Traveling with extended family advice

Veronica E

Earning My Ears
Hi! I’ve been reading these forums for years but this is my first time posting.

We are cruising in February 2020 on the Fantasy. This will be my immediate family’s 5th Disney Cruise, but my extended family’s first. we have a total of 12 people in 3 cabins (2 adults and 2 kids per cabin). Unfortunately all 3 reservations were bought using different travel agents. I have some questions about traveling with linked reservations:
1) will the other 2 reservations be allowed to check in at the same time as us since we have an earlier port arrival time?
2) I read here that disney offers 50% off the 2nd and 3rd picture package. Is that correct and how do I go about purchasing them? Should I buy one ahead of sailing and the other 2 on board?
3) I have all 3 reservations linked under MDE. Is that enough to guarantee we sit together during dinner?
4) Any other tips/info for doing a Disney Cruise with this type of traveling party.

thanks so much for taking the time to read this and give any input. We are so excited for this cruise, just nervous about the logistics 😬

1) will the other 2 reservations be allowed to check in at the same time as us since we have an earlier port arrival time?

We were 4 rooms together - and 3 had an early arrival time and 1 had a later one - so we just all presented together as a group and there were no issues.

2) I read here that disney offers 50% off the 2nd and 3rd picture package. Is that correct and how do I go about purchasing them? Should I buy one ahead of sailing and the other 2 on board?

Buy one ahead of time and the other two on board. If you don't like them, you can cancel up until the last full day (so go up regularly to view the pictures).

Depending on where all the staterooms are located, you might think about linking the door decorations, if you do them. I think you will be fine with your dinner arrangements. You might check with your TA to be sure all your folks are linked. We have gone on several DCL cruises with 11-12 people and we were all seated together at one long table. If you want to break it up, just ask DCL or arrange when you board (check the Navigator to find out where and when). You might want to think about getting matching t or sweat shirts for your mob...always fun for photos and counting noses at various events. The DCL app is handy for keeping in touch with your group. Cruise on...

I have all 3 reservations linked under MDE. Is that enough to guarantee we sit together during dinner?

If you can see all three reservations when you log into your DCL account, then yes you will sit together. We've done this with friends. All booked with different travel agents, from two different countries at vastly different times. In fact, that was how I was able to tell that one set of friends booked at a very late date. I was checking on my account for something and I saw their reservation linked to mine about 24 hours before I got an e-mail from them saying they were coming.

As far as the photo discount goes, you need to contact the photo company, they're not part of DCL, they're contractors. They've got some screwy rules about how the discount works around who has to be in the photos to link them, etc. You'll be better off contacting them in advance. The discounts disappear once you're onboard.

1) will the other 2 reservations be allowed to check in at the same time as us since we have an earlier port arrival time

If one or more of the guests is platinum, it should be noted that only the stateroom(s) containing platinum guests will be able to check-in at the platinum/concierge line.

Although I have witnessed mixed enforcement of this rule, it does seem to be DCL’s policy.

Also be aware that unless things have changed, Boarding Group is linked to your selected PAT, so even if the PAT is not enforced those with a later PAT may receive a higher boarding number. Those with lower numbers are welcome to wait to board with the higher number, but those with higher numbers may not board early with the lower number.

As far as the photo discount goes, you need to contact the photo company, they're not part of DCL, they're contractors. They've got some screwy rules about how the discount works around who has to be in the photos to link them, etc. You'll be better off contacting them in advance. The discounts disappear once you're onboard.
Just a bit of clarification: The pre-cruise discount on the full package isn't available once you board. But, the 50% off second room discount is only available once onboard.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!