since we can't go often, that made me so sad. Just go on rides you can all go on! Pooh! Teacups! Theres tons of them! You'll be fine!

I travel with three kids all of the time. My kids have flown before with just one parent, so I'd choose flying over driving. They are 8,8, and 6 and flying alone with DH next week, The twins sit in front of the adult and younger child. Most rides won't be an issue and the CM are usually super helpful and helping you figure it out too.

You can't always count on the CM being able to arrange for this - and they aren't supposed to. Kids have to be 7 to ride without an adult next to them.

I probably didn't explain myself fully ... The twins have been old enough our last two trips to sit alone, so there age hasn't been an issue. So they just hop on by themselves with DS and me in the car right behind. I've never asked for anything special from a cast member, but they almost always ask or point out - you three here, you two there that kind of stuff. We had a FP (we had ridden everything else and I hate the line there) for Tomorrowland Raceway with two adults and three kids and none are tall enough to ride alone the CM was helpful at saying that two kids could go with one adult on one round then swap drivers to the other child and ride again right after (we didn't know that the cars could fit three people).

So the CM isn't going to break any rules, do anything special, magically find you an extra adult. But they can confirm at the entrance how many people per "car" for that particular ride if you are unsure.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter